Options

Retro Pin Up

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 23, 2012 in Go Figure
I have a thread on this endeavor in the People Forum, but thought this image might be a tad too sexy for over there.

I am trying to achieve the innocent, implied sexuality, look from the fifties and the sixties in this image. You know, hinting at the possibility that you might get some without coming right out and saying it. The post work was meant to achieve the press printed look of either standalone card stock or magazine prints and I want to get the post process down to a paint by numbers system.

Any input, good, bad or otherwise from you folks that shoot a lot of females in a sensual manner is appreciated as I don't do much of this at all.

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Bryce,
    the idea is nice thumb.gif, but the execution...rolleyes1.gif

Robert Alvarado stopped using the circle thingie a long time ago. It became such a clichet, almost like a selecting coloring. I would *really* suggest to use a path less traveled... deal.gif

I would also ask for a slightly higher quality images (feel free to put the watermark on if you're afraid of copyright infringment). The quality of attached images is so bad that's it's hard to tell if this is low-res artefact or a flaw in the image. Trying to provide a serious critique on such a low-res copy is akin to proverbial trying to judge Pavarotti's voice mimicked by your 90yo neighbor over the cell phone with the bad reception... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Bryce,
    the idea is nice thumb.gif, but the execution...rolleyes1.gif
    Appreciate the input!
    Robert Alvarado stopped using the circle thingie a long time ago. It became such a clichet, almost like a selecting coloring. I would *really* suggest to use a path less traveled... deal.gif

Nope! The whole idea IS to be cliche. I want the average schmo to look at these and instantly know that this is a pin up. They may not know who Robert A is/was but when they see that circle even the dimmest of the dim think "pin-up". I have very good reasons for this, but I wont bore you with the what's and whys.
    I would also ask for a slightly higher quality images (feel free to put the watermark on if you're afraid of copyright infringment). The quality of attached images is so bad that's it's hard to tell if this is low-res artefact or a flaw in the image. Trying to provide a serious critique on such a low-res copy is akin to proverbial trying to judge Pavarotti's voice mimicked by your 90yo neighbor over the cell phone with the bad reception... mwink.gif

I frequently get complaints that my images are low res here. I'm just trying to live within the rules and size restrictions of the site. When I do an image reduction in PS which settings would you recommend?

Again, the image is intended to replicate the four color off-set printing used by cheap magazines in the fifties. The processing to achieve this effect along with the artifacts that were added in post may be part of the issue.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    I frequently get complaints that my images are low res here. I'm just trying to live within the rules and size restrictions of the site. When I do an image reduction in PS which settings would you recommend?
    Do not attach. Upload to your site and hotlink it from there.
    Again, the image is intended to replicate the four color off-set printing used by cheap magazines in the fifties. The processing to achieve this effect along with the artifacts that were added in post may be part of the issue.
    As I said: the *idea* is nice. But IMHO you have failed to deliver...ne_nau.gif Imitating certain cheap quality (like film, or the 4-color offset printing of yours) is not necessarily an easy task. I must admit, I don't have an immediate solution (never thought of it), but what I see here is not "it"...deal.gif
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Bryce, I like where you're headed. But honestly I would lose the typewriter, I find it real distracting. Her in a shirt and tie, with a pencil tells me what I need to know, office setting. Maybe find a free image of a steno pad and shop it in, laying on the floor in front of her? I looked around last evening for any types of retro stuff like this, but didn't find alot, I was going to send for you to look at. Oh, and I put a rounded corner vignette preset on my LR some time back, and have actually found it quite nice for the old photo's. Can't tell you where I got it, one of those free presets places.

That's weird, my post is on both of you're threads, wow.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Bryce, I like where you're headed. But honestly I would lose the typewriter, I find it real distracting. Her in a shirt and tie, with a pencil tells me what I need to know, office setting. Maybe find a free image of a steno pad and shop it in, laying on the floor in front of her? I looked around last evening for any types of retro stuff like this, but didn't find alot, I was going to send for you to look at. Oh, and I put a rounded corner vignette preset on my LR some time back, and have actually found it quite nice for the old photo's. Can't tell you where I got it, one of those free presets places.

That's weird, my post is on both of you're threads, wow.

Thanks for the input on the typewriter. It does make it busy doesn't it?

I'll play around with some vignettes and see what they look like. Still playing around with different background "objects" and of course the cheap magazine look that is eluding me.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Gonna try posting a plain image via link and see if the quality is any better.

6988932801_85c4b22b6d_o.jpg
    Pretty Woman In Dress Shirt And Panites by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    I find this last one vastly more apealing and interesting.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Last one is *way* better! clap.gif
    Solid starting point for a nice clean pinup image! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    djames wrote: »
    I find this last one vastly more apealing and interesting.
    Last one is *way* better! clap.gif
    Solid starting point for a nice clean pinup image! thumb.gif

Thank-you gentlemen!

The problem for me is, this image doesn't SCREAM pin-up to me.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    Thank-you gentlemen!

The problem for me is, this image doesn't SCREAM pin-up to me.
    But adding a circle and a typewriter just screams distraction and poor photography in the first place.
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    djames wrote: »
    But adding a circle and a typewriter just screams distraction and poor photography in the first place.

Correct.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    With the help of Alex, I've gotten better at the post work required to make the images more Pin Up'ish.

Figured I'd post a couple and get thought on my progress.

6862888242_62d5f7100f_o.jpg
    Vintage Style Baseball Pin Up Girl by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

7003197927_c54a9b9722_o.jpg
    Business Woman Pin Up by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6862936778_9b85c84708_o.jpg
    Vintage Pin Up Girl by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Much improvement. The model and the "ad's" tie together nicely. I especially like the firs one.