Options

Homelessness' changing image

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited March 12, 2012 in People
I shot this last Saturday at the Starbucks in Ocean Beach. I was just sitting there at 06:00 when in walks this guy. He had on a high end backpack, and a guitar in a case. His clothes are tattered and from looking at him, it no secret he has not had a shave or haircut in a long time. I was curious at that point. Then he pulled out the laptop.

I started up a conversation with him. He worked for many years in L.A., doing the commute from Riverside area like so many do. When the economy tanked, he lost his job and could not find work to sustain himself. He lost it all, but managed to hang on to a few things. He's still looking for work, but not having any luck. He was very articulate and seemed like a smart guy. Some people get out of their groove and have a real tough time ever getting back in it.

IMG1039-XL.jpg

S.C.

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    From the shot, I don't know that I would have guessed homeless.
    I do like the contrast between the computer, the coffee and his tattered jacket and the beard and hair.

So is he actually homeless?

I have to say, there are days when I can't splurge on a cup of coffee. So this image kind of gives me pause.
    I do like the shot though, it just leaves me scratching my head a bit.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    From the shot, I don't know that I would have guessed homeless.
    I do like the contrast between the computer, the coffee and his tattered jacket and the beard and hair.

So is he actually homeless?

I have to say, there are days when I can't splurge on a cup of coffee. So this image kind of gives me pause.
    I do like the shot though, it just leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Yes, he is homeless, and buying that cup of coffee provides him with free wireless all day to continue his search for a job.

S.C.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    S.C.
    Do you happen to have his email contact? My company is rolling out a new project in NY, CA and AZ and we'll be looking for good people.
    Seeing that this guy saved his guitar and laptop, and hasn't given up looking for a job after a while makes me think that he may be a decent person in a bad situation, in which case i'd love to help out if I can.

PS he should look into panera bread locations.. they have free internet access with a purchase of, literally, anything (25c for a glass o juice, and you're set).. I did that about 6 years back or so when I was in his shoes..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I'm not getting the homeless element from the shot, but it's a very interesting story.
  • Options
    GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I think this is a very interesting photo and it makes you rethink "homelessness". I've got a friend who runs a facility for "homeless" people, and her client base has doubled in the past two years. Normal every day middle class families who you would never think were homeless. Great job.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    S.C.
    Do you happen to have his email contact? My company is rolling out a new project in NY, CA and AZ and we'll be looking for good people.
    Seeing that this guy saved his guitar and laptop, and hasn't given up looking for a job after a while makes me think that he may be a decent person in a bad situation, in which case i'd love to help out if I can.

PS he should look into panera bread locations.. they have free internet access with a purchase of, literally, anything (25c for a glass o juice, and you're set).. I did that about 6 years back or so when I was in his shoes..

Sorry, I don't have his contact info, but I may be able to get it. I'll get back to you ASAP.

S.C.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    jpc wrote: »
    I'm not getting the homeless element from the shot, but it's a very interesting story.

The ratty clothes, hair and beard are something of a tell, but not necessarily enough, I guess. Maybe I could have done a better job of including all his possessions in the picture.

S.C.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Gretchen wrote: »
    I think this is a very interesting photo and it makes you rethink "homelessness". I've got a friend who runs a facility for "homeless" people, and her client base has doubled in the past two years. Normal every day middle class families who you would never think were homeless. Great job.

Thanks, and the homeless person in 2012 is much more likely to have been a person of relatively more privilege than those in years past. Lots of people who, while they may have been employed, may have been overextended. This likely exacerbated and accelerated their spiral downwards in to their current state.

S.C.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Thanks, and the homeless person in 2012 is much more likely to have been a person of relatively more privilege than those in years past. Lots of people who, while they may have been employed, may have been overextended. This likely exacerbated and accelerated their spiral downwards in to their current state.

S.C.
    Thanks to the biggest Bank Robbery in history !
    I think there were lots of people overextended,but they didn't have to move out of their 6 million dollar condos. It's really to bad he couldn't get a bail out.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Homeless is a nasty stigma. I've been homeless - twice. I now make a decent wage as the editor of a community paper, and have luxuries - real luxuries - I'd never dared dream of.

It's not where you are in life, it's who you become that matters.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I like the shot, especially when given context. With that said, nothing wrong with discussing the back story but let's just be careful not to slip into a political debate.

Peace, love and lattes to all.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    This picture tells a story that can be interpreted in a few different ways but it's tough times for certain and there are many who are very talented and having a difficult time finding work...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    I really like this photo and I love that it's B&W! I think it portrays a new group of homeless people that are emerging! Not all homeless people are skidrow bums. Now days with the economy as it is, we've seen a huge increase in people loosing their jobs, their medical insurance, and eventually their homes and cars! I think the fact that he kept his computer and is searching for work shows determination on his part. I hope his situation improves soon!
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
  • Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    I have almost worn his shoes. In 2008 I was an OTR truck driver and my wife worked and still works at our local hospital. On Sept 11th (of all days) I had a major heart attack. I was unable to work for a year. Since my income was gone, we were unable to pay the copays so the hospital, (mind you the hospital my wife works for) decided to garnish her wages. This left us down to some paydays to $75 for 2 weeks work. Because of her commute distance, this didn't even pay for gas so she slept in her car. Meanwhile we couldn't pay rent, utilities etc. We were evicted from the house we lived in and by the grace of God my family was able to help us got a new apartment. Things are still tough but now I'm working consistent hour and we're able to met our needs most of the time.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    What a great shot and story. Wishing him and all those that want to do better the best of luck.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    S.C.

I just called the Starbucks, and apparently he has not returned since I called them, but the store manager made sure all employees are aware, and they are watching for him to return. The guy is something of a regular there, so hopefully he's back soon.

S.C.