Options

Tips on travel

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited August 4, 2004 in The Big Picture
Hey, I'm being asked to write up some tips on traveling with a digital camera. Ye travel veterans, can you chime in?

I suppose the big questions are how to not lose your precious photos, what to do when your memory cards fill up, how to find an Internet cafe, what to do when you find one, etc.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey, I'm being asked to write up some tips on traveling with a digital camera. Ye travel veterans, can you chime in?

I suppose the big questions are how to not lose your precious photos, what to do when your memory cards fill up, how to find an Internet cafe, what to do when you find one, etc.

* don't forget the battery charger(s)
    * have ziplock bags handy, esp at the beach and humid/not humid (a/c) changing conditions
    * have enough memory cards or a means to offload (laptop, port stg device)
    * consider a carbon fiber monopod, unless you will for sure be doing lowlight landscape shooting, then a good tripod
    * a camera backpack by lowepro or tamrac etc is really convenient but if you cannot carry that then a shooter's vest by lowepro really holds all the stuff you could need for a day out shooting.
    * clean your lenses and filters *before* you set out for the day
    * dbl check your neckstrap connections often

i'll think of more i'm sure
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    I have packed my software and USB wire, installed this on a relatives computer and used their computer to dump my then meager 32 mg card.
    I would then e-mail home the ones I chose to keep.

Tim
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 27, 2004
    Baldy wrote:

One thing that I have found very helpful that was unexpected, was how useful I find the 4 Gb MicroDrive cards. I always thought Compact Flash was safer and more reliable ( and I own several CF cards), but it is REALLY nice to be able to go out ALL DAY LONG and shoot over a 1000 frames(RAW + jpgs or 2000+ L jpgs) and never have to open the drive door or swap anything out outside in the real world. Once stored inside your camera, any physical jolt the camera will survive, the MicroDrive will waltz through. Just don't drop the MD OUTSIDE the camera!
    This may allow you to not have to download and store your images until you safely return home if the trip is just a few days and you are not shooting that heavily.

I download the MicroDrive to a laptop Hard drive and an Hitachi 5Gb PCMCIA type removable Hard Drive so that I always have at least two copies of my images. I store them on CDRs once I get home, but find caring for CDRs and burners on the road to be a chore.

On a motorcycle, I use an old P3 laptop without a CD burner, because I can use the Hitachi PCMCIA 5 Gb microdrive to backup data files on the hard drive. Old P3 laptops without CD burner can be bought on Ebay for a song. That way if you lose or break it in an untimely get off - no worries, mate. The data is still on the Hitachi PCMCIA drive - mine is about 4 years old and going strong.
    This is just the way my storing images has evolved over the last 3 years.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Good advice so far. thumb.gif

My feelings:
    • Take plenty of memory. More than normal, because you're likely to shoot more than you normally would.
    • Batteries, batteries, batteries. Take a charger. But also have enough batts on you for a busy day of shooting, because you won't be able to recharge until you get back to the hotel. Nothing worse than running out of batts or memory when there are still good shots to be had.
    • Pack light. Think carefully about what you'll use. Will you really use all of your lenses? How much will you actually cart around with you on a given day? How often do you change lenses, even at home, when you're walking around and shooting? Be realistic. This stuff takes up a lot of room and weighs a lot.
    • Take a tripod. Small and lightweight are good. I like the carbon fibre I have that folds to 20" and extends to almost 60".
    • Don't forget the small maintenace thingies you use. Lens cloth and liquid cleaner, baggies, towels, lens dusters. They don't take room, but come in handy.
    • Be prepared for rain.
    • Camera manual. How well do you know your camera? Are you likely to face a situation where you might need the manual? They're bulky and relatively heavy, so you'll need a good reason to take it. But before dismissing the idea, at least give it some thought.
    • Research before you travel. Where might the good shots be? What might they look like? I'm far from an experienced photographer, but I find that it sometimes helps to visualize potential shots.
    • Non-flash storage. Patch29 espouses the virtues of a CD burner, making two copies, mailing one home. Never done it, never been in a position where I couldn't afford to lose the shots. Sounds bulky to me. But for a pro who absolutely must save their work, it makes sense. Then again, would a pro be reading these tips? ne_nau.gif
    • You hauled your camera with you. Use it. Lots.

Thanks for letting me play! friday.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Good advice so far. thumb.gif

My feelings:

[*] Research before you travel. Where might the good shots be? What might they look like? I'm far from an experienced photographer, but I find that it sometimes helps to visualize potential shots.

Thanks for letting me play! friday.gif

all good, but this one is great. make a post here on dgrin, looking for help from folks. also use other forums. over on stf at dpreview, there's at least a post a day regarding "tips for xxx city or place" great input, sid.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Battery Belt and stuff....
    I've had good results with a Digital Camera Battery model DCB60WB. http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com This is a 10 inch long, 2 3/4 lb slab of battery that is fixed into a modified UFO motorcycle waist belt system.

The belt also carries a 540EZ speedlight( modified to just shoot from the battery pack via a cable I converted never on AA's) a 30gig Nexvue VISTA for storage.
    There is also a small first aid kit and a water bottle fixed. Other space for cleaning gear or whatever is there, it's a pretty big system.

It is a comlete kit but independent from my rucksack/camera bag. I only pick this gear up for an extended trip. It is a managable weight in addition to say the EOS + 200mm @ 12lb in the rucksack with 3-5l water etc.

I have attached extra security/closing fixings by adding additional military snap connectors where needed. A few large cable ties for stiching also helps.

It has survived for a three week trip into the Sahara and looks like it will last for many years. I've also used it with different contents for my bike trips to Nevada.

A good system.

Bod..
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    suuu-weeeeeeeeeeeeeet :grin
    can i use this setup if i don't ride a motorcycle?
    Bodwick wrote:
    I've had good results with a Digital Camera Battery model DCB60WB. http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com This is a 10 inch long, 2 3/4 lb slab of battery that is fixed into a modified UFO motorcycle waist belt system.

The belt also carries a 540EZ speedlight( modified to just shoot from the battery pack via a cable I converted never on AA's) a 30gig Nexvue VISTA for storage.
    There is also a small first aid kit and a water bottle fixed. Other space for cleaning gear or whatever is there, it's a pretty big system.

It is a comlete kit but independent from my rucksack/camera bag. I only pick this gear up for an extended trip. It is a managable weight in addition to say the EOS + 200mm @ 12lb in the rucksack with 3-5l water etc.

I have attached extra security/closing fixings by adding additional military snap connectors where needed. A few large cable ties for stiching also helps.

It has survived for a three week trip into the Sahara and looks like it will last for many years. I've also used it with different contents for my bike trips to Nevada.

A good system.

Bod..
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Side Bag
    The bag attached on the left with the red First aid kit is an addition and was the bag that came with my Olympus 5050.
    So it fits that camera or the flash..
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    can i use this setup if i don't ride a motorcycle?

You sure can Andy......

thumb.gif

• Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    You sure can Andy......

thumb.gif

ahh i was just pullin yer leg :grin
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:

:eek1 Jeepers, that's hardcore!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Hey Baldy, if you're still lookin for info... here's how a Newsweek shooter packs for the Olympics.
    Sid.