12-BBB-Rosholt-vs-GD-D1B-058-L.jpg

12-BBB-Rosholt-vs-GD-D1B-088-L.jpg

12-BBB-Rosholt-vs-GD-D1B-090-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Never shot basketball so feel free to totally ignore anything I say as the ramblings of an old man!
    I like your timing - you seem to have a good eye for capturing the peak action.
    They look a little soft to my eyes ... but is may just be noise from ISO. In #4 for example I see the #22 player as sharper than the shooter.
    I really like #2 and #3
    #4 would be my favourite composition
    I can't imagine how difficult it is trying to shot sport in "dark" stadiums so I admire you for the shots you have
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Never shot basketball so feel free to totally ignore anything I say as the ramblings of an old man!
    I like your timing - you seem to have a good eye for capturing the peak action.
    They look a little soft to my eyes ... but is may just be noise from ISO. In #4 for example I see the #22 player as sharper than the shooter.
    I really like #2 and #3
    #4 would be my favourite composition
    I can't imagine how difficult it is trying to shot sport in "dark" stadiums so I admire you for the shots you have

From one "old man" to another . . . "ramble on". I totally accept your constructive criticism. It's one of the tools I use to try to improve my "game".

You are "spot on" for calling attention to the softness of my images. It’s something that I have been fighting with all season.

I don't think the ISO is the problem, I shoot at 640 . . . others shoot at 1600 and get sharper images than mine. I set my camera's focal point to "dead center". I shoot in AI Servo. I adjusted the camera's "sharpness" setting all the way up. I even took a stab at "self" calibrating my lenses to my camera with a "do it yourself" technique : http://www.prophotohome.com/lens-calibrating-a-dslr-is-easy-and-fun-dont-be-a-chicken-just-do-it-peter-gregg I didn't see any improvement.

If you or anyone else out there has any ideas I greatly appreciate it if you send them my way.

As far as my timing . . . with basketball the secret is to study the players and learn their "moves". Whether it is a boys or a girl’s game, they all seem to have their own little "move" or "step" before shooting the ball. About halfway through the season I just about have all the players down pat.

As far as shooting in "dark gyms" . . . my technique is to go with low light lenses, f2.8 or lower. Yes, they can be expensive, but so are "strobes" and "pocket wizards". It’s just a matter of taste.

Thanks again -Mark
  • Options
    xchangxxchangx Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I wold try to shoot at 2.8 and bump your ISO up. Are you shooting with flash on these?

Also get down lower (butt to the ground low).