Options

98 by m. bishop

Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited March 11, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
MikeBishop-Youknewitwasgonnabeafoodfight.jpg

This is my first challenge so I probably won't spend a lot of time with my eyes peeled for the next possible shot. This is what I am looking at going with unless there is just something horrible about the photo that I don't see.

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    MikeBishop-Youknewitwasgonnabeafoodfight.jpg

This is my first challenge so I probably won't spend a lot of time with my eyes peeled for the next possible shot. This is what I am looking at going with unless there is just something horrible about the photo that I don't see.

It appears that you have an almost equal amount of green and red, 50% to 50% ,try haveing one of your colors dominate the other say 75% to 25% this will give you better contrast.
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I like it, but the Coke can is distracting.. Not sure if it adds anything
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    DeuceFour wrote: »
    I like it, but the Coke can is distracting.. Not sure if it adds anything

Really is distracting. I can feel it every time I look at the image. It was meant to give some depth but really failed. I'm not liking it either. Thanx for pointing it out. I didn't realize that I was actually forcing myself to ignore it.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Welcome to the challenges!.
    I'd suggest losing the can, using more depth of field to get the whole image in focus and possible using a less fluffy background. somehow that nice soft fabric interferes with the contrast between the organic-ness of the fruit and the hard figures.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Welcome!
    For me, I would rather see just the robots or just the fruit. I agree that the can doesn't belong.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    There is no doubt the can needs to go. What I have a hard time figuring out is how do I know when something should or should not be there before taking the shot? With the legos and the fruit, I get a lot happening in the image. The can does turn out to just be a distraction.

How do I identify this before taking the photo? I didn't see it as a distraction at first because it is more in the background. I hope that makes since. I've seen other examples of distracting points in backgrounds but really not sure how to pre-identify them before getting them in the image in the first place.

In this case, I was hungry and my subjects were eaten before I realized how stupid that can really is. I can't retake this photo. I don't want this to happen on important shots in the future.
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    This shot would have been really neat I think on a plain white background. The colors would have stood out more, and the background wouldn't be so busy and distracting. I guess normally you want your subject to be just that. Either framed in a way by the background that enhances the subject or makes it stand out more. In this photo with the can and the what looks to be a towel? And only some of its lit and some is in shadow.. Just makes the viewer search around and have to look too hard to pull the main subject out of the background. Hope this makes sense?
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I'm with Donna. Fruit or toys, not both.

Mike - sometimes you don't know until after you take a picture that something isn't working. If it doesn't work, you start over and fix the flaws. Next time, don't eat your subjects. :D
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jberenbajberenba Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    i almost disagree
    Really is distracting. I can feel it every time I look at the image. It was meant to give some depth but really failed. I'm not liking it either. Thanx for pointing it out. I didn't realize that I was actually forcing myself to ignore it.

I took this photo as a war and its red versus green. i thought of the coke as another opponent for red. id try a different object if you were going for that.
    Critiques always wanted and accepted.
    Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
    Joel Berenbaum
    http://joelberenbaum.smugmug.com