Options

Shooting in/around public buildings

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 13, 2012 in People
Yes, I've seen this, but it doesn't entirely answer my question.

I may have a shoot next week, and it would be very cool to use the gardens of a local courthouse as a location (I've wanted to for ages, and this might be just the right subject for the look). Does anybody knowt he legalities of this and/or how I would find out? Does it count as public property? (I'm assuming yes, but since it's courthouse/police station, wasn't sure if that changed things). I've been googling to no avail so far, but just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anybody knew the scoop....

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    I've shot thousands of images in and around public buildings. If it is a public building you can shoot there as long as it is open to the general public, not disruptive, and not specifically illegal. For example, you can't shoot a movie there or do a big production with 6 assistants. If you keep it fairly "down-tempo", maybe a couple speedlights and brollies, no one should bug you. If you look suspicious and start taking pictures of the building itself, it is not uncommon to be questioned.

Here in Utah public buildings are used all the time for fashion work, wedding shots, etc, etc.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    In your neck of the woods, it might be good to call ahead. Either stop by, or see if there is a front desk number for the courthouse, or call the police in that area. I theory, you are within your rights w/o having to call, but if you can head if off, why not. David Hobby had a post on Strobist suggesting you do this (and acknowledged that some folks would think he was caving in to the tramping of our Photographer's rights).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    What Andrew said.

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Thanks guys! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Diva,

I shoot the same types of spaces you describe for many of my on location shoots. I have never asked in advance, nor have I had any problem other than maybe waiting for another photographer to finish their task and move out of my shot. Even the other photgs Ive run into this way are courteous. The key, as mentioned, is not to make a big ado about it. A bag of gear, a single stand and umbrella, an assistant to steady the light stand and a subject.....I think you will be alright. Large complicated light schemes...and an entourage and you may have problems. Be sure that whatever you are doing causes zero inconvenience to the folks that are using the building and grounds for its intended purpose.

Be patient if passersby wander into your shot.deal.gif

I have gained a standing offer of a conference room to be used for clothing changes at one of my most oft used downtown locations. It is a govt building!:D