Options

Some 2 000 students protested peacefully this Tuesday afternoon in Montréal,Canada

joelbourgoinjoelbourgoin Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited March 15, 2012 in Street and Documentary
MG2200-M.jpg

MG2157-M.jpg

MG2110-M.jpg

MG2082-M.jpg

MG2069-M.jpg

MG2029-M.jpg

While students wear their shoes on the asphalt to oppose the thaw tuition, senior leaders of Quebec universities have shared nearly one million dollars in golden parachutes for their retirement. A compilation made ​​by the Journal de Québec, from documents obtained under the Access to Information, we learn that the rectors, vice rectors and deans other checks totaled $ 942,304 at the time bid farewell to their respective owners.

These advantages, perfectly legal, are provided in the "Protocol Executives' or in internal regulations of the universities. In the case of networks UQ (University of Quebec), conditions of employment are set by the Government. For other institutions, these are the boards that make the decision.

Severance pay the most generous was given to Judith Woodsworth, former rector of Concordia University. The latter is left with a check for $ 169 573 excluding severance pay of $ 747 045 that had sparked controversy there about fifteen months.

If the pundits universities should decide on a whim, to retire this morning, they would receive all the tidy sum of $ 2.7 million.

The former Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Réjean Hébert, was entitled to a severance payment of $ 115,445 by retiring from that position in September 2010. Whoever comes to formalize his candidacy for the PQ in the riding of St. Francis (Eastern Townships) still remains an employee of the Sherbrooke University as a professor in geriatrics. "I never ceased to be a professor and do research even when I was dean (between 2004 and 2010)," he told the Journal de Québec.

Students outraged

Not surprisingly, student representatives - on strike for three weeks for good some of them - have roundly denounced those bonuses.

"Again, university leaders do what they want with public money. This is unacceptable, insulting and unwarranted. Students are asked to pay for these abuses there, "choked Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, spokesman for the Coalition off the Association for Student Labor Solidarity (CLASS).

The reasoning is the same side of Martine Desjardins, president of the Quebec Federation of University Students (FEUQ). "It's shocking, disturbing and frustrating, she lamented. Looks like the handshakes of a multinational and everything is done on the backs of taxpayers. "

The highest paid

In 2010-2011, the annual salary of some university leaders hovered near peaks. Here are the emoluments of the five best-paid bosses:

- Richard Levin, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, McGill: $ 518,101

-Heather Munroe-Blum, Principal, McGill University: $ 369 250

- Guy Breton, Rector, University of Montreal $ 365 000

- Judith Woodsworth, former rector until December 22, 2010, Concordia University *: $ 351,750

- Frederick Lowy, Rector, Concordia University: $ 350 000

- Allan Peter Todd, Dean of the Faculty of Management, McGill: $ 340 000

Severance

In retiring, these five people have received severance pay:

- Judith Woodsworth, former rector until December 22, 2010, Concordia University: $ 169,573

-Daniel Bénéteau, Vice President Human Resources and Administration, University of Quebec at Rimouski: $ 148,923

- Guy Lemire: Secretary General, University of Quebec in Abitibi-Témiscamingue: $ 137,414

- Christiane Piché, vice president, research and creation, Université Laval *: $ 119 872

- Réjean Hébert, dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Sherbrooke: $ 115,445

* His severance package was $ 747 045.
I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY PASSION FOR PHOTOGRAPHY WITH YOU.

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    A nice group of demonstration shots. But please, please, please get rid of the watermark - it really distracts from the photos. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    A nice group of demonstration shots. But please, please, please get rid of the watermark - it really distracts from the photos. :-)

I love my watermark ... ;)) lollll What you say you right, but....
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Please excuse my STRONG opinion on this point. I think adding your logo to an editorial news shot it is unethical. A lawyer might even claim it is illegal. Did you have a model release? Then you can't use the shot for promotional or commercial value. Putting your logo on the shot could be argued in a court of law to be doing just that. It makes it look like you're trying to capitalize off of other people's distress. Please reconsider adding the logo to your news & street shots. Save it for the shots for which you have a release from the subject.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    :) LIKE THIS RYANs (:
    http://joel-bourgoin.smugmug.com/Journalism/Manifestation-Étudiante/21845662_Vp7fwJ
    RyanS wrote: »
    Please excuse my STRONG opinion on this point. I think adding your logo to an editorial news shot it is unethical. A lawyer might even claim it is illegal. Did you have a model release? Then you can't use the shot for promotional or commercial value. Putting your logo on the shot could be argued in a court of law to be doing just that. It makes it look like you're trying to capitalize off of other people's distress. Please reconsider adding the logo to your news & street shots. Save it for the shots for which you have a release from the subject.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Nice work

BTW you're watermark is neat, but Ryan does have a point (I have no opinion on the matter)
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 14, 2012
    Hey Ryan,
    I'm a little confused here. One sees watermarks on almost many editorial pics in print media and online--AP, Magnum, Reuters, whatever. Leaving aside the distracting nature of this particular watermark, why is this different? I was under the impression that editorial pics do not require a model release in any event. What am I missing headscratch.gif?
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    Richard,

Yeah, it bugs me just as much when the big guys do it. As i stated, it is my opinion. I just happen to feel strongly about it. Plastering "CNN" next to your video of people jumping out of a burning building to their deaths is just as wrong. The producer _can_ pull the logo. They just don't do it very often. All I can personally do is ask people to reconsider. Many photojournalists and news organizations do not do this. When they need to attribute an image, they put some text under the image where it is published. I have a lot of respect for Reuters in this regard: http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures

Magnum, AP and Reuters have quite a few lawyers to help them out in a lawsuit. Ya know?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Richard,

Yeah, it bugs me just as much when the big guys do it. As i stated, it is my opinion. I just happen to feel strongly about it. Plastering "CNN" next to your video of people jumping out of a burning building to their deaths is just as wrong. The producer _can_ pull the logo. They just don't do it very often. All I can personally do is ask people to reconsider. Many photojournalists and news organizations do not do this. When they need to attribute an image, they put some text under the image where it is published. I have a lot of respect for Reuters in this regard: http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures

Magnum, AP and Reuters have quite a few lawyers to help them out in a lawsuit. Ya know?

Sorry, Ryan, but I believe you are dead wrong on the reasoning - although I think we both agree that watermarks degrade images. It's not a matter of the big guys having lawyers - Magnum, AP, etc., watermark to make it clear they own the images. They have the right to do what they want with the images. Putting your name on them in a watermark is no more commercializing them, or no more unethical, than putting a credit line with them. I sure think its unaesthetic, but it's not unethical or illegal. Sorry. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Ok, let me try to clarify. I was talking about branding, not a watermark. The issue isn't protecting an "owned" image. It takes money to gather and report news. In the US it also requires a profit. An investor needs to have a return on an investment in order to start the machine moving. Using an intrusive watermark to protect an owned image is part of the business because we need to be in the business of making money for the papers or magazines we shoot for. It isn't perfect and frequently leads to abuses. That's why we need to maintain a certain ethical standard we won't deviate from. We need to help keep the industry honest because there is always someone motivated by greed or fame trying to pull it the other way.

You can sell a lot of magazines with an image of someone in some kind of dramatic or deadly situation. Is that okay? Yes, because at some level it isn't just about making bucks, it is about informing the public. Using a byline to indicate the source of the image provides 1) credibility, 2) copyright protection, 3) profit. Using some kind of branded "stamp" on the image (not for copyright protection, but for BRANDING) I think crosses a line. You are no longer selling the image to produce a means to gather more news, you are trying to associate your marketing brand with someone else's suffering. I am putting my foot down here. That is wrong!

Let's take an example. Eddie Adams's pulitzer prize winning photograph of a South Vietnamese police chief executing a Vietcong prisoner. This is an image that needed to be shown. It changed people's perceptions and the course of history. Eddie (well, the AP really), has the rights to control the image. They can certainly watermark the image to prevent it from being misused or "stolen." What I've never seen them do is "brand" the photo with an "AP" logo in the corner in a publication. If they had, you might object to their aesthetic choice. I would object to their moral one.

Hope that helps make my point more clearly.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I love my watermark ... ;)) lollll What you say you right, but....

Joel...great pics...job well done...as to watermarks ... ... ... ... Watermark to your hearts content...do not worry about what people say...if they do not like they do not have to look and criticize the watermark...way to many on forums want to criticize the watermark instead of looking past at the image....no watermark will stop the stealing but at times it does make it a lot easier to say that image belongs to me when you are confronting the thief .... ... just my extremely humble opinion on watermarking ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Joel...great pics...job well done...as to watermarks ... ... ... ... Watermark to your hearts content...do not worry about what people say...if they do not like they do not have to look and criticize the watermark...way to many on forums want to criticize the watermark instead of looking past at the image....no watermark will stop the stealing but at times it does make it a lot easier to say that image belongs to me when you are confronting the thief .... ... just my extremely humble opinion on watermarking ...

Thanks Ary Scott...