Options

Senior Portfolio

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 22, 2012 in People
I am attempting to put up a senior portfolio gallery on my website. Id like to hear what some of you think. Are there great shots Ive done that are missing? Should some of these be tossed out?

Im already considering tossing out anything that wasn't shot in landscape format. How do you feel about that?

Once I have decided on which shots will stay I plan to snatch the originals and be sure the crops and brightness are optimized for this gallery. Anything else?

Thanks in advance....

The link:
http://www.jkmann.com/Portfolio/Senior-Portraits/22045419_JVgmdH

Comments

• Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I think it looks great! You have a very wide variety of shots, angles, and poses. I wish mine portfolio looked that good! I have always admired you work
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I hear you about the non-landscape shots..they always seem so small..getting rid of them is good idea if you have more shots to add, I suppose. well 1st off..lovely shots..though the saxophone one as a lead off isn't doing it for me. I think it is the weakest shot of the bunch. (if you decide to get rid of portrait orientation shots then this is resolved) I would start with a frame filler of your daughter!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    They looks so much bigger at the large size after hitting full screen.
    The first three shots could be put further back. There are some really nice shots in there.
    I would start with the face shot of your daughter, I also really like the shot of the girl against the fence going frame left to right.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I agree with Zoomer, move the first four. I'm not wild about 2 & 4. Since senior girls are the ones who come in the most I would cater to more of those up front. Put some in of the guys but after they see the girls they'll want to come in. You have a very nice selection of shots. Can you get the large drop down image to be below the row so it is unobstructed?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Gorgeous shots throught but.... that was a give thumb.gif

I wouldn't lose the portrait orientation ones - there are some good shots in those, and NOT every shot is going to be landscape.

Just as something to consider: will say that I have never found the filmstrip setup at Smug to be that conducive to browsing - I originally had my own portfolio like that, but since it sometimes annoyed ME to have to scroll through it without really knowing what I'd be seeing next (on a laptop the thumbs are kind of small), I figured that clients might not take the time either; that's why I wound up sticking with the standard smug thumbs+large in the end. Just my overinflated 2c....
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Hey this is great feedback!

Keep it coming!

Diva, my plan is to take a few of the portrait oriented shots and work them into a landscape oriented composite. The landscape just shows so beautifully online.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Wow...simply wow!
    Fantastic representation....
    The one with the you man on the horse is pretty dang cool!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    well I am wondering if the portfolio is targeting the parents or the kid's first impressions. Boys can be a bit goofy regarding things like the band image but parents eat that up, so perhaps the first image for the boys might be the truck photo, most boys can identify with that. And the very very first image should be your daughter's fill the frame shot.. breath taking for one and all! No doubt about it, then be kind to the girl that has to follow, don't pick the least attractive to follow the most attractive.

Make the first 2 really strong ones, then mix them up and have a strong one in the last 3 or 4 and end up with a good one, but not the best .

I am using my experience as a parent regarding the boys but as a 8 yr. pageant consultant/judge for the impact/impressiom of the placement .. trust me.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700