Options

Gone Fishing--and one flip I doubt I will see again

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited March 15, 2012 in Wildlife
I have been practicing two things: catching flips, and not underexposing our white Egrets so I can achieve a higher ISO without too much noise with my 7D. I kind of overdid the "not underexposing" part, but when I went back to look at these photos, I thought my camera had had some serious and weird malfuncion: (All comments and suggestions welcome!)

The first four photos were a burst all taken in the same second:

1. The flip:

2012-L.jpg

2. Oops! Here is where I thought either the bird grew a third eye or my camera did something really wrong, but really, the flippee just escaped the snap of that beak:

2012-L.jpg

3. The Egret noticed the problem of its catch falling toward the ground:

2012-L.jpg

4. And made an amazing recovery. No wonder we can't see much with our naked eye--these birds are so fast!

2012-L.jpg

5. The same Great Egret kept fishing:

2012-L.jpg

6. And speared a Bream (according to my husband):

2012-L.jpg

7. And proceeded to swallow it--but I missed the flip, which occurred when the bird had its back to me (at least that is my excuse and I'm sticking with it).

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Both interesting but that first sequence is amazing. Really shows how fast they are. Nicely donethumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    Both interesting but that first sequence is amazing. Really shows how fast they are. Nicely donethumb.gif

Thanks, Dan. That particular Great Egret is smart, too, because it likes to walk around the edges of the lagoon where it fishes, so that when it spears a large fish, it can hop up on the bank right away. That way, if it needs to start over positioning the fish, it can just drop it, and the fish can't swim off. They are so interesting to watch! Best, Pam
  • Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Very nice shots.
  • Options
    TxPhotoShooterTxPhotoShooter Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    What a great series of photos! Nice closeups too!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Wonderful series of shots. Last time I caught a flip it was not a fish but a worm but did not come out well.
    Great work
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Very nice series, Pam.

That second one freaked me out! :D
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    Very nice shots.

Thank you! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    What a great series of photos! Nice closeups too!

Many thanks! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Wonderful series of shots. Last time I caught a flip it was not a fish but a worm but did not come out well.
    Great work

Thanks, Chris. I got lucky to find an Egret that was an accomplished fisherman. That Egret caught one fish after another for the hour I watched, mostly small. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Very nice series, Pam.

That second one freaked me out! :D

Me too, Ric. I was looking at the photos on my computer one at a time, not paying much attention to sequence. When I first saw that photo, I couldn't come up with a rational explanation of what caused it, other than gross camera failure. I mean, fish don't usually fly. When I backed up and looked at the photos as a series, and realized they were a burst all taken in one second, I figured out the story. But that is one weird looking photo, for sure! Glad to hear from you, and appreciate the comment!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 12, 2012
    Great series Pam, well shot
    Yes whites are a real pain. Haha
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Great series Pam, well shot
    Yes whites are a real pain. Haha

Thanks, Phil. Before I met Harry, I thought black was black and white was white, the blacker and whiter the better. He kindly (and for everyone on this forum's benefit) explained that shades of gray are okay, and detail is to be desired. So, I'm still working on it!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    I thought black was black and white was white, the blacker and whiter the better.

Personally, I don't like the blue that likes to sneak into the shadows. It looks unreal...I mean, I don't SEE this. So I desaturate those areas of blue and get those shades of gray instead.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Personally, I don't like the blue that likes to sneak into the shadows. It looks unreal...I mean, I don't SEE this. So I desaturate those areas of blue and get those shades of gray instead.

Thanks, Ric! That is a great tip, too. I will watch for it. Lightroom 4.0 is out, and is supposed to be a big improvement. Hope to receive my copy soon. Best, Pam
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Excellent series & I enjoyed te first series!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Excellent series & I enjoyed te first series!

Thanks, Travis! I love the photo on your home page! Best, Pam
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Very good set Pam. You really have to shoot a sequence at these moments. There's just no way you can time it because the birds are just too fast.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Very good set Pam. You really have to shoot a sequence at these moments. There's just no way you can time it because the birds are just too fast.

Thanks, Harry. I never would be getting these shots if I hadn't read your excellent tutorial, which I recommend to everyone. Best, Pam