DSS #98 (Contrasting Colors - SOOC) :D

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited March 15, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been taking photos for days without anything that I've been happy with SOOC, which is not my best skill at all! Anyway, out of the hundreds of images I have found some that MIGHT be something I'm not ashamed to show anyone. I really need some other eyes to tell me if these are any good at all and if they are, which one is best of my best here.

I've tried various settings and lighting and even tried painting the flower with light from different directions.

What do you guys all think? Are any of them 'hit the nail on the head' good for SOOC? :)

i-kvDxN3b-M.jpg

i-hzvwKtM-M.jpg

i-bzk2CRD-M.jpg

i-f2TrtQ2-M.jpg

i-VKxgNNq-M.jpg

i-3V4LFBS-M.jpg

i-2xVqKML-M.jpg

i-wzdFrHH-M.jpg

i-2gd5ZcG-M.jpg

i-L5QbCbm-M.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I like #1 and #4 the most of this series. thumb.gif
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I like #1 and #4 the most of this series. thumb.gif

Can you tell me why, or what makes them better than the others?

I'm trying to learn that kind of stuff plus there's this thread about adding 'why' to comments so people will know 'why' Laughing.gif I stared at all those images for so long... I am reserving saying which is my favorite until I get more feed back because I want to know if I'm seeing the same things other people are seeing. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited March 12, 2012
    I was going to suggest removing a couple things until I remembered it was SOOC. oops.

#1 I like the color and placement, shape of the flower from this angle.

#4 has a much more appealing color than the rest (at least on my monitor) Also like the size of the flower compared to the others, much better for printing without cutting the edges of the flowers off.

Looking at them closer #5 looks pretty good for clarity with the foliage darker helping the flower color stand out. Printing it however would be to close to the frames edges and possibly cut off the tips closest to the edge.
    edited March 12, 2012
    I was going to suggest removing a couple things until I remembered it was SOOC. oops.

#1 I like the color and placement, shape of the flower from this angle.

#4 has a much more appealing color than the rest (at least on my monitor) Also like the size of the flower compared to the others, much better for printing without cutting the edges of the flowers off.

Looking at them closer #5 looks pretty good for clarity with the foliage darker helping the flower color stand out. Printing it however would be to close to the frames edges and possibly cut off the tips closest to the edge.

I had forgotten about the printing aspect when I got closer to the flower, but it makes sense.

I agree with you on everything, and I've looked at the images on both my home pcs and my work pc. Now I'm torn between #1 and #4. I'm leaning towards #4, tho. :) It seems more balanced to me like you said... #1 is kind of like the flower is LOOKING at me! Laughing.gif It's kind of unnerving at first... Not sure which one is better tho.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I prefer the closer crops, probably #10 is my favorite. I don't worry about the printing aspect since that, for me, is beside the point. I am only concerned with the overall image. If that goes to the edge of the photo it is ok to me and out of frame works too sometimes. I like the color to 10 for some reason, just personal preference I suppose.

In #1 The plant tag is the first thing I see and for me is very distraction. I do really like the color of the flower in #1.
    #4, the second red flower doesn't add anything to the picture and is more of a distraction to my eye.

:) I am not the greatest at "critiquing" and I think that thread is directing mostly at the gallery comments, but yes, it would help to hear it all here ahead of time!
    edited March 12, 2012
    The two things dnie mentioned as distracting are what I was going to recommend removing. lol :D
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Jenn, I really don't see too much difference among these. The one that stands out for me is #2, because generally I don't like flower shots shot down straight on the flower like you're standing over it. The perspective in #2 is more from the side, which is, I think, a little more appealing. I would suggest, if you have the opportunity to re-shoot, to take some more photos from a more interesting point of view (side, underneath) than just looking down onto the flower.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited March 12, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    I prefer the closer crops, probably #10 is my favorite. I don't worry about the printing aspect since that, for me, is beside the point. I am only concerned with the overall image. If that goes to the edge of the photo it is ok to me and out of frame works too sometimes. I like the color to 10 for some reason, just personal preference I suppose.

In #1 The plant tag is the first thing I see and for me is very distraction. I do really like the color of the flower in #1.
    #4, the second red flower doesn't add anything to the picture and is more of a distraction to my eye.

:) I am not the greatest at "critiquing" and I think that thread is directing mostly at the gallery comments, but yes, it would help to hear it all here ahead of time!

It helps to see people describe what they are seeing. I really like taking the close-ups of flowers, and this flower was just stunning, I thought. It's an odd flower because it has moods. Part of the time it's full open like the first image shows.. then it'll close up slightly like some of the other images, and then it almost closes all the way all in the same day and just hours apart.
    The two things dnie mentioned as distracting are what I was going to recommend removing. lol :D

IF it wasn't SOOC I WOULD! Laughing.gif For me .. these are probably a personal best I've ever taken straight out of the camera. :D
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Jenn, I really don't see too much difference among these. The one that stands out for me is #2, because generally I don't like flower shots shot down straight on the flower like you're standing over it. The perspective in #2 is more from the side, which is, I think, a little more appealing. I would suggest, if you have the opportunity to re-shoot, to take some more photos from a more interesting point of view (side, underneath) than just looking down onto the flower.

hmmm ... You don't think the center of the flower begs to be part of the shot? I almost would feel like the best part of the flower was left out of the image if I took a shot from the side or bottom, but I'll see if it's even doable for this particular flower. Good idea to consider.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited March 13, 2012
    I've taken a few more photos that I think are better than my first group.

I have 2 monitors and they look slightly different on each one. These look best on my monitors: 11, 13, & 15.

Which one of these looks best on your monitors? THANKS.

i-RCBM6sQ-L.jpg

i-qzz2LHm-L.jpg

i-Sx4zPVp-L.jpg

i-9tW6KK9-L.jpg

i-jRWjhz2-L.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    I agree with these all being improvements and my favorites are 11 and 15. The flower looks monstrous, like a welcoming cradle. I think 15 has a good balance of red and green colors.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    I think of these my personal favorite is 11, but I really like 15 too.
    Toss between those for me.

Need a why?
    mostly just because I like them. :D But the color in those is best for me. I like the greenery behind both. 11, I like the close crop and angle you shot at.
    15, I like that you used rule of thirds, like the placement of the flower.
    The others, the colors in 12 and 14 look a bit washed out. 13 is ok... leaf in bottom left is too bright for me.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    I like #2. I like that the flower is not fully opened, the added lines in the greenery & that the flower is a touch off to the left - I also like that when looking around the shot, there are some subtle things that draw me in, like the little bug and the hairs on the end of a few petals. Nice! Also, to me most of the others have an added third dominant color, as the center of the flower appears to be purpley rather than black. I don't believe that is a no-no per the rules or theme, but for me, a shot with three fairly dominant colors would not hit the challenge theme as well as one with only two dominant contrasting colors.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited March 14, 2012
    Pat664422 wrote: »
    I agree with these all being improvements and my favorites are 11 and 15. The flower looks monstrous, like a welcoming cradle. I think 15 has a good balance of red and green colors.
    dnie wrote: »
    I think of these my personal favorite is 11, but I really like 15 too.
    Toss between those for me.

Need a why?
    mostly just because I like them. :D But the color in those is best for me. I like the greenery behind both. 11, I like the close crop and angle you shot at.
    15, I like that you used rule of thirds, like the placement of the flower.
    The others, the colors in 12 and 14 look a bit washed out. 13 is ok... leaf in bottom left is too bright for me.
    lkbart wrote: »
    I like #2. I like that the flower is not fully opened, the added lines in the greenery & that the flower is a touch off to the left - I also like that when looking around the shot, there are some subtle things that draw me in, like the little bug and the hairs on the end of a few petals. Nice! Also, to me most of the others have an added third dominant color, as the center of the flower appears to be purpley rather than black. I don't believe that is a no-no per the rules or theme, but for me, a shot with three fairly dominant colors would not hit the challenge theme as well as one with only two dominant contrasting colors.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm liking the same images and even #2 makes me want to study it more because of your comment Lillian. The #15 does look more like it's in a better position for the rule of thirds, too, and I see what you were saying about #14 having the brighter leaf in the lower left, which I hadn't noticed before.

Now how do I choose? Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    IMO, the contrast pops best in #3, with the smaller spot of red on the green background.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com