Options

Photographer Resume

shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited May 10, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi guys! Let me first start off by saying I haven't done a resume in years. 15 years to be exact (lucky me right?) Since 2003 I've been shooting Event Photography and actually making a living from it now.
I have a very popular website here in Detroit and it has became a work horse pulling in many photography jobs for me and other photographers.

I've done ALL sorts of photography. At least I've tried to do all sorts (lol) But I'm having a hard time doing a resume. I don't consider myself being a pro yet. Haven't had any formal training. All self taught.

But now I want to apply for this job and not sure how to build this resume. I did a terrible job of keeping track of my clients. Yes I can say I've done photography for Ford, GM, Fox News, Live Nation, etc. But a lot of those jobs weren't official. I was either helping someone else, or doing a favor for an employee that worked at a department there.

What should I do? I need a little direction here. Don't wanna lie or embellish too much. But I do have a brand name in these parts that's been going strong for 10+ years now. And have photography work displayed in a nationally known artist CD sleeve. :dunno But does this sorta thing count?

Anyone have any resume templates they recommend as a starting point? :deal

Comments

• Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    I just had to build a resume as part of an award for which I'd been nominated. I've never had to do a resume before, but I found some great templates using a program called Pages. It may be a Mac only program, I think it came as part of iWork. It was great for helping me build a resume. My resume wasn't for just my photography work, but nevertheless, the templates may help you.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    kd2 wrote: »
    I just had to build a resume as part of an award for which I'd been nominated. I've never had to do a resume before, but I found some great templates using a program called Pages. It may be a Mac only program, I think it came as part of iWork. It was great for helping me build a resume. My resume wasn't for just my photography work, but nevertheless, the templates may help you.

If only I had iWorks I could see what you were talking about. I'm a PC user :)
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I just Googled "resume templates for photographers" and there looked to be a lot of promising sites.
    Some had Word templates, others showed examples. I think you will get some help there?
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I would google around and look at LOTS of pro resumes for the field as well as ask around the photo forums. Look at the resumes for photographers with similar experience/credits to your own.

You're smart to ask, though, as each professional field has its own preferences and requirements. I know as a musician, resumes are nothing at all like a regular business one (eg, for a singer it must be 1-page only, no "job descriptions" just lists of gigs, performance experience more important than education, sometime they actually want a biography instead of a written CV etc etc).

Good luck with it, and do post back here if you discover a concensus - I'm sure it will help somebody else down the line, too thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I would google around and look at LOTS of pro resumes for the field as well as ask around the photo forums. Look at the resumes for photographers with similar experience/credits to your own.

You're smart to ask, though, as each professional field has its own preferences and requirements. I know as a musician, resumes are nothing at all like a regular business one (eg, for a singer it must be 1-page only, no "job descriptions" just lists of gigs, performance experience more important than education, sometime they actually want a biography instead of a written CV etc etc).

Good luck with it, and do post back here if you discover a concensus - I'm sure it will help somebody else down the line, too thumb.gif

I just want to thank you guys for your help. I did look online and did the cookie cutter thing. I didn't hear back from the job, but at least I have something!