Options

Water Polo Shots

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited March 16, 2012 in Sports
These are a little old, I've been meaning to post these shots for awhile.

I came upon and decided to try my hand at shooting water polo, and when all was said and done, there were a few shots I really liked.

All shot with a 40D and 24-105 f4 lens

What do you think?

#1(My Favorite)
IMG0018-L.jpg

IMG0059-L.jpg

IMG0154-L.jpg

IMG0029-L.jpg

C&C Welcome!
Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 14, 2012
    Looks like some tough light to shoot in.

The first has the best action for sure. But, the shadow takes a bite out of it for me (tho the face is well exposed).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »

The first has the best action for sure. But, the shadow takes a bite out of it for me (tho the face is well exposed).

I was going to say that I like the unusual lighting on the first one; kinda gives it a special feel!
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    #1 - just goes to show how fast the ball is travelling ... 1/1000 sec and still blurred (good effect). Great timing and composition here I feel. Love the fact that the player's face and upper body is lit up in bright light. Good expression.
    #2 - the focus on the back player doesn't work for me on three fronts. The closer players are in bright light whilst the in focus back player is in shadow. Secondly the back player takes up so little of the image. Thirdly the action is with the front players whilst the back player is a head in the water ... easy to have her lost as my attention is drawn straight to the two closer players
    #3 - is fine - would work better if there was a little more tension in the throwing arm or the player's face?
    #4 - doesn't do anything for me. No action / no story.
    Looks like a lot of fun though. I'm thinking it must be a tricky lighting situation as water can be so reflective.
    Love to see more examples ... with more focus on action / faces / water spray / ball movement. I think you could build up a stunning collection.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »

haha, I liked that it brought focus up to the action... :)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    I was going to say that I like the unusual lighting on the first one; kinda gives it a special feel!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2012
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    #1 - just goes to show how fast the ball is travelling ... 1/1000 sec and still blurred (good effect). Great timing and composition here I feel. Love the fact that the player's face and upper body is lit up in bright light. Good expression.
    #2 - the focus on the back player doesn't work for me on three fronts. The closer players are in bright light whilst the in focus back player is in shadow. Secondly the back player takes up so little of the image. Thirdly the action is with the front players whilst the back player is a head in the water ... easy to have her lost as my attention is drawn straight to the two closer players
    #3 - is fine - would work better if there was a little more tension in the throwing arm or the player's face?
    #4 - doesn't do anything for me. No action / no story.
    Looks like a lot of fun though. I'm thinking it must be a tricky lighting situation as water can be so reflective.
    Love to see more examples ... with more focus on action / faces / water spray / ball movement. I think you could build up a stunning collection.
    I never thought about the blur aspect in the first shot, good point...

I enjoyed it, it was more for fun than anything else(I was taking a photojournalism class at the time)

And, I do have a few other shots from other sports i'm going to share, I just need to start getting out more to build up my portfolio... :)

Thanks,
    Ben