Options

Arenacross

kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited March 21, 2012 in Sports
This is some local WHR Arenacross action from March 16/17 in Redmond, OR.
I did the best I could with the small arena, bad lighting, and an f4 lens. :D
(all are f4, 1/320s, ISO6400)

1)
IMG2477-Edit-L.jpg

2)
IMG2307-Edit-L.jpg

3)
IMG2625-Edit-L.jpg

4)
IMG2844-Edit-L.jpg

5)
IMG2704-Edit-L.jpg

6)
IMG2729-Edit-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Well I'd say you did a pretty darn good job.
    Absolutely love #2!!! Brilliant action shot.
    #3 might be a little tight for me but I love the POV. Love the sharpness in the main bike (plus some blur in the wheels) and the motion blur in the rear bike.
    #4 is again a bit tight for me (opinion ... not a fact) but the colours pop nicely and again you get a sense of motion/speed
    #5 and #6 look a little soft to me ... but I apologise if they are sharp - can't always trust my eyes these days.
    I think this is a really nice set with a wonderful sense of speed and action. Hope you had plenty of fun.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Well I'd say you did a pretty darn good job.
    Absolutely love #2!!! Brilliant action shot.
    #3 might be a little tight for me but I love the POV. Love the sharpness in the main bike (plus some blur in the wheels) and the motion blur in the rear bike.
    #4 is again a bit tight for me (opinion ... not a fact) but the colours pop nicely and again you get a sense of motion/speed
    #5 and #6 look a little soft to me ... but I apologise if they are sharp - can't always trust my eyes these days.
    I think this is a really nice set with a wonderful sense of speed and action. Hope you had plenty of fun.

Ace, thanks for the detailed feedback!

#2 is my personal favorite also. The one time when the background was working for the photo rolleyes1.gif

#3/4: I was often framing pretty tight either in the camera or in crops due to the distracting backgrounds in the small arena. I could widen the crops, especially on #4, but I chose this crop to accentuate the dramatic body and bike position and also to minimize the background distractions. I definitely agree with you that tight framing isn't always the best and usually like to have a mix.

You're right - #5 is probably a bit softer than the others due to the speed they are traveling towards the camera. I felt I should include at least one air shot, bleachers and all. If I'd had more shutter speed to work with, this would have been the place to bump it faster and blue the bg more.

#6 is probably a case of it being sharp or soft depending on which details you're looking at. He's carrying a lot of speed and working the bike through a rough berm and things like the front forks/fender and parts of his body (hands) are soft due to motion while other bits (rear of bike, head, upper body) are sharp.

Thanks again. I appreciate the opinions!!
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Thanks for the extra info ... one of the great things about photography is that different people can take away different things from the same image.
    Your reply has opened my eyes to other possibilities and aspects I had not noticed ... so I thank you for that.
    (still think #2 is an absolute cracker!!!)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Nice series Kurt

#2 is my favorite

Seems to me the convention of slow shutter speed to get wheel blur (on hard tracks); when used on dirt racing is less than ideal... too much suspension action going on

good work
    Rags
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    These are great!! #2 is my favorite!!
  • Options
    The anxious oneThe anxious one Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I loved all the photos. Which f4 lens did you use. I need to improve my shots. I have done several Motocross shots on my website. #2 really stands out.
    James Lamb

J. Lamb Photo

www.jlambphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Thanks all!
    They were all shot with a Canon 70-200f4 IS on a 7D.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I think you did really well with these. All are a little soft but they have great color and great action. #2 is killer with the crowd. These are also nice and tight. If you look at photos in a motocross mag they are often tight to the point of chopping off helmets and wheels or more.

Great job!