Options

Light meter: Sekonic FlashMate L-308S

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Accessories
I recently (yesterday:-) acquired a light meter, Sekonic FlashMate L-308S. It's an entry level model, but I thought it'd work for what I paid for (bought new at B&H online for $189).

Today I tested it on my new two light setup (I also finally got my second 555EX + PW receiver - they came in the same shipping as the FlashMate). It turned out to be very accurate. Playing with possible settings was a breeze compared to taking numerous test shots and chimping for the histogram and info. All I had to do is to carry a PW transmitter with me and move around the target area with the FM facing towards the camera and hitting "Test" button on the PW. I only wish I could remotely change 555s' power outputs, which is still a bit of a hassle.
Once I decided on the setting via the FlashMate the very first shot was "right on the money".
With a little practice I think I'll be able get down the whole procedure from 10-20 min (that was w/o FM) to just 1-2.

I also must add the the two lights made the lighting much more uniform and even compared to a single one (duh).

FM can measure ambient light, cordless flash and corded flash. There are incident and reflected light modes (you move the diffuser dome for this). Ambient light can be measured in absolute values (EVs) or in (way more convenient, for me at least) shutter/aperture pair values.
ISO settings have a very wide range and much finer "grain" than my 20D. There is also special mode (achieved via extra -included- accessory screen), which facilitates the accurate measurement of the area lighting evenness.

In almost any mode, once the light is read you can continue to tweak the settings (e.g. change ISO or shutter speed) and see what the result would be - without a need to redo the reading. This is a great feature if you have a very short time of accessing the target area (e.g. stage) and essentially have only a single test shot at it.

As I mentioned, it's an entry level model and it lacks many features (and most likely certain accuracy) found in its more advanced brothers and sisters. However, for my personal needs and my current level it does what I need it it to do and does not bother me with the extra features I'm not ready to use anyway.

All in all, I think this was $189 very well spent.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Sekonic, Canon or any other manufacturer. I'm simply describing my experience with what I think is a very convenient, even though a relatively expensive, gadget.

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 4, 2005
    Nice write up!

Now, I'll toss in a bit of a hint. The PW's can be triggered with some Sekonic
    meters. The 358 and the 558 Cine are two that come to mind.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Ian,
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice write up!

Now, I'll toss in a bit of a hint. The PW's can be triggered with some Sekonic
    meters. The 358 and the 558 Cine are two that come to mind.

Ian
    Thanks for the feedback!

I trust you they can:-) However, this would be most likely the case when you need to trigger the camera, too. I, however, find it very simply take the PW transmitter off my 20D (or, even, do not put it on yet since I'm setting things up) and use FM as a meter and PW as a trigger. Sure, having just one device instead of two would be handy, but I eventually need the PW to be on the camera anyway for the shooting process itself. And unless I can install the ligthmeter on the hotshoe and use it as a transmitter, the need for two devices is still present.

I guess I'm just continuing along the line that I currently am in a rather unsophisticated state of the whole lighting/studio path, which, together with the very limited budget asks for a simpler choice. Advanced models of light meters (as well as advanced models of PW-like devices) are surely nice, but the $400-$500-$600 price tag is currently plain out of my reachne_nau.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"