Options

Wood Duck

TxPhotoShooterTxPhotoShooter Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited March 20, 2012 in Wildlife
This is my first post in this forum. I was very happy to find this site which has lots of information as well as some great shooters. The photo is of a wood duck which was very challenging to get. They must have a great sense of vision and hearing as I had a tough time getting close enough for a decent photo.

6795470828_fa74bae877_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 9, 2012
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Welcome to the forum, David, and what a great Wood Duck photo! Best, Pam
  • Options
    oldlutheroldluther Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Very good shot of the woodduck, Dave. Good to see a neighbor on here. Maybe we can get together and do some shooting.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    Thanks for the offer oldluther. I am pretty new to these parts having lived near the Gulf Coast for the past 33 years. So I am still searching for areas to shoot around Huntsville.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    nicely done! what a fine-looking fellow! wood ducks do tend to be shy and somewhat skittish. they often don't approach very close (though i've gotten shots from inside 30 feet in the past), and usually tend to swim away if i approach them. but they'll often come within 15-20 yards, as long as i don't move around too much.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    squirl033 wrote: »
    nicely done! what a fine-looking fellow! wood ducks do tend to be shy and somewhat skittish. they often don't approach very close (though i've gotten shots from inside 30 feet in the past), and usually tend to swim away if i approach them. but they'll often come within 15-20 yards, as long as i don't move around too much.

Thank you very much. And you are right about these ducks, it took me about 2 weeks to get this shot.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Very, very good image David. Wood ducks are great subjects. I woudl have given the subject a tad more room on the left while composing the capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Awesome, well done!
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.