the next 98

Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited March 15, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Tried to go with a big mix of all the advise from my first attempt. I think I have an inner darkness that always wants to show because I'm not feeling the white backdrop as much as a black one but I'm thinking that is just me.

With the white back, I aimed for more lighting. This one used two 27w CFL lights above, One 13w CFL backlight and a +1 pop-up flash.

Depth of field and asthetics still confuses me I guess. In this case, I aimed to get the figures in focus as much as possible while blurring out the detail of the canvas board in the background. I think this worked out well. Sometimes I am not really sure if I should be letting a subject drop out of focus or aim to keep the whole subject within the DoF. As I look at it, the left green foot is bothering me more than the detail of the canvas would.

IMG_2349.jpg

Comments

• Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Going by the one clock I had forgotten to set forward, I was already up past my bedtime when I decided to fix this photo. This challenge really is a challenge because I always wanna shoot with my aperture wide open. I have to learn that I can't do that all the time.

MikeBishop-BionicleConflict.jpg
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I like this later one better with the shadows underneath. However, the texture in the background is a little distracting. Can you re-shoot with that further away from the figures?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    I like the latest one better also - nice focus & positioning. To make it more dramatic, eye-catching or possibly eerie, you might play with the location of the lighting - try putting most of your light on just one side with a little fill on the other (or from the front), maybe shine a flashlight in the "eyes" to bring them out some, or try lighting them from underneath. You could even play with the camera angles some also, or maybe put the figures really close together & try some really close-up shots (might not work, but you never know). You could play with the darker background too, but your figures might not show up as well as they do with the white. Great idea - just play around with it.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Very creative!

To me though, a more connection between the 2 contrasting colors would be better...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com