Options

Wildlife photography in Africa for beginners

HMBergerHMBerger Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited March 21, 2012 in Wildlife
Dear enthusiasts, and especially old age pensioners who dream of taking a trip to shoot wildlife in Africa, my wife and I, "old age adventurers", would like to mention that are african wild life photography site has now opened. Our baby has been born after a prolonged and difficult birth!:clap

For the last 7 years we have spent 4-6 months a year in our Landcruiser with rooftop tent in game parks all the way from the Kruger to the Serengeti. The site is mainly setup to show our photographic attempts. However, we also want to share our experience(s) with other beginners. Thus there are tip sections on 4WD, travel, and photography. There are many wonderful internet sites and books on each of these fields by experts, but we felt a beginner's viewpoint talking about choice, failures, and a few cuccesses may encourage other retirees to get the camera and car out, and become fellow "old age adventurers" in Africa.

In all the above we were absolute novices. I still am in setting up a website and terms like html,CSS, & JS are now hovering above my head like vultures in Etosha (I love them!!). Thus in one month the help of the heroes of SMUGMUG has enabled me to publish our dream. Thank you guys so very very much, we appreciate the friendly patient help ++++++++.

We will continue to update the photos and tips as we have 7 years to cull and extract.

The site is www.africaraw.com

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Very interetsing site with cool photos and some good info. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Howard and Marianne, you two are amazing, and your photography looks like anything but beginner to me! That leaping leopard series on your home page is a world-beater! Welcome to the wildlife forum, if this is your first visit, and I look forward to updates. Best, Pam
  • Options
    HMBergerHMBerger Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Thank you for the kind comments & encouragement
    We do spend a great deal of time at this hobby or should I say unpaid career. We are so glad we retired a couple years earlier. It has meant less cash but more time. We compensate by living simply and sleeping in our roof top tent night after night in the fenced and unfenced camps of Africa.

The only thing amazing about us is the immense patience, and the ability to gaze thru viewfinders for an achingly long time waiting for something to happen. But then again my whole life I have just sat, done nothing and dreamt. Now i still do that, but with a crooked finger resting on the shutter button.