Options

What Canon point and shoot?

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited March 11, 2012 in Cameras
Im thinking about picking one up soon.
I've looked at the Elph 300 the Elph 100, and have looked at the Elph 110 that comes out at the end of the month.

I'm looking for something that's fits in my pocket.
I have all Canon DSLR's so I figure the menus should be close and easy for me to figure out.

The 100 is on sale for $129 this week the 110 wil be $250 when it comes out.

I'm not sure that the Digic 5 is worth $120 more than the Digic 4.

Anyway, I'm willing to go to $250, what do you folks think.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm willing to go to $250, what do you folks think.

I don't know because I based my S100 purchase on the lens and sensor specs, and the AF and zoom during video. If $250 is your limit then I would say get something in the HS series with the least amount of zoom you can accept.

Otherwise, if you want a good lens and sensor, the S100 is an easy choice. It disappears into a pocket too.

IMG0202-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Thanks Jack.

I'm looking for a very small pocket camera that's reasonable in price.

I have a G10 already, to go along with a few DSLR's and to many lenses.
    This is for a toss in your pocket, going out to eat, taking the dog for a walk camera.

What I've found out in the past is, I probably won't use this camera all that much, so I don't want to throw a lot of money at it.

My other option may be to upgrade my phone from the Pre Plus to one with a better camera.
    dave.

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    $279 Refurb s90 via Canon store? I held out for the s95 because I wanted the faux tilt-shift and a couple of other things, but it and the s90 are quite similar specs. Speaking for the s95, that thing is *amazing*. I love it, use it all the time, and can't ever imagine going with a lesser PnS ever again - it does everything I could want (and then some) in a package about the size of a cellphone.

If you really only want a "throwaway" camera, then maybe a new phone is the way to go - some of them are way better than lower end PnS!
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I would throw my hat in the ring for the 300HS. It's very small and takes pretty damn good pictures. I always have it in my pocket or in my camera bag when I'm out and about. Picked it up for about 140-150 when Staples had a nice discount coupon for it and it was already on sale for 199 at the time. I seem to fairly frequently see it on sale on slickdeals.net.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    I would throw my hat in the ring for the 300HS. It's very small and takes pretty damn good pictures. I always have it in my pocket or in my camera bag when I'm out and about. Picked it up for about 140-150 when Staples had a nice discount coupon for it and it was already on sale for 199 at the time. I seem to fairly frequently see it on sale on slickdeals.net.

I looked at one of these yesterday, and ordered one this morning.

I'd wait a month for the new versions to come out, but looking at the specs and the new prices, I have a hard time believing that they'll be much better.
    The wife is involved at an art crawl tonight, so I'll probably bring it there, put it on auto, and let it do it's thing.

Thanks for the help.
    dave.

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    It disappears into a pocket too.

sometimes pocket size is the right size!
    cell phone cameras getting better so that's my pocket cam
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I just got my wife the 310HS for her birthday and it's been great so far!