Options

C &C On my First Head Shots!

MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited March 24, 2012 in People
I was recently hired by one of my clients to do some head shot work. I had never ever done any kind of head shot work and I thought I would put two of my favorites on here to see what I could do better. Thanks:D

1)
6848889360_6885ac849a.jpg
DSC_0124 by gambrel photography, on Flickr

2)
6848887312_42a522aba9.jpg
DSC_0062 by gambrel photography, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Intended use?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    She is trying out for the Sound of Music. She ended up picking out some natural light shots to turn in. These two are just my favorite from the session.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    So an actress/music theatre performer?

If you haven't seen it, have a look at this post about headshots and, more particularly, the links in that thread to some other terrific articles/sites - that will give you some ideas thumb.gif

Of the two you've posted, I prefer the second as a headshot - the un-lit eye in #1 minimizes how she engages with the viewer. You can also see just how pretty she is in #2!
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    I did read through those quickly. I only had a day or so to try and learn what I was supposed to do. The video's of Peter Hurley really really help alot. The way that guy works with people is awesome!!
  • Options
    JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    For number 1, you probably want a bit more on the shadow side of the face. From what I've seen, casting directors want to see the whole face, and losing the eye to darkness loses one of her great assets. Number two, to my taste, is very slightly blown out in the skin. Both, however, are nicely composed. Of the two, number 2 is my favorite. For her online version of the image (if she is going to be posting to an online service) you will want to crop it in slightly to make sure her face really commands the scene.
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Pretty girl. +1 on the second shot with a crop.

Although she looks very pretty in 1.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I agree that #2 is a little more engaging. I might clean up some of the stray hairs near the ponytail. Really great shot!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Thanks Ladies and Gents!! If I was to try and get some more head shot business, where would I go to advertise? Who would I try and talk to? Would trying to find a good make up artist be worth it? Any info is helpful!
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I'm a fan of catchlights - use that as your judge, maybe, for if you're pushing enough light where it needs to go. The darkness of the left eye in #1 has been duly noted, but there's minimal catch in the left eye in #2. Compositon looks good to me, (hardly an expert, I shoot stuff that moves, primarily) but the lighting needs a touch of change... IMHO.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Madmod wrote: »
    Thanks Ladies and Gents!! If I was to try and get some more head shot business, where would I go to advertise? Who would I try and talk to? Would trying to find a good make up artist be worth it? Any info is helpful!

Before you start advertising your goods, get familiar with type-ing and what casting directors are currently looking for. You obviously know how to take a decent picture, but for headshots, that just isn't enough - the headshot is what gets the actor into the audition (after that, it's up to them lol), but if the shot isn't interesting/engaging/expressive enough to catch the CD's attention amid hundreds (sometimes thousands) of other shots to GET the audition..... then it isn't doing it's job. The shots above are attactive, but I don't get ANY of her personality from these - she's very pretty, but I have no idea what roles she considers herself suitable for, or what she might bring through the door at an audition other than a slim, pretty face.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm a "poacher turned gamekeeper" (!) and this is exactly the reason I got into headshots with my own photography. As a performer myself, I got frustrated with good photographers offering headshot services when they didn't really understand the needs of actors/musicians, and that the shots need to be a lot *more* than a flattering portrait. What makes that performer unique and how do you translate that into an image while still projecting their roles/types and "they'd be great to work with!"? That's what the headshot needs to do - it's a LOT of information crammed into one photograph! Also, a good headshot photographer IMO actually needs to be *more* knowledgeable about types and trends than the actor/musicians, particularly in the case of young'un's just starting out who don't really know what to ask for yet and are looking for advice as much as a photograph.

If you're serious about headshots, dig into the galleries of those out there already doing it and learn what actors expect from you and their images - the market will become clear as you get more involved in this part of the arts world thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    Would it maybe be a good idea to go and talk to some casting directors and see what they are looking for in a head shot or do they not like to be bothered by the photogs?
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    You could if you have access to any - I suspect approaching professional CD's cold, however, probably won't get you very far (YMMV). Be a little careful with replies from those in academia and/or any others who have been out of the professional loop for a while - trends and requirements change quickly, and what was true 10 years ago is usually not the case any more.

I personally would start by reading the Bonnie Gillespie articles (the examples are a little dated - the articles are from 2006 - but the principles she talks about are still 100% relevant) and browsing the Reproductions directories (as linked in the sticky thread) - there are sooooo many working photographers on both coasts linking galleries there that you can get a pretty good idea what's "selling", and what the current trends are by looking through those.

The other stuff - types, roles, commercial vs theatrical, "fachs" for classical singers etc - you probably just need to research for yourself, particularly if you've never been active in the theatre/movie/music world; the info is out there, you just need to become familiar with those things to better understand what the performer seeking a headshot needs to project through their images. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Yeah, Bonnie's articles are good for basics on headshots. And look at tons of samples at respected photographers' sites (there are are lots of bad headshot photographers out there, so don't learn from them). Then practice, practice, practice!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Awesome! Thanks again for all of your help. Now lets say that I was an artist approaching you for a some photos for theatrical use. Lets say Sound of Music.(just because this is what I was approached with) What would you want convey in my images? How would you shoot them and why? I know this could be a 70 page thread and I don't know if I will ever do another session again for head shots but, I am not going to lie and say that I didn't enjoy doing the session and I soon hope to do another one.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Diva probably already covered this but...
    When casting people look at headshots they are usually looking for a "type".
    Find out what "type" your client wants to be perceived as and work to capture that in the headshot.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I have looked through some websites at some head shots and honestly I couldn't tell you what part each person was going for. Weather they be an artist or a theatre part. I guess what I am asking besides personality should the shot or be one way for the theatre and another for way for an up coming movie role? On the little reading I have done natural light seems what is hot at the moment. Should I not even worry about lighting minus fill flash?
    I know I am asking alot of questions but I want to make sure I get this right for my clients.

Thank You!!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Madmod, you are asking for a LOT of research to be summed up in one easy answer. The answer is (as Zoomer says above) "learn more about "type", and how casting directors look for people to fill roles"
    I guess what I am asking besides personality should the shot or be one way for the theatre and another for way for an up coming movie role?
    Generally (although not always) yes. Consider this: would you shoot a golfer, a wrestler, and a baseball player using exactly the same kind of look/feel for the finished image? Possible, but probably not.

Google:

actor type
    commercial vs theatrical (very important concept difference, related to your question above)
    TPY
    what makes a good headshot

That should start pulling up a lot of articles and links (although the ones in the sticky thread are a great place to start, too).

"Type" is more important than specific roles although knowing the roles in a show can really help, and headshot photographers do, IMO, need to know the repertoire enough to determine how to shoot a potential subject (which includes deciding how to light them, too - a commercial shot wants a different feel than a theatrical one, which can at least in part be helped along by lighting choices). Example: Using your Sound of Music example, you're not going to want the same "type" for the actress who will get cast as the Baroness (mature, sophisticated, fairly glamourous 30-40something - mature leading lady type) as you would somebody going for Liesl (naive, slightly rebellious 15 year old - just as likely to be cast by an actress playing younger than she is as an actual teenager), as you would Maria (romantic heroine, but very strong and quirky character; looks less important than for many romantic leads).

Those are likely to be three different actresses marketing themselves as different "types". Shots can only *suggest* the actual characters, but most performer's tend to find a niche into which they fall - their "type" - especially since typecasting is quite commonplace in the US.

Moving into opera (a whole 'nuther market): in my own recent shoots, I was faced with two interesting paradoxes.

1. In Nicole's session, she was GREAT at turning on the sexy, voluptuous Carmen vibe. Problem? She's not a mezzo, and her vocal repertoire is actually the put-upon, tragic, soprano heroines. This is one of the reasons we opted for a very casual set as part of the shoot, and also for lots of natural light, and smiling shots, to try and tone down her naturally intense looks and vibe.

2. Similarly Lisa: she plays a lot of "soubrette" roles, which are generally perky maids and charmingly devious schemers. Problem? She freezes in front of the camera meaning all that perkiness vanishes in the images. Since I was struggling a bit to get her to "play" during the session, I decided it was best to play up her sexy-girl-next-door looks and fabulous figure (the artsy ones are just that, and aren't intended to suggest her "fach", but just pix for her to dress up her website); she has a great set of all-purpose photos, and if she picks one serious one and one smiling one, she can cover all her bases as far as her various roles.

Sorry this isn't really the straightforward answer you'd like, but there's more to it than do it this way/that way/this light it this way/light it that way. You can't serve your headshot clients well and establish your market, without knowing more about THEIR market. I know this sounds fussy and like a non-answer, but IMO it's kind of essential background knowledge if you're serious about headshot work.

Enjoy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Quite honestly, you answered what I was looking for. Learn their roles and try and show that through their head shots. Not so much their "own" personality but the personality of the role they are going for. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I am catching on here alittle bit.

I am not for sure if I will ever do one of those sessions again but I feel like if I do I have a better understanding of what needs to happen to make a "good" head shot. I thank you all for your time and I will continue reading and learning for a bit.clap.gif