Options

Ethics in submitting sports photos

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited March 13, 2012 in Sports
I am an amateur sports photographer in a small country town. I submit photos to our local paper each week. Do you think it is OK to do some (minor?) cloning in a submission to make it "cleaner" with less distractions?
For example:
* clone out a small flag/marking cone in the background?
* clone out a foot or elbow of another player (not involved in the play) that is left in the edge/corner of the frame after a general crop?
* your football photo is not level - sloping horizon. When you rotate it, there is a small wedge of blank canvas left in a corner. Is it OK to fill that blank area in with a clone of some other grass in the scene.
... or would these be ethically wrong as it doesn't depict the scene as captured?

If it is OK to make minor adjustments, where is the line drawn? ... what is considered "acceptable" and what is not?

A little while ago I came across a website of "Top 15 manipulated photos":
http://listverse.com/2007/10/19/top-15-manipulated-photographs/

These are pretty significant changes to the "reality" of the original. So I am wondering if there is ANY leeway in making local changes to a photo submitted to newspapers? :dunno
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I am an amateur sports photographer in a small country town. I submit photos to our local paper each week. Do you think it is OK to do some (minor?) cloning in a submission to make it "cleaner" with less distractions?

I'm going to respond as a newspaper editor, here, one with 10 years design experience, former ME of a small daily - as well as a photog. These are my guiding principles, and may not match those of others. However, I can tell you that these principles are in line with many photodesks, as well as wire services.

For example:
    * clone out a small flag/marking cone in the background?

No.
    * clone out a foot or elbow of another player (not involved in the play) that is left in the edge/corner of the frame after a general crop?

No.
    * your football photo is not level - sloping horizon. When you rotate it, there is a small wedge of blank canvas left in a corner. Is it OK to fill that blank area in with a clone of some other grass in the scene.

Crop tighter. Clone not.
    If it is OK to make minor adjustments, where is the line drawn? ... what is considered "acceptable" and what is not?

Anything in the levels/curves/brightness/contrast/vibrance/dodge/burn/crop/rotate/sharpen* range of tools is OK, as that does not substantially alter the content of the image.

Hence, you could, if you underexposed a face, say, lighten using a curve tool and then history brush the rest of the image to original.

Your hockey pic captured a pink cast of light from the ice? You can tweak the levels to eliminate that. (Check/balance: did the eye see the pink? Probably not.)

Cloning, heavy masking - no.

*Ideally do NOT sharpen. Most pre-press/paginators will do what they need to do for the size the image will be as run.

The other realm where some alteration is acceptable is when required to do so for security or other legal reasons - but that's an editor's job, and must be wtih a disclaimer (e.g. "Police arrest a 16-year-old suspected to be involved in a string of robberies - facial features have been distorted so as not to identify the accused, in accordance with the Youth Criminal Justice Act.")

And now everyone in the forum knows why I don't like a lot of post-processing: 99 per cent of the time, the image I put in a paper is OOC with only a rotate if needed for images shot vertical, a tweak of levels, a touch (maybe) of contrast, suitable curves to compensate for dot gain, file info to embed cutline detail, convert to CMYK/grayscale.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    Thanks for your detailed answer and for sharing your hands on experience. Very much appreciated. Sounds like the same standards as for general photojournalism.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Very helpful summary from an experienced photoeditor--much appreciated!

I've tried to follow two simple rules when submitting: No altered content (i.e., adding or subtracting components in the image, aside from cropping), and adjustments only to bring the image closer to what the eye actually saw.

I once altered a shot of a particular athlete that I thought was an otherwise great image aside from the background clutter, which I totally removed. I sent it to a buddy at one of the papers I shoot for, specifically saying that it was for his enjoyment only, and not to be used as a piece of PJ. He wrote back and told me it was going to be used in an upcoming story! I quickly replied that it was altered, and gave him a link to a gallery of other shots of this athlete that were acceptable PJ images.

Most of us who do PJ are sorely tempted from time to time to alter am image. This is fine for non-PJ uses, but not cool for PJ.
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Whats the overall feeling on Noise Reduction?
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Levels, WHite Balance, Dodge/Burn, Unsharpen. That's the most I'll ever do to a picture I submit to the paper, unless it's an art piece. In that case, all bets are off, but PJ.. Only what I mentioned.

Noise reduction.. I've never had a need. Besides, it's going in print which doesn't replicate noise with such detail as a monitor, so I don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    Whats the overall feeling on Noise Reduction?

To be honest, most presses are horrible in terms of resolution. Don't worry about it in the slightest.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, all of my experience has been with web based news.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies, all of my experience has been with web based news.

Even then, by the time you size your pics down to 500x500 (roughly) for most websites you aren't going to notice much noise..
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Thanks Jim and Moving Pictures - all good information. Learned something today and reinforced that what I am doing in post is OK.