A Family Snapshot #2

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited March 22, 2012 in Street and Documentary
hyde_tom_epf_014.jpg
Adam, 2009

This is part of a series documenting life in my backyard, both literally, as in this family photo, and in the broader context of the river valley in which I live. This is the same person and taken in the exact same place, minus a few feet in elevation and two years in time, as this previous post.

This photo was something of a revelation for me. It was taken several hundred feet from my home, is of a family member, and was taken with a "point and shoot" digital camera. That broke three good myths for me. Good pictures are everywhere (with the caveat that they rarely involve cats).

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    This is beautiful!
    I love.
    These are above and beyond regular "family snaps". They should almost have a category to themselves. Both shots have been strange to me almost haunting, but both have also been beautiful.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I think people underestimate the potential to make good and meaningful photos within the context of their own personal lives. It's not necessarily easy to look at your own life with fresh eyes but what could be more "personal" than that?

A great article and photos at NY Times Lens Blog about Magnum photographer Christopher Anderson's project "Son."

So Liz, more family snaps, okay?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    I like this 1st post but thought the light or balance was off. I did get that surreal feel from it.

I like this one as well but not right away.

Gear is way overrated, not a one of those tools has ever taken a good Photo!! :D
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    I remember when you first posted this image. I had to jump through hoops to get a look at it as your servers are (or were) for whatever reason blocked in China. Liked it then and still like it now. The water shots reminds me of another series by Will van Overbeek at Barton Springs (Flash) in Texas.

I wish we saw more family and/or intimate shots in this forum, especially those showing an alternative dynamic than a posed set up. A "street" vibe as it were.
    edited March 22, 2012
    Oops, forgot I had posted this before :))

Nice link, thanks. I had not looked at his site before but remember seeing the work somewhere.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 22, 2012
    Well, I must have missed this the first time around, so I'm glad you reposted. Excellent work.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Well, I must have missed this the first time around, so I'm glad you reposted. Excellent work.

I think I've found the old threads but the image links aren't working any more. Still, I love this sort of thing.
    edited March 22, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    I like this 1st post but thought the light or balance was off. I did get that surreal feel ...

Yes, the other photo is desaturated with muted color ala Alec Soth and a lot of "contemporary fine art" photography.
    Took me forever to "get" Soth (or Sternfeld or Shore) but he's one of my favorites now. It's funny how perceptions shift.. The more I look and study other people's work, the more my appreciation for the big tent of photography grows and the more my own pallette changes.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    I am in awe of this shot... clap.gifbow