Options

One-Of-A-Kind Pontiac Concept Car

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited March 17, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
It's easy to see the family lineage behind this car. It has lots of the design features seen in the Camaro and Firebirds of the times. Bill Mitchell, General Motor's design chief at the time, wanted to take that basic design to another level and he had Pontiac create this concept car known as Pegasus.

Enzo Ferrari made a generous offer to provide Ferrari's top exotic motor for the project. Mitchell gladly accepted. The Pegasus is powered by Ferrari's 365 GTB/4 ( Daytona ) V-12. A GM Turbo-Hydramatic auto transmission was initially installed in the car. That transmission proved, however, to be ill-suited for the high-strung Ferrari engine. A Ferrari 5-speed manual transmission was then fitted and was, of course, very successful.

Luigi Chinetti's Ferrari race team further massaged this engine with high-overlap cams and big-bore Weber carbs. This thing could burn serious rubber when shifted into third gear. As with all Mitchell concept cars, this one is beautifully finished out.

Tom

Amelia-Show-1-2012-112-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-108-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-113-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Wow that is nice... super shots too...

Ha! Enzo used to support putting in their engine to other cars.

I'm reminded of Bill Harrahs Jeeparrari.

A hotrodding old dog (5+yrs ago) in a local car club had a 4 door Corvair with a Ferrari motor mounted in front; what a sleeper.

He used to be King when checking his oil, he drew crowds.

Another member of that club (who had more money then he knew what to do with) was building a custom and wanted a new Ferrari engine, the new operators of Ferrari refused. This guy threatened to buy a new car, pull the engine, junk the car and film it. Ferrari sold him an engine (early 2000)
    Rags
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    More nice shots from my favorite car guru! I like the detail in #2. I don't understand much at all of what you described, Tom--except for the part about "this thing could burn serious rubber in third gear": that means it goes fast! rolleyes1.gif

Is this a recent show you attended?

Hope you are well--
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Wow that is nice... super shots too...

Ha! Enzo used to support putting in their engine to other cars.

I'm reminded of Bill Harrahs Jeeparrari.

A hotrodding old dog (5+yrs ago) in a local car club had a 4 door Corvair with a Ferrari motor mounted in front; what a sleeper.

He used to be King when checking his oil, he drew crowds.

Another member of that club (who had more money then he knew what to do with) was building a custom and wanted a new Ferrari engine, the new operators of Ferrari refused. This guy threatened to buy a new car, pull the engine, junk the car and film it. Ferrari sold him an engine (early 2000)

Hi Rags,

I love good car stories...almost as much as I love good cars.:D

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    More nice shots from my favorite car guru! I like the detail in #2. I don't understand much at all of what you described, Tom--except for the part about "this thing could burn serious rubber in third gear": that means it goes fast! rolleyes1.gif

Is this a recent show you attended?

Hope you are well--
    Lauren

Hi gal,

Yes, these were shot last Sunday. And, yes, that Pegasus car is fast.

You know, there's an interesting consideration when talking about fast cars....focusing here on cars you and I could buy ( if we had the money ) today: In spite of regulations out the kazoo, and Green Group resistance, etc., etc., there are more extremely powerful cars for sale today...capable of faster speeds than ever before...than at any time is history. I'm kind of surprised that it has evolved that way.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    I have been enjoying looking at your auto shots. Looks like I am going to have to time my next trip home, Fernandina, when the car show is there. I have never attended and it looks like I have missed a lot.