Options

Moving to the 5DmkII - help me with lens choice

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I plan on using my 5D3 until it disintegrates in my hands, and no you cannot have my 24-70L!

I am usually of the mind that says if you know you will eventually buy the thing you really want, then money spent on a compromise now is money wasted. However if you were to go for the 5D3 now, I imagine you would have to get the kit with 24-105L for $4300, or the body only with a used 24-70L for about the same. Selling your 17-55 and 10-20 will get you what, $1200? So $3100 left, that's still a big pill to swallow. A 5D2 + 24-X now will be about a grand less, and will get you some nice upgrades in IQ and VF. Meanwhile you can save up for a year to make the next leap to the 5D3 body only. Could be less painful to spread it out that way, but if you can't wait a year for the AF and in-camera HDR, then hey, you only live once, and your kids are only young once!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    You're right Matt. I only used the 5d/24-70 combo for an hour and really appreciated the weight. It actually might be really fun to shoot primes again. I do think starting with just the 17-40 and my current 70-200 makes the most sense. I may borrow the 35/2 from the same friend and see how I like it compared to the 50/1.8 I have. I'll just need to rent/borrow the 85 for the final decision on which 2 primes work best for my style.

Surprised you didn't comment on my justification-math mwink.gif I realize that's all it is but the numbers do get pretty interesting when you put them into perspective of cost per kept shot.

Oh, the studio I shoot with does about a half-million images per year, so yeah, our math is pretty interesting. (100-120 weddings, ~100 engagements, ~3-5K images per wedding & ~700-1000 images per engagement.)

Sure glad we're not shooting film still! Eesh...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I plan on using my 5D3 until it disintegrates in my hands, and no you cannot have my 24-70L!

I am usually of the mind that says if you know you will eventually buy the thing you really want, then money spent on a compromise now is money wasted. However if you were to go for the 5D3 now, I imagine you would have to get the kit with 24-105L for $4300, or the body only with a used 24-70L for about the same. Selling your 17-55 and 10-20 will get you what, $1200? So $3100 left, that's still a big pill to swallow. A 5D2 + 24-X now will be about a grand less, and will get you some nice upgrades in IQ and VF. Meanwhile you can save up for a year to make the next leap to the 5D3 body only. Could be less painful to spread it out that way, but if you can't wait a year for the AF and in-camera HDR, then hey, you only live once, and your kids are only young once!

divamum wrote: »
    Seriously, the more I think about it, the more I'm considering the "stepping stone" approach I outlined earlier. Given that the only thing that's stopped me jumping on a 5dII in the last year is my love for the 7d's AF (and concern over the 5dII's) it seems odd to think I'll now shrug and say, "whatever", but a 5dII SOON followed by a 5dIII sometime in the next 15mos might not be such a bad idea. Of course, if the headshot shoots continue to roll in as they have so far this year (word of mouth seems to be getting around - thanks to Heatherfeather and others who showed me just how much can be generated simply by posting teasers to Facebook and letting friends and friends-of-friends spread the word!) then I may be able to justify jumping to the III right away... mwink.gif

If you shoot weddings at all, each stepping stone eventually just becomes a backup. That's why you can pretty much buy ANYTHING that is the cheaper version of the thing you REALLY want, and just use that cheaper version until you can afford the better version. The day you buy that better version, the previous version does NOT become a waste of money, it becomes your backup.

I never understand why some people sell their 50 1.4 or 85 1.8 to help finance a 1.2, as wedding photographers. All I keep thinking to myself is, "wow, that focal length is SO important to you that you're willing to pay TRIPPLE the price, ...and yet you don't need a backup? What if that beloved lens, your bread-and-butter, bring-home-the-bacon lens / camera body hits the pavement? Do you just completely switch your shooting style for the rest of the wedding? That's a terrible professional business philosophy.

So get whatever you can afford now, and call it a backup when you upgrade later. Try that new Tamron 24-70 2.8 (WITH STABILIZATION!!!!) or heck, just get the Sigma 24-70 2.8, it's way cheap, has HSM autofocus, and is quite sharp. When you're damn sure that 24-70 is going to be your bread and butter, (or if you already knew but couldn't afford it at the same time as a body upgrade) ...THEN you can go and invest in the heavy-duty workhorse name-brand 24-70. Or whatever lens / body you're considering- get a50 1.4 until you know the 1.2 is for you. Or get the 5D mk2 and just relegate it to backup duty when you can afford the mk3. It's not a waste, it's a stepping stone and a backup.

(Again, this is really only directed at wedding shooters and other working pros who NEED a backup, especially a backup to whatever piece of equipment truly defines their style.)

=Matt=
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Interesting thread... I just posted all my Canon gear for sale - which I may be talking myself out of selling everything but my body... haha
    I chose my lenses over other lenses for many of the same reasons listed above. I absolutely love my 17-40... it really is my goto lens... but wait... my 70-200 2.8 L is so stinking sharp... I really love them both and what more... neither are IS... I really don't care about IS since almost everything I shoot is on a tripod or at the very least a monopod.

Matt if you read this... 1st let me say you have some wonderful TL... 2nd we are linked at the hip on the lenses... I couldn't have said it better.

I wouldn't want to work without my 17-40mm... when I shoot pano's I instinctively set my lens to 36mm time & time again without looking... Do I miss the space between 40 & 70?... not at all... but I would miss the 17 if I had the 24-70 ...plus it is a lot of coin...
    Personally I wish I had a tack-sharp 10mm-400mm 2.8 lens... just so I didn't have to swap lenses.... hmmm... it's just a dream haha
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    If you shoot weddings at all, each stepping stone eventually just becomes a backup.

I think there has to be some cutoff number of weddings and events per year, below which it makes more sense to rent a 2nd body for those few occasions rather than own a 2nd body that will just be depreciating, collecting dust, and tying up cash most of the time. I am definitely under that limit.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    I think there has to be some cutoff number of weddings and events per year, below which it makes more sense to rent a 2nd body for those few occasions rather than own a 2nd body that will just be depreciating, collecting dust, and tying up cash most of the time. I am definitely under that limit.

Renting a lens, yes. Renting a body, not so much. Bodies are usually $150+ to rent, for the pro ones, and that's not chump change even if you could sell the one you owned for a couple thousand.

Of course if you're under a certain threshold, you're probably better off just calling a 7D / 60D a backup, etc.

=Matt=
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Looks like Uncle Sam will be buying me a brand new 5D mk III and maybe even a 24-70/2.8 clap.gif

The backstory:
    I was a medical resident back in 2002-2005. There was a lot of confusion back then about whether residents could be considered employees or not. It was assumed that we were and thus Medicare and Social Security (ie FICA) taxes withheld. Subsequently, courts ruled that we were not employees (if we were we probably could have gotten lots more money for overtime pay having worked 80 hours per week and 36 hour shifts mwink.gif).

Back in 2010, my hospital contacted me and I registered to get my FICA taxes refunded. I saw an update stating the taxes should be paid in the Fall of this year. Just pulled my W2's from those three years and it looks like I'm due to receive $8500 wings.gif

Thanks everyone for the advice above. I'll pull the trigger on the camera as soon as I read a few reviews. Will buy the lens(es) after playing with the current 70-200 and soon-to-be-purchased 17-40.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    That's some awesome news!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Well that beats the $78 check I just got from the state for an unclaimed property claim! I see a 5D3 in your future!!!
    -Jack

• Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Thanks
    Jack - at least you aren't trying to talk me into a 16-35 II and 24-70 II to properly spend all of this new-found 'fun' money
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,879 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    ... it looks like I'm due to receive $8500 wings.gif ...

Pretty fan-dang-tastic. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    How 'bout this'n?

(24mm 1.4L)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    whoah - my local shop just called... I need to go pick up my 5D3!
    -Jack

• Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Moving to the Dark SIde
    One of the big questions is how deep into the dark side would you like to go?

The 5d2 has noteworthy high ISO performance, but the 5d3 appears to take that to a whole new level. You've already said that a 5d3 is in your future, you'll love delving deep into high ISO - and getting better focus while you are there. For others on the 5d2/5d3 fence; the first impressions on the web seem to talk about high ISO and focus as the big deal.

The Dark Side applies to lenses as well:

Sidenote: RENT BEFORE YOU BUY! Spend a weekend with a lens before buying it.

Yes the 24-70 f2.8L is heavy. One of the big comparison points to the 24-105 f4L is the extra stop. I shoot available light (on a 5d2) with the 24-70 f2.8L and a good deal of the time I'm below f4 and far too often I'm shooting wide open at f2.8. That extra f stop is the real decision point between the two in my book. Other reviewers say that the 24-70 is sharper as well. I have not seen any formal reviews of the 24-70 f2.8L Mark II, but the claim is that it has better optical performance as well as lighter weight. Yes, it's a big(ish) lens and a heavy lens, but for us it's our walk around lens.

Heed that call to primes - for your portrait work. My personal favorite is the 135mm f2L, but there is a lot of good glass in the 85-135mm range. People will ask you what you used when you show them shots from the 135. I like the perspective at 135 better than shorter lengths and I can shoot in low light with no flash on the 5d2 for candids. Not everyone likes the focal length, but those of us who do tend to say things like "pry it out of my cold dead fingers." This one is a rent and see if you like it.

If you don't shoot in the dark, don't pay for f stops you don't need.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    Thanks Nak. One of the driving factors is that I noticed my shots this winter plummeted. I just don't shoot with the 50d indoors which means missing out on shots of the kids as they grow up.

As for lenses, I am starting with the 17-40 and 70-200 and will flush out my needs from there. I'll very likely borrow the 24-70 again and use it for more than an hour. Liked the 50 on crop so assumed I would go for the 85/1.8 but am now thinking of the 100 focal length more.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    What I don't understand is why so much fuss is made about f/2.8 vs f/4 for the standard zoom while at the same time it's considered perfectly fine to have f/4 for wide- and tele-zoom? With my 5D2, many shots, may be even 50% are at f/8 to f/22 so f/2.8 would be throwing away $$$ for those shots. For tele-zooms, I want optimal use of the tele-converters which means I really should have f/2.8 glass.

When I have f/2.8 on my 5d2 (100L or 70-200L) I appreciate the extra stop when the subject is moving though, which points to a big difference between the different disciplines of photography.

Now I read about a 5d2 center AF point that gets more accurate with a f/2.8 lens?! I didn't know anything about that... does that work even when you shoot the lens stopped down? I'll need to study DoF differences of full vs crop sensor because I didn't notice that yet even though I switch with a 7D very often. The thing is that I use the 7D for very different shooting so there is never any direct comparison.

So much to learn ne_nau.gif

:D
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    The lens focuses before it stops down, so it benefits from the extra light no matter what the aperture is.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    The lens focuses before it stops down, so it benefits from the extra light no matter what the aperture is.

I didn't know that! I learns something everday!
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    I didn't know that! I learns something everday!

You observe it each time you shoot. The camera focuses with the lens wide open. If it didn't you'd see the viewfinder get dark as it does when you hit the aperture preview button on the side.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    You observe it each time you shoot. The camera focuses with the lens wide open. If it didn't you'd see the viewfinder get dark as it does when you hit the aperture preview button on the side.

Duh!! Of course! I use the aperture preview button all the time but never thought of this! How many shots to I have to take before I understand the most basic aspects of a camera?
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Duh!! Of course! I use the aperture preview button all the time but never thought of this! How many shots to I have to take before I understand the most basic aspects of a camera?

Hey, don't feel bad. I used to think that button was some sort of shutter speed / exposure preview. (No, I'm not pulling your leg. It was on a film camera right about the time digital came out, so I kept hitting that button to "see how bright my images would turn out"... YEAH.)
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    So now that it's come time to actually order the 5diii, I'm returning to this thread with second thoughts. I'm seriously considering getting the camera as a kit with the 24-105. Seems like a no brainier as it sells for 800-850 as a used model which is its price in the kit. I can essentially try it for free then. Also the kit tends to come in stock (and stay there) longer. I'm also thinking that with a FF camera, the f/4 aperture in the setting of better high iso may even be preferable for most of my shots. I still plan on an 85/100/135 prime as a dedicated portrait lens.
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I've had a body only backorder at B&H for over a week. I haven't seen any online places with either the body or kit in stock in the last week or so. It did seem that the kits went out of stock after the bodies, but not by very much.

So if you've made up your mind to pull that trigger you ought to kick off your order so you can get in line with the rest of us rolleyes1.gif
    I'mAlso the kit tends to come in stock (and stay there) longer.?
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    Good point Dan. I called around to a few places today including Andy's favorite Tallyn's. They said they only get notified of shipments 24 hours ahead of time but expect another batch to come in next week. I think they had 8 on the list with 14 bodies expected to come in.

Also, there is a new Canon lens promo coming so if you are in the market for one, they will have double discounts with purchase of the 5D mk III
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    I asked B&H about availability but they said essentially the same thing, until Canon tells them a shipment is on it's way they just don't know. I didn't think to ask how may were in line ahead of me though.

Thanks for the head up on the discount. I'm in reasonable shape on lenses, not that I would want to add another.
    Good point Dan. I called around to a few places today including Andy's favorite Tallyn's. They said they only get notified of shipments 24 hours ahead of time but expect another batch to come in next week. I think they had 8 on the list with 14 bodies expected to come in.

Also, there is a new Canon lens promo coming so if you are in the market for one, they will have double discounts with purchase of the 5D mk III
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    So now that it's come time to actually order the 5diii, I'm returning to this thread with second thoughts. I'm seriously considering getting the camera as a kit with the 24-105. Seems like a no brainier as it sells for 800-850 as a used model which is its price in the kit. I can essentially try it for free then. Also the kit tends to come in stock (and stay there) longer. I'm also thinking that with a FF camera, the f/4 aperture in the setting of better high iso may even be preferable for most of my shots. I still plan on an 85/100/135 prime as a dedicated portrait lens.
    Thoughts?

My local shop sold me a 5D3 kit, removed the lens, and charged me for the body only. There has GOT to be a store in a 10 mile radius of MHD that will do this if you want. Or in Boston. Forget B&H. My local shop told me Canon is trying to help out the local guys with priority shipment of the 5D3. Jeez I got mine a month ago.

But as for the 24-105, sure, why not. Even a used 24-70 isn't looking too attractive on ebay right now. I got mine for like $950 4 years ago. If you can afford the kit, the 24-105 would be a nice walk-around if you can compliment it with fast primes for when you need the light. I'm actually thinking of selling my 24-70 to buy an 85/1.8 and pocket the difference. I use it so infrequently now after getting the 35L. Sheesh, looks like I could even make money off the 24-70!
    -Jack

• Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    I've done some local store checking... I'm in the same general area as eoren1, but I can't find anyone who has them in stock and they don't know when when Canon will fill their existing orders. I also know that as little as 2 weeks ago some did have 5d3's in stock.

I'm sure Canon allocates units for small dealers, but that might be 1 or 2 for a small dealer, but maybe 10 for a B&H and maybe a lot more for a national chain like BestBuy. But B&H probably has a bigger waiting list than a small dealer. I just don't see how Canon can ignore big dealers or national chains that move all their products day in and day out. But it is still a crap shoot as to who would fulfill your order first.

For me I don't buy a lot of stuff in general and I don't have a relationship with local dealer, so I'm pretty sure I'd be low priority on any local dealer's waiting list.

On another forum someone said they walked into a Best Buy in Manhattan earlier this week and bought one off the shelf, so I guess it's possible.

There has GOT to be a store in a 10 mile radius of MHD that will do this if you want.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Hunts photo had them before the recall but only kit and I wasn't ready to buy that then. They also refused to split it without me incurring some added cost. I'm thinking next week will see a flood of product come in.