Options

Are you READY? March Challenge: UNVEILED!

sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
edited April 20, 2012 in Weddings
March challenge unveiled: "Use of Veils"

From Sue: Using veils or tulle to add drama, flatter strapless arms, enhance the romantic feel, create a leading line in composition, etc...anything along those lines.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 03/2012 • Unveiled

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please mention YOUR NAME below the photo, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make me chase ya down). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is March 31st Heatherfeather will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by February 2nd :barb

Here are some examples from Sue:
i-BDxcsJF-L.jpg

Let me (or Smurfy) know if you have any questions.

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's gooooooo!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    okay what is maximum file size this allows for uploading ? I've 2 files firstone is 234KB and second one is 432KB and it says file is too large when I select those files.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Hi MJoshi

You should be able to upload up to 50MB - are you uploading JPEGs?

mjoshi123 wrote: »
    okay what is maximum file size this allows for uploading ? I've 2 files firstone is 234KB and second one is 432KB and it says file is too large when I select those files.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    sphynge wrote: »
    Hi MJoshi

You should be able to upload up to 50MB - are you uploading JPEGs?

thanks fixed the problem, trying to upload jpeg instead of jpg files :(
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Ok, everybody...Let's upload more! Heathers is beautiful, but is so far the only one on theme...Not to say the others aren't pretty, just the the use of the veil is not obvious.

Use of the veil for enhancing details, portraits, whatever...just so I know it looks like the veil had something to do with how you thought about the composition, or maybe the wind just took it at the perfect moment! Or maybe you carry a few yards of tulle around in your bag like I do, for those girls who don't wear veils but you know sometimes you will need to hide her upper arms so she'll be happy with certain photos....

Lets upload! Pretty please?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    are hair nets considered veils?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Sure, why not? Bring on the hair nets! (I'm picturing a reception at Burger King, but that could be a fun first!)

Even fabric or a wrap would be fine, as long as it's used to enhance the image.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    A few days left to the veils challenge; it ends this weekend...

Please, all who might be waiting or busy, go ahead and add your images to the gallery!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    I've never really had a bride with a veil, so I guess I'm out for this round! :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Decision time!

Thanks to all who entered! I'll review one entry from each dgrinner after listing the winners. So if you don't want to see critique, don't read past the winners! I have learned alot from past challenges when others took the time to do it, so for those who appreciate it, want to give back.

First place: Not sure from the watermark who this is; hopefully you'll identify yourselves!
    It's dramatic, with a cinematic feel.clap.gif
    vj1-L.jpg

Second place: Quarik
    This is a beautiful bridal portrait, and her headpiece leads the viewer to her eyes.
    candyceanthony-107-L.jpg

And third place: Heather
    Gilliland-8935-Edit-XL.jpg

Other entries: Mjosh123, your bride is very pretty, pleasingly positioned, and the veil is used to minimize one arm. I liked where you were going with the pose. What really distracted me here is the extreme but seemingly pointless tilt, and the low camera angle that gave her a slightly double chin.
    Cait-Weds111125IMG8612-Edit-S.jpg

5. anonymous entry below: No veil, but since it's here, I'm going to give the critique a go.
    This looks like a typical first wedding. It really needed some fill flash and perhaps some off camera flash to get rid of those harsh shadows. But the real problem is just where the image was shot, and how the couple were placed in relation to the light source (the sun). Flash would not have stopped the bride from squinting, but repositioning her would have.
    Looking at the properties, it was shot at F8, at 640 of a second, on ISO 400. The settings were not good choices in this lighting situation.
    Please keep working on the technical basics, understanding the science of your camera's settings, and learn to see light and how it affects your subjects. Using the solid shade of that building across the pond to position the couple in, rather than the location shown here in harsh light, would have allowed for a more evenly lit and flattering image.
    IMG0233-S.jpg

6. Anonymous entry number 2: Pretty shot; the wind caught it!
    Love this location! Thank you for submitting it.
    DM-1-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    Thanks Smurfy for the winners' list and the detailed feedback. After lots of research I found that @Aura is the winner... stand by for the next theme!
  • Options
    AuraAura Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2012
    Omg!!!
    wings.gifbarb
  • Options
    AuraAura Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2012
    Omg!!!!
    Wowww ...
    I never thought actually win it is my first contest ... Sorry for not add before my data.
    I'll be very aware and ready to receive criticism
    wings.gif be happy!
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012