Couple of garden bugs with my new Camera

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited March 18, 2012 in Holy Macro
Hi All, Not been around the macro section much for a while. Very little time for photography and a bugless winter ;).

Anyway, I'm now the proud new owner of an EOS 7D

First chance for a few shots. Two to be exact and one crop. Must admit, I'm finding macro quite tough with the new camera, not sure if it's the larger resolution sensor but it seems that the very slightest deviation from the focus point and I'm OOF. I thought the camera might be back-focusing (so I've got Mr Iddon on the case reviewing some of my shots). I think it's probably more likely my noobness with the new camera :).

Anyway, a Spider and a Ladybird... the first bugs I've found so far. These are straight out of the camera. I used on board flash on these, I'll switch back to my diffused speedlite of course. Images shot RAW > Converted to JPEG. No sharpening done. Only modification was to introduce a touch of exposure and levels in the ladybird shot.

Opinions on the shots would be appreciated. Mainly from a do you think the camera is fine :). Focus in these is naturally on the eyes. Taken using my Sigma 105 (planning on upgrading to a Canon 100mm (possibly L) later this year.)

IMG0366-O.jpg

IMG0283-O.jpg

A Crop of the above.

IMG0283b-O.jpg

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 16, 2012
    Focus looks great on the lady, spider cant tell really as light too harsh & burned out fine detail !
    should be manual focusing anyhow :D
    more likely just out of practise, i find takes a few trips to get back into macro mode! might take me a bit longer after my birding trips!
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Haha, indeed Phil :)

I'll be putting my speedlite back on and diffusing again. I just used the on board flash for the time being on these. You're right, probably just well out of practice :).

Cheers mate.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Agree with Phil, the lady bird looks good. Congrats on the new camera
    Brian v.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Thanks Brian,

One of the things I noticed with the 7D is that I can show the actual point where the focus was on the review image in camera. I've set it to Spot AF for my macros and notice that quite often the focus point has risen a little above where I'd placed it. Naturally this being down to hand held so a lot more practicing needed methinks.