Contrasting Colors??

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited March 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I hope I'm not the only one a bit confused as to what is going to qualify as a contrasting color. I always thought purple/yellow, blue/orange, green/red were the basics.

But in the Challenge gallery I'm seeing:
yellow/blue
blue/lime green
reddish-orange/white

I'm getting confused. I thought I knew what contrasting colors were .. :scratch
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I hope I'm not the only one a bit confused as to what is going to qualify as a contrasting color. I always thought purple/yellow, blue/orange, green/red were the basics.

yellow/blue
    blue/lime green
    reddish-orange/white

I'm getting confused. I thought I knew what contrasting colors were .. headscratch.gif
    By the two posted color wheels (light and pigment) only yellow/blue are. The others are not.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I would hope that as long as the colors have a reasonably strong contrast, even if they aren't direct opposites, the picture would still be valid.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »

yellow/blue
    blue/lime green
    reddish-orange/white

I'm getting confused. I thought I knew what contrasting colors were .. headscratch.gif

I am like you. I am used to the regular color wheel that I know from every art class for 6 years of school... The other, while valid for what it is, isn't one I am familiar with, so I probably will go with the familiar one.... But it is nice to have the option to be different.
    The definition on the "Contrasting Colors" link is 'Two colors from different segments of the color wheel are contrasting colors. For example, red is from the warm half of the color wheel and blue is from the cool half. They are contrasting colors.' So, just stick what you are comfortable with. If people don't agree that it is the right colors... they are going to tell you. well, hopefully they will ahead of time. :D
    The ones in the gallery... maybe they are not using their colors in a way that will get them votes. There is not rule to say you have to do it a certain way. Just like every challenge, people just won't get the votes if others don't see their vision.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    I am like you. I am used to the regular color wheel that I know from every art class for 6 years of school... The other, while valid for what it is, isn't one I am familiar with, so I probably will go with the familiar one.... But it is nice to have the option to be different.
    The definition on the "Contrasting Colors" link is 'Two colors from different segments of the color wheel are contrasting colors. For example, red is from the warm half of the color wheel and blue is from the cool half. They are contrasting colors.' So, just stick what you are comfortable with. If people don't agree that it is the right colors... they are going to tell you. well, hopefully they will ahead of time. :D
    The ones in the gallery... maybe they are not using their colors in a way that will get them votes. There is not rule to say you have to do it a certain way. Just like every challenge, people just won't get the votes if others don't see their vision.

So if a picture is in the challenge gallery, but it doesn't have contrasting colors, is it going to be eliminated?

Also, I'm not even sure how to vote because if an image doesn't look like it is contrasting colors by the color wheel I'm used to I'm probably not going to vote for it because it won't fit the challenge. I wish we'd just use one color wheel.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
    edited March 12, 2012
    No, as Jag said
    JAG wrote: »
    People will need to get both colorwheels opened when they go to judge this and see if each image meets one or the other contrasting colors definitions. Not too difficult to do.
    They just may not get the votes if it doesn't fit.
    Your vote... not sure what to tell you. I will be pulling up both of the color wheels and seeing if I feel it fits.
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Humm... Can someone tell me what the complementary color to Grey is? Some contrasting / Complementary combo's create a pleasant combination, but some do not. I am thinking of a composition that is intended to evoke an emotion that uses Grey, but not sure what should be the opposite color. Any ideas?
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    Humm... Can someone tell me what the complementary color to Grey is? Some contrasting / Complementary combo's create a pleasant combination, but some do not. I am thinking of a composition that is intended to evoke an emotion that uses Grey, but not sure what should be the opposite color. Any ideas?

Gray is not a color. It is a lack of color. It is already a mix of opposites colors in the pigment color wheel. So goes color theory.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 13, 2012
    I agree with Don. Grey is considered a neurtral, just as black and white. I suggest that your read the article given as a refresher coarse on the color wheel.

As for Jenn, yes there are those in the gallery that are not contrasting colors. It will be up to everyone else to judge and vote using color wheels as a guide.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Pat664422 wrote: »
    I would hope that as long as the colors have a reasonably strong contrast, even if they aren't direct opposites, the picture would still be valid.

I'm tempted to think like this too ne_nau.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    So, is it safe to say that I should not use Grey as one of my contrasting colors... or lack thereof?
    edited March 13, 2012
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    So, is it safe to say that I should not use Grey as one of my contrasting colors... or lack thereof?

I don't see it on a color wheel, I probably wouldn't use it.

*edit:
    But then, it is all in your interpretation. I tend to be very literal, too much so at times.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 13, 2012
    I will clarify again, grey, black and white are not part of the color wheel. They are considered neutrals.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Well, if nothing else this challenge, we will all learn about the color wheel(s)!!

Funny thing is, I've seen lots of contrasting colors while out shopping but doubt the stores would look kindly on a photographer setting up shop. I saw a display yesterday that just screamed this challenge (bold bright colors seem to be in this spring--especially blue & orange together). I tried getting a shot with my cell phone camera, but the lighting in the store was pretty bad. At least, I now have some more ideas to try. Between the entry gallery and what others are already working on I noticed that my first three ideas are already taken (doggone it).

Sherry