Options

Wife letting me test my new portable lights.

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited March 22, 2012 in People
I'm a happy man, my new portable lighting set up arrived this morning. These are from Lencarta (for those not in the UK and who don't know them check out http://www.lencarta.com/lighting-store/discovery-portable-flash-system/safari-li-on-portable-flash-system )

I only managed to get out for about 15 mins (including setup) at lunch time so nothing earth shattering to post but will still put a couple up.

I was hoping to get to beat the sun but I wasn't limited by the lights, rather the lens I took was my 24-105 which maxes out at f22... oops, I needed f45 really. I also didn't grab my 3 stop ND so was stuck.

Never mind, I still had a quick play with my 'willing' model (wife).

Here are 2 of the shots to show a couple of quick looks I was able to get, I'm really looking forward to having more of a play over the next few days and will probably use them on a shoot with a couple on the weekend.

Both with 90cm Octo right of camera.

1 I know shooting up the nose isn't ideal but wanted to get the clouds in and didn't have the 17-40 or want to show the stand (not sure why now as it was only a test.... oh well.
6857034724_7b08860508_b.jpg
Lencarta Safari Test 1 by Mark Smith Photography UK, on Flickr

2 More of a balance shot using the sun as a rim light.
6857034828_8051cedf44_b.jpg
Lencarta Safari Test 2 by Mark Smith Photography UK, on Flickr

One happy bunny here :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    A very nice start for especially the first time with lights outdoors. I really like the second one except for the bkg but again these were a test. You have her turned in a great feminine pose, Rembrandt lighting (outdoorsn with the sun yet) the sun is a great kicker accenting her breasts, hair and shoulders. Just have her turn a bit more to the viewers right and then open her arms to show off the hour glass figure.

On the first one a good bal to get the sky exposed and exposure from flash on her.

Big Congrats!!
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Along the lines of what Charles pointed out...shooting with small apertures will require retraining your eyes to pay more attention to what's in the background...everything with be visible....
    Nice first try I agree...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    A very nice start for especially the first time with lights outdoors. I really like the second one except for the bkg but again these were a test. You have her turned in a great feminine pose, Rembrandt lighting (outdoorsn with the sun yet) the sun is a great kicker accenting her breasts, hair and shoulders. Just have her turn a bit more to the viewers right and then open her arms to show off the hour glass figure.

On the first one a good bal to get the sky exposed and exposure from flash on her.

Big Congrats!!

Thanks. Background wasn't ideal, especially as I was using a small aperture, I'm planning on using my 3 stop ND for future/propper shots if the background isn't something I want to bring into play.

Really looking forward to using this kit more, over here in the UK, well my area at least, I don't see any of my competition using stobes in the field so I'm hoping it will bring a really different look to my photos that no one else is offering.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Along the lines of what Charles pointed out...shooting with small apertures will require retraining your eyes to pay more attention to what's in the background...everything with be visible....
    Nice first try I agree...

I agree, with the 3 stop I would have been down at just under f4 so actually would have needed to pump ISO just a little for that lens. I'm planning to use my 70-200 quite a bit or the 135mm f2 for great compression in this sort of thing.

I want some models!!! Laughing.gif

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    With curved sunglasses like that, you've got to work hard to keep the reflection of your lights out of the shot. Or go to work with the cloning tool (but as these are just a test, probably not worth the time). I don't think the 1st one is a very flattering angle, but it's a fun shot getting that sky like that. The 2nd pose is much more flattering.