DSS Challenge #99- Norman Rockwell

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited April 2, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #99 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, March 19, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, April 2, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Norman Rockwell:

One of the worlds best illustrators of his time, Norman Rockwell images have been loved throughout the years. Your challenge is to create an image that has the feel of a Norman Rockwell image. It does not need to be a replica of one of his images, rather create a photograph that tells a story of everyday life in your world. There are NO editing restrictions this round, so you can make it look like an illustration through filters or not. Totally up for your interpretation! Just as long as it gives a sense of Norman Rockwell to the viewer and be sure your EXIF stays in tact.
Here are some of his works: http://binged.it/zAQwaU

NO EDITING RESTRICTIONS.

Your Judge:

1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #99 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.:deal

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    What an excellent challenge! Story telling is something I really need to work on.
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I think I am finally going to try my hand at a challenge. I really like this one.
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Very cool challenge! clap.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Oh, now this is going to be fun!
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    LOVE this one. I'm sure it will be hard to do Norman justice. I can't wait to see the entries!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    What a fun challenge...I cannot wait to see what everyone comes up with!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    kids and babies and more kids -

And I deleted the rest of this post because I'm a dunce and can't check my facts... Thanks Pedal Girl. (Doh!)
    American Gothic was not Rockwell... it was Grant Wood.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    Hmm... I'm not all together with it tonight, apparently... but maybe Grant Wood would be an interesting photo challenge someday.
    As much as I love this theme, and had an idea within minutes... I have not and will not have time to put it together. I've always created original ideas, but this time I wanted to update this photo by painting on a 46" flat screen and photoshop, as if the screen was a touch screen (like the new Wacom Cintiq 24HD). Something I still plan on creating in the near future.

There are several great entries this round! Good luck to all thumb.gif

Troy
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    My first entry
    I just entered this challenge. I could not get what I really wanted down but was visiting my in-laws when I happened upon the image I placed in the challenge. I hope you all like it. I tried several times to place the image here but could not get it. So if you go to the gallery mine is the one with the cat.

Darryl
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    Darryl, looks like you got it in there correctly, but you should put a space before and after the dash (-) :Dthumb.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 2, 2012
    This challenge is closed. Poll will be up shortly.