Options

senior portrait What do you think

underbunderb Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 12, 2012 in People

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    The second picture is better than the first but one side of her face is a bit hot and there may be too much cleavage for a highschool portrait (that's a very subjective issue, of course). She has a great smile in this one.

I think the first picture is a terribly unflattering pose.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    How about some critique and tips for next time.....

The first image is a little under exposed, but I like it better then the second. I think with a bump in exposure it could definately work. Be careful of the bright spot at upper right. You can use a dark vignette to tone that down.

The second image suffers from several things. The biggest issue is the inclusion of part of her hand. I think you should have cropped that out in camera. The blown highlights on her hand really draws the eye awy from the pretty subject. There is also the issue of the nearly blown highlights on her left cheek. You have also shot her square on to the camera. and from eye level. Had you quartered her shoulders to the camera....and turned her chin slightly toward the light you would have created some natural "short lighting". This would have thinned her face some...and is a very flattering approach for women. Also to flatter....shoot from slightly above eye level.

The third image is a keeper, but theres that partial hand again. Get it all in there or leave it out. Eyes look great. It could use a touch of straightening.

This image doesnt really do anything for me. The lighting isnt pretty or dynamic nor is the pose. Even the old school profile shots kept the entire head in the frame. Id toss it out.

Check out my senior portrait tips. The link is in my signature.thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Don't love any of these, of the set the last is the most flattering to her, keep it.

1 is underexposed she is uncomfortable.

2 she is to square and cramped in the frame, light is not flattering.

3 the pole messes up the shot, watch the clips.

4 is the best, but harsh sun and should have included more of her pretty hair in a portrait orientation...but looks the shoulder looks like maybe she was turned to much for that.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    As you set up your subject for the first photograph your going to take what are you thinking about or looking to do? Too many just plop the subject down in any spot they think looks cool and start snapping away. Not saying you did that but what were you beginning thoughs?

You should study your subjects face, body and decide their strong an weak points. She is not your thin model type and that is OK, (she is really cute), but how are you going to deal with that......stance, body turn, face turn, clothing to lessen the weight, lighting to thin the face, props to hide weight, etc.

Lighting......where am I going to get the best light outside.......do I need and extra flash or reflector or do I need to block light.

Did you coach her on what to wear. If you in a high key area bright clothes are better and conversely if your in a low key area dark clothes are better.

Just some ideas to think about before the first shutter release.