Options

Parmigiano Reggiano Cracking

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited March 18, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Last Saturday, March 10, we stopped by the local Whole Foods Market to pick up a few goodies. I did not want to leave my camera in the car so I took it inside with me. After we got inside we learned the store was going to crack open two wheels of Parmigiano Reggiano as part of the company's setting a new record for the most wheels of cheese cracked simultaneously - "The Crack Heard Around The World". They were planning on cracking 372 wheels of cheese at Whole Foods Markets across the US, Canada and the UK. We thought this would be interesting enough to wait around a few minutes for. While we were waiting for the cracking to begin one of the market's cheese buyers told us about the cheese, very interesting. The local marketing manager invited me to take photos of the event. Sounded good to me. Lets see - tele lens, only an on camera flash; sure I can do that (if I can only keep heads out of the way and settle for a narrow depth of field).

These photos were taken at the Whole Foods Market in Portland Maine where they cracked two 85 pound wheels at the appointed time. There was quite a crowd there as is normal around here when there is a chance that free food might be available. We tasted the cheese just after it was cracked and it was delicious. We left the store with a pound of Parmigiano Reggiano in our possession (and some bread, wine and pasta sauce); I somehow think that was part of the market's plan. We made some pasta that night with the cheese finely grated on top - wonderful.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-M.jpg

1 - The knives used to crack a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-4-M.jpg

2 - The wedge shaped knife that is pressed into the center of the wheel to help open the center of the cheese.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-2-M.jpg

3 - This marking is branded into the side of a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-3-M.jpg

4 - The markings on the side of a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-5-M.jpg

5 - Scoring the rind of the wheel to prepare it for cracking.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-6-M.jpg

6 - This type of knife is driven into the score at opposite ends of the wheel to start the cheese cracking.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-7-M.jpg

7 - As the crack opens, the knives at the sides are moved down the sides of the cheese to open the crack wider.

Parmigiano-ReggianoCracking-8-M.jpg

8 - Time for tasting.

Comments