Options

need some DSLR lens advice

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited November 3, 2005 in Cameras
So... umm... I broke my ultra-compact Canon. :cry

I was going to replace it with an SD550, but my wife has an ultracompact as well, so I was thinking of getting a DSLR instead.

I am very strongly leaning towards the 350D, but I know the kit lens isn't stellar. So I am looking for a good starter lens. Obviously I am not looking for something super expensive, but I don't mind paying $200+ for one that will be worth it.

Most of what I will be taking photos of is family events, vacations... etc. I am definitely taking amateur shots, I just want them to come out well so that I actually enjoy browsing through my galleries! :thumb
Smug since 2003

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Ben i have only good things to say about that kit lens. For what it costs & what it can do ...its a must have.

If i think im going into dangerous territory & need a lens on that will cost me under $70 to replace then its great to have in your pocket.

Gus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 3, 2005
    Wow, 'gus, you sound like your'e gwine inta combat!!:D But thinking of the kit lens as a disposable item is a new angle to me. Life must be tougher in OZ than I thought. Maybe Mad Max was right!

I have suggested the Tamron 28-75f2.8 Xr Di several times, but it is still a very good choice, and just seems to fit the 20D so right in my hands. It has not let me down - it does have a little flare shooting straight into the sun, but then so do some of my L lenses too.

The Canon 24-105 IS L will probably be my replacement for the Tamron, but it is not in the same price bracket. Nor is it "disposable" as is 'gus' kit lens.:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ben i have only good things to say about that kit lens. For what it costs & what it can do ...its a must have.

If i think im going into dangerous territory & need a lens on that will cost me under $70 to replace then its great to have in your pocket.

Gus
    Hrmm... good to know. I am still leaning towards dropping some more money towards a good lens though. Baldy doesn't know the specifics on this particular lens... but says it is in the range I should be looking at. Anyone use this lens or something in that general range that they would recommend?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=129189&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I second Pathfinders recomendation on the Tamron 28-75. I recently picked up this lens to replace the kit lens and have been loving it ever since. I kept the kit lens to have something on the wider end when I need it.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Wow, 'gus, you sound like your'e gwine inta combat!!:D But thinking of the kit lens as a disposable item is a new angle to me. Life must be tougher in OZ than I thought. Maybe Mad Max was right!

I have suggested the Tamron 28-75f2.8 Xr Di several times, but it is still a very good choice, and just seems to fit the 20D so right in my hands. It has not let me down - it does have a little flare shooting straight into the sun, but then so do some of my L lenses too.

The Canon 24-105 IS L will probably be my replacement for the Tamron, but it is not in the same price bracket. Nor is it "disposable" as is 'gus' kit lens.:):
    Never walked anywhere & thought "hmm...better be carefull with slipping here & cracking the lens" ?

Its a diff lens i know but what i do with the 135 prime on & what i do with the kit lens on are 2 totally different things. I know the camera comes into the equation but the lens is in the direct line of fire for a slip on wet rocks etc.

I simply think that people overlook the lens without really trying it because its cheap. The 10-22 cost me $1K USD & its a piece of crap sharpness wise.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    thanks for the feedback. :)

I actually just bought the 350D and the Tamron lens, so the recommendations better be right!

And thanks for the insight 'gus! I hadn't planned on getting more than one lens, but I very well may pick up a cheaper lens at some point to take with me whenever I do something with a high probability of disaster. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 3, 2005
    Be sure and post your feeling about your choices after a suitable period of introduction with them, Please thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I woulda reccomended the sigma 24-70 f2.8, simply for the fact that it has 4mm more on the wide end (much more important than 5 on the long end), and it looks more modern, for whatever that is worth. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8