Marina (after presenting prints 5 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in People
Priviet, dear friends!
Not so long ago I've made some photos of this lady on our streets. I've printed some for her but we couldnt meet for this or that reason... So a few days ago I gave her prints, but decided to 'reshoot'...
3161.jpg
B&W version
3158.jpg
I pay much attention to the background - so this one was made in the old part of our city...
3159.jpg
Just 'scenic' photo
3157.jpg
You must remember her blue-blur eyes...
3160.jpg
And its a color variant of the 1-st photo...
Your critique and comments, please...
And yes, it was somewhere around 8C only...
Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Priviet, dear friends!
    Not so long ago I've made some photos of this lady on our streets. I've printed some for her but we couldnt meet for this or that reason... So a few days ago I gave her prints, but decided to 'reshoot'...

B&W version

I pay much attention to the background - so this one was made in the old part of our city...

Just 'scenic' photo

You must remember her blue-blur eyes...

And its a color variant of the 1-st photo...
    Your critique and comments, please...
    And yes, it was somewhere around 8C only...
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    all wonderful Yuri.. 2 and 4 are my favorites.. 2 is haunting..
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 3, 2005
    Yuri, your portraits are always in inspiration, they are just so great!!

Now, I have two comments. In the 4th image, I am struck by the contrast of her flawless complexion with the knuckles on her hand in the lower right corner of the image. Makes me think she has worked harder than her facial portrait might suggest at first glance. Interesting. Did you include that detail deliberately? Or not?

In the second image, the duochrome with her back to the camera. Did you use a second layer for the Gaussian blur. There is a faint outline along her legs and torso that I suspect are due to the GB affecting the dges of her torso that were selected to be excluded from the Gaussian Blur. Is this making sense?? O just sound like gibberish?? I think she was selected and then the selection inverted for the Gaussian Blur - but that it has affected the very edge of her outline - Or is this an artifact introduced by the online digital host of your image and you cannot see it with the full sized image that you have in your popssession? (I sometimes see edge artifacts of images that I have posted to dgrin that I KNOW are not present when the original is examined carefully on my own monitor or even my own print. )

To even ask these question, Yuri - It feels like I am questioning the Pope :uhoh I love your portraits.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Wonderfull as always Yuri.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yuri, your portraits are always in inspiration, they are just so great!!

Now, I have two comments. In the 4th image, I am struck by the contrast of her flawless complexion with the knuckles on her hand in the lower right corner of the image. Makes me think she has worked harder than her facial portrait might suggest at first glance. Interesting. Did you include that detail deliberately? Or not?

In the second image, the duochrome with her back to the camera. Did you use a second layer for the Gaussian blur. There is a faint outline along her legs and torso that I suspect are due to the GB affecting the dges of her torso that were selected to be excluded from the Gaussian Blur. Is this making sense?? O just sound like gibberish?? I think she was selected and then the selection inverted for the Gaussian Blur - but that it has affected the very edge of her outline - Or is this an artifact introduced by the online digital host of your image and you cannot see it with the full sized image that you have in your popssession? (I sometimes see edge artifacts of images that I have posted to dgrin that I KNOW are not present when the original is examined carefully on my own monitor or even my own print. )

To even ask these question, Yuri - It feels like I am questioning the Pope :uhoh I love your portraits.
    Priviet [Hi], pathfinder!
    Spasibo for your interesting and helpful critique!
    1. This lady sometimes works on a street, selling CD. She has several 'business' - flower selling, street CD selling and so on... Sometimes she has to stand on a street, selling CDs... (One of such cold days I saw her and made first 'street' portraits... http://pautov.viplast.ru/index.php?img=3131)

2 Its a try to make 'unusual' view of old part of our city. I used Harry Behret's effect here - copy layer, select Multiply blending mode, GB (2-20 as you like, depending on detail's size) and at last setting opacity to what you need...
    It works also wih b&w photos. You can ask Harry himself here - he's a great photographer and one of my teachers. He like to shoot animals with his Nikon camera.

Again spasibo for your kindest words and critique. It helps me to become better and better!
    Yuri
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    All are beautiful as usual. I really love the B&W treatment of #1. Superb.thumb.gif