Options

Banding question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited March 23, 2012 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
Is mid to high iso banding an issue that is camera (hardware) related, or the result of operator error due to under exposure ? I was testing my 5D2 earlier tonight with the canon 35 2.0, and a few shots of the dark sky appeared to have banding at iso 3200 and iso 6400. Other then that, the images were unbelievably clean, sharp and detailed. Thanks in advance :thumb
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Do you have a photo with the banding present?
    Usually banding comes from excessive post processing.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    Do you have a photo with the banding present?
    Usually banding comes from excessive post processing.
    Good Morning,
    Thanks for getting back to me thumb.gif I have to see if I still have the pictures. I was just playing around with the camera, and noticed the band in the sky, in certain parts of the picture. I didn't pp much, just basically converted from RAW, and played around with the White Balance and Picture Styles.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Were you shooting raw or jpg? What software were you using to view the images? Shoot some more and post what you're concerned with.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Were you shooting raw or jpg? What software were you using to view the images? Shoot some more and post what you're concerned with.
    Good Evening John,
    I was shooting sRAW1 only, converting to jpeg in DPP, playing with the WB and Picture Styles. That's it. I'll post some night time, outdoor shots in the next day or 2. Inside shots are not a problem.
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    Banding question
    Good Evening Folks,
    Here is a shot taken earlier tonight at iso 4000. The areas in question are on both sides of the pole and in the upper corners. This pic was converted from RAW with no pp, and downsized. The RAW shot looks just as bad. So, would this fall under a banding issue or possibly an amp issue ?ne_nau.gif Thanks in advance thumb.gif
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Jim, I don't really see banding. What I do see is underexposure. LR may take care of it, but other than that, crushing the blacks. My Banding when it rears it's head, is much more apparent.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Jim, I don't really see banding. What I do see is underexposure. LR may take care of it, but other than that, crushing the blacks. My Banding when it rears it's head, is much more apparent.
    Good Morning Tom,
    Thanks for your answer thumb.gif If that's the case, then this is normal when a pic is under exposed ? I didn't have that (underexposure) problem with my original 5D, and I took quite a few evening shots with lots of sky visible. I'll have to start shooting to the right of the histogram to get it correct. Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    The 5D mk2 can have RF interference banding sometimes, either from radio flash triggers mounted too close to the camera body, or with some USM lenses in AI-Servo I hear. But that issue was mostly fixed.

Banding is also exacerbated by using intermediate ISO's, 2200 is especially bad on the 5D mk2 sometimes. Also, warmth is never a friend of clean images; colder temperatures will always reduce noise although I don't know if they can influence banding.

Lastly, sRAW1 on the 5D mk2 is also prone to horizontal banding, in under-exposed areas. :-(

Chances are, you're just not getting your shadows bright enough. That sky looks mighty dark and at ISO 3200, any hint of brightening in post-production could bring out banding. In such a situation, there is not much you can do except brighten your exposure as far as acceptably possible, and then worry about preserving highlights instead of saving shadows... Shadows always get completely trashed at higher ISO's, while highlights still maintain some amount of recoverability...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    The 5D mk2 can have RF interference banding sometimes, either from radio flash triggers mounted too close to the camera body, or with some USM lenses in AI-Servo I hear. But that issue was mostly fixed.

Banding is also exacerbated by using intermediate ISO's, 2200 is especially bad on the 5D mk2 sometimes. Also, warmth is never a friend of clean images; colder temperatures will always reduce noise although I don't know if they can influence banding.

Lastly, sRAW1 on the 5D mk2 is also prone to horizontal banding, in under-exposed areas. :-(

Chances are, you're just not getting your shadows bright enough. That sky looks mighty dark and at ISO 3200, any hint of brightening in post-production could bring out banding. In such a situation, there is not much you can do except brighten your exposure as far as acceptably possible, and then worry about preserving highlights instead of saving shadows... Shadows always get completely trashed at higher ISO's, while highlights still maintain some amount of recoverability...

=Matt=
    Morning Matt,
    Thanks for your answer thumb.gif I wasn't expecting any issues with the 5D2. Never had any trouble other then operator error with my 5D. I'll shoot RAW from now on and just expose to the right, like I mentioned earlier. Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Morning Tom,
    Thanks for your answer thumb.gif If that's the case, then this is normal when a pic is under exposed ? I didn't have that (underexposure) problem with my original 5D, and I took quite a few evening shots with lots of sky visible. I'll have to start shooting to the right of the histogram to get it correct. Thanks again.
    Jim...

Hi Jim, Yes. I'd venture two things, underexposed AND high ISO. If you'd have under-exposed it more you'd have seen the banding better. I haven't seen it as much on my stills as I have my Video when pushed to under-exposure and high ISO.

What I have seen is splotches. Like I see in yours. Noiseware wouldn't deal with it, but crushing blacks did.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Banding question
    Morning Folks,
    I appreciate all the help from everyone bowdown.gif I should have also mentioned that I was viewing the images on my laptop at work. When I put the pics on another computer (desktop) I could'nt see anything unusual in the sky. It was more of a dark uniform color. One thing I am impressed with, is the low light capability. Since I always use center point af, I wasn't expecting any problems with focusing. I must say, I wasn't expecting to capture the following image by just using a small 3'' flashlight to illuminate it. Iso 6400 looks really good. I printed out an 8 x 10 earlier for a contractor that I'm working with, and he couldn't believe I was able to get a shot like that. Needless to say, I was very impressed. Anyway, again thank you all for your help thumb.gif
    Jim...