Options

C&C Senior Shoot

CodoggCodogg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited March 20, 2012 in People
Just looking for ways to improve. Thanks for all your help.
Thanks,
Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com

Comments

• Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    2nd Photo
    2nd Photo
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    rosiebud320rosiebud320 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2012
    Awesome
    Codogg wrote: »
    2nd Photo

Love your work!clap.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Hi Cody....and welcome to Dgrin.thumb.gif

- I like the first shot. Her smile appears genuine, and the lighting is nicely done. For benifit of improvement, she could turn her shoulders slightly toward the camera so the you aren't shooting square onto the one shoulder. Also, be careful of pushing contrast too far. On my monitor (yes....calibrated) there are large ares of her hair that have no detail. I didn't take the time to measure, but the blacks appear to be plugged.

-The second photo doesn't work for me. As a concept, I REALLY like the idea (might even borrow that one!), but the location kills it for me. There is just simply too much background clutter. Keep trying this, but make an effort to find a street lamp with a more aesthitic background. Look for a spot that has repititious elements in the background. I can think of several of my normal haunts that would be perfect for this. Thers a location out there for you! You just have to find it!deal.gif

Thanks for sharing. Hope this was helpful.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Lovely work. Since you asked for critique, I'll add some nits (but truly just nits): in #1, I wish the hair wasn't falling over her front shoulder and covering her neck -- would look better I think if it stayed behind her shoulder. In #2 I don't mind the background at all, but think the horizon should be straight -- there's so much going on in the picture already, a straight horizon would help make it simpler to look at. On a conceptual level, I'm torn about #2. It's pretty and is compelling. But on the other hand, it's very posed and doesn't make much sense (why is she lying down in the sidewalk?)
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Really nice job... well done...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    The first one is spot on for me and what a cutie, you did her justice. On the second one try a wide angle to separate her more from the background.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    Thank you all!!! I really appreciate the help.
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Hi Cody....and welcome to Dgrin.thumb.gif

- I like the first shot. Her smile appears genuine, and the lighting is nicely done. For benifit of improvement, she could turn her shoulders slightly toward the camera so the you aren't shooting square onto the one shoulder. Also, be careful of pushing contrast too far. On my monitor (yes....calibrated) there are large ares of her hair that have no detail. I didn't take the time to measure, but the blacks appear to be plugged.

-The second photo doesn't work for me. As a concept, I REALLY like the idea (might even borrow that one!), but the location kills it for me. There is just simply too much background clutter. Keep trying this, but make an effort to find a street lamp with a more aesthitic background. Look for a spot that has repititious elements in the background. I can think of several of my normal haunts that would be perfect for this. Thers a location out there for you! You just have to find it!deal.gif

Thanks for sharing. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you...this is very helpful! I have a few more that I might post later. What's the best way to post more than one photo at a time?
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Very pretty young lady.
    As Jeffreax mentioned too much black point in 1. If you had taken a couple steps to the right and used the wall she is against as the entire background angling from the left and disappearing into the distance on the right, would have worked better.
    This would have given you a less extreme angle with her shoulders, and don't crop through the middle of the bust. This angle would also remove the wall on the right which is distracting.
    I like how you placed her in relation to the light.

2 I think is a really cool shot, if she had arched just a bit instead of laying flat flat, or up on her side on an elbow, would have been better..or seated with her back to the pole knees up and staggered..
    Think you missed the focus just a hair on this one and the color is pinkish (maybe you meant it to be). Buildings look slightly tilted. Love the low angle and maybe a levels adjustment, although I think you may have muted the tones in this on purpose.
    I actually like this location, specifically because she looks so out of place in this element, the background is blurred enough that it is not distracting to me.
    I really like your low angle on this one to incorporate that cool sidewalk.
    This girl looks like she would be a great natural poser if you just let her freestyle.

Lots of potential here, keep at it.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Very pretty young lady.
    As Jeffreax mentioned too much black point in 1. If you had taken a couple steps to the right and used the wall she is against as the entire background angling from the left and disappearing into the distance on the right, would have worked better.
    This would have given you a less extreme angle with her shoulders, and don't crop through the middle of the bust. This angle would also remove the wall on the right which is distracting.
    I like how you placed her in relation to the light.

2 I think is a really cool shot, if she had arched just a bit instead of laying flat flat, or up on her side on an elbow, would have been better..or seated with her back to the pole knees up and staggered..
    Think you missed the focus just a hair on this one and the color is pinkish (maybe you meant it to be). Buildings look slightly tilted. Love the low angle and maybe a levels adjustment, although I think you may have muted the tones in this on purpose.
    I actually like this location, specifically because she looks so out of place in this element, the background is blurred enough that it is not distracting to me.
    I really like your low angle on this one to incorporate that cool sidewalk.
    This girl looks like she would be a great natural poser if you just let her freestyle.

Lots of potential here, keep at it.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I can't reall improve on the comments above but I will say I like # 1 a lot. It might want some color adjustment to the skin tone but maybe not. anyway, it's quite beautiful.

# 2 is a nice idea but doesn't really do much for me.

AND welcome to Grin. I've learned a ton here and if you just listen, you will too.deal.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen