#98 Trying Again C&C plz

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
edited March 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's springtime in Texas and even though I kind of hate to post more flower pictures, that's what I have today. I do have another set of ideas, but won't get to try that until the weekend. My first set of challenge images "auto-rotated" on download (which changed the exif) & I deleted the images before I noticed my dates. So for these, I found the switch for 'auto rotate on download' and turned it off. I also did not delete anything off the card. (Yup...learned my lesson...) Notice that my 'portrait' style pics auto-rotated anyway & have the exif changed. Grrrrr..... Anyway, I'm not going to worry about that unless I decide to go with one of those shots, then I will download it straight from my card to the challenge gallery.

Below are some options from today. Please let me know if anything grabs you enough for me to enter. There are a couple that I really like, but again, there's already several flowers in the gallery and these are just more flowers--but I NEVER get tired of flower pics!!! :D

1. Indian Paintbrush
i-KCpPHXq-L.jpg

i-gv5vKXn-L.jpg

i-5DjkT8r-L.jpg

i-mt2jDs9-L.jpg

i-Wj5mZ3S-L.jpg

i-sNk9kdB-L.jpg

So, are these different enough or should I go back to the drawing board?

Thanks for looking.

Sherry

Comments

• GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    My personal fave is #4. Love the feeling of the whole field of flowers and the pattern repetition. Although I like the soft focus overall, I feel like it could be a bit sharper in the upper middle. On #3, I am distracted by the blue flowers (for this challenge) and on #6, I like the DOF, but am distracted by the horizontal fence in the background and wish it could be cropped. GP
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I like #1 best. Can you get more details on the flower?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Nice shots! For the challenge this time, I like #4, then am tied between #1 & #6. #1 seems like it needs a bit of contrast for it to be striking, & #6 is awesome - DOF, Focus, lighting, except that fence line.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Thank you Greta, Tatiana, and Lillian.

As much as I usually like SOOC challenges, I'm finding that I really want to edit these flower pics to really make them pop. I agree that #1 could use a little more contrast (all of them need it!).

I took these pictures while on a family road trip about 80 miles from home. We never have the nice fields of wildflowers right around where I live, so I have to drive a bit to get to them. I won't have a chance to go back before the challenge ends.

My favorites from these that I posted are #5, #6, and #1. I noticed the fence in #6, but it didn't bother me until you said it was distracting. (Now I think it is, too.) I like that the spot of blue in #5 keeps it from just being a red & green picture. I have quite a few shots like #1, but this is the best one SOOC. The one that shows more detail is too dark.

I appreciate the feedback.

Sherry
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I was looking, at looking at #3, and came back to it several times.

What I think is that if an image shows spots of colors it can be a very nice and effective image, even though it doesn't have clear details - like the impressionists used to do.

#3 has also an increased contrast vs. the other images.

But, what makes it more distinctive (and here your creativity shows up), is actually the little blue spot of color. That is the "exception to the rule" thus making the rule (of color contrasting) more powerful.

- Yes, I (personally) find that the little blue spot makes the contrast more relevant and the image more interesting and artistic. If you post this one, I'll vot for it thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com