Options

Iceland Gull in Langstone Harbour

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in Wildlife
This Gull is very rarely seen on the south coast of the UK. It's breeding grounds are in Greenland and it's range covers the North Atlantic centred upon Iceland. Like most gulls it is very much an opportunist, following fishing vessels and hoping for an easy, free meal. This habit brings some gulls over towards Europe and they can be seen in Ireland, Scotland, the east and west coasts of England and Wales and also mainland Europe bordering on the North Sea coastline.
There were a couple of sightings of these birds in Hampshire to the delight of birders.
The Iceland Gull is very similar in size and build to the Herring Gull. The adult birds are all white whilst the juveniles have a tan colouring to their plumage, as is the case in the bird I saw. They gradually moult to all white plumage in about 2 years.

P3149720-L.jpg

P3149784-L.jpg

P3149808-L.jpg

P3149821-L.jpg

P3149852-L.jpg

P3149867-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Excellent set Peter, well exposed. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Excellent set Peter, well exposed. thumb.gif

Thank you Harry. I guess that these are quite common on your side of the pond.
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Good looking set..I would take out #4 and 6 if I were you...they are nice photos but don't really have anything super interesting about them. The others are all great though. I think I would have to pick #1 as my favorite because of the colors and textures. Well done
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    Good looking set..I would take out #4 and 6 if I were you...they are nice photos but don't really have anything super interesting about them. The others are all great though. I think I would have to pick #1 as my favorite because of the colors and textures. Well done

Thank you for your reply, comments and suggestions - greatly appreciated. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Nice captures of this beautiful creature.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.