Options

I broke my shutter.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited March 19, 2012 in Cameras
Is it worth getting a Cannon 40D shutter fixed v Buying a second one instead as a backup to my 5d2?
Kind regards
Patrick.

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    If you want to stay with the 40D, it might be. shutter repairs usually go from $100-300, and a used 40D is $400 or so. Then again, you might want to upgrade to a T3i, 60D or something.
  • Options
    onesickpuppyonesickpuppy Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Well...that depends on how long you are going to keep and use it......IF your a CPS member (gold) a shutter replacement is about $300....now if you don't plan on upgrading any time soon
    then maybe it would be worth fixing...but then again...used 40Ds are going for about $400 and dropping.....so $$$ sense would say to buy a used one...or apply to a slightly newer model
    like a 50D
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    If you want to stay with the 40D, it might be. shutter repairs usually go from $100-300, and a used 40D is $400 or so. Then again, you might want to upgrade to a T3i, 60D or something.
    Which of the two would mean a significant jump in tech and low light with equal shuuter speed to the 40D
  • Options
    LarryDLarryD Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    A new shutter also gives you a clean and lube and overal check-up.. If it is a camera you like, this will be like getting a "refurbished" camera back.. good for many more years of use.

If you buy a used camera, all you have is one used camera and one broken camera....ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    I took the lens off and for some reason i pushed the mirror up and its stuck there. This means i can still use live view to take pictuures but i think that has its limitations too.
    The curtain is working fine.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    You broke the mirror assembly. Maybe jammed it. The shutter should be fine. Don't know how much a mirror replacement costs.

The T3i and 60D have the same sensor - the 60D has the advantage in terms of handling, build quality, fps, etc. If you mainly use the 5DII and don't use the 40D that much, you may want to just keep the 40D and use it in live view when you have to use it.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    You broke the mirror assembly. Maybe jammed it. The shutter should be fine. Don't know how much a mirror replacement costs.

The T3i and 60D have the same sensor - the 60D has the advantage in terms of handling, build quality, fps, etc. If you mainly use the 5DII and don't use the 40D that much, you may want to just keep the 40D and use it in live view when you have to use it.

If my mirror assembly is broke and stuck in the up position, does this mean my shutter is ok?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    Theoretically yes. I don't really know how the mirror assembly is set up in relation to the shutter (I'm sure Ziggy does :D) but unless you're getting a black line at the top or bottom of your photos, your shutter should be fine.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Theoretically yes. I don't really know how the mirror assembly is set up in relation to the shutter (I'm sure Ziggy does :D) but unless you're getting a black line at the top or bottom of your photos, your shutter should be fine.

Thanks. I can see the curtain in front of the sensor and it is working fine in live veiw. I dont know if the mirror is part of my shutter or the curtain is the shutter alone. Mabey Ziggy can clear this up.
    Thanks againn for your help.:D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 19, 2012
    Thanks. I can see the curtain in front of the sensor and it is working fine in live veiw. I dont know if the mirror is part of my shutter or the curtain is the shutter alone. Mabey Ziggy can clear this up.
    Thanks againn for your help.:D

It does sound like you need to send the body in to Canon. They should give you an estimate for repairs before they start the repairs, so you can decide if repairs are worth it or not. Shipping costs are your only sure expense.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It does sound like you need to send the body in to Canon. They should give you an estimate for repairs before they start the repairs, so you can decide if repairs are worth it or not. Shipping costs are your only sure expense.
    Thankyou Ziggy.
    Lets say i want to keep this camera as it is. Apert from having live veiw on constant for taking photographs does it limit me using the camera regarding all of the options i would have if the mirror was working?
    I will probably get it fixed depending on price but i think i read somewhere that having the mirror in the lock up position dosent afford you some of the options you would have than if it were working correctly.