Options

Tripod / head

JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited May 20, 2012 in The Kitchen Sink
Hey all, I'm in the market for a high quality tripod/ball head setup. I'm looking for an arca-Swiss compatible head and QR plate if possible.

Some of the brands I've been considering are: high-end Manfrottos, Feisol, Kirk, etc. Realistically, I don't think I can afford a full RRS or Gitzo setup.

I'll buy new if I need to, but I wanted to throw it out there if anyone has a setup they're wanting to sell. Let me know via reply or PM. Thanks!
Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Hey all, I'm in the market for a high quality tripod/ball head setup. I'm looking for an arca-Swiss compatible head and QR plate if possible.

Some of the brands I've been considering are: high-end Manfrottos, Feisol, Kirk, etc. Realistically, I don't think I can afford a full RRS or Gitzo setup.
    I was just switching tripod heads from a ball head to another type of head, so have a Benro BJ-1 ball head in excellent condition that I'd sell. It supports up to 12kg (26#)! (image below) It comes with at Arca-Swiss type QR plate, and I *think* I also have a spare second QR plate, also.

Benro has changed model designations; the BJ-1 seems nearly identical to the description of the current Benro B1 ball head, described here and here and here, except that the B1 has a separate drag knob.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    From the reviews and pricing, Benro doesn't seem to be in the same class as Kirk, Feisol etc. and certainly not RRS or Gitzo.

Never heard of them until today. What other high-end brands have you owned to compare the Benro to?

Thanks for the offer and information!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Benro is a brand of professional photographic gear, headquartered in China. It's been around for many years, although only in the last 3 years or so has it become widely available in the U.S. 3 years ago, when I bought mine, much of its gear appeared to be fashioned closely after Gitzo -- I don't know if that's still true or not. No, I wouldn't put Benro in quite the same class as the very high-end brands you mentioned, but my Benro ball head has worked great and I still have an awesome Benro carbon-fiber tripod and carbon-fiber monopod that I can't imagine changing out for anything else.

I honestly find it hard to believe that, say, Manfrotto or Gitzo tripods could be that much better than the Benro that I have, esp given the significant price difference. They may have an extra feature, or perhaps slightly smoother operation, but Benro seems to have a much stronger value proposition, at least for my needs (I've heard similar things about Feisol, also). I'd liken it to the difference between a Lexus and a Mercedes. I wouldn't think twice about buying other Benro gear if I needed it. But everyone uses different criteria when they make purchasing decisions.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Great info. Thanks! I'm looking hard at Feisol, largely because of the reviews and value. My problem is that my options are quite limited since I'm 6'6" and I'd rather not become a hunchback using my camera...
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    check out my auction on Ebay Item 180849801054 For an Acratech head and plate In great condition
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Great info. Thanks! I'm looking hard at Feisol, largely because of the reviews and value. My problem is that my options are quite limited since I'm 6'6" and I'd rather not become a hunchback using my camera...
    I hear you. Although I'm a shorty at 6'1", one of my considerations was that my tripod (and monopod) had to reach high enough so that (with the head) I could look through the viewfinder at eye level, standing straight up.

I got a Benro C298m6 tripod (similar to this one) and an MC96 monopod, choosing both because they were tall enough for me (and not many were). I also love that the tripod has a "pivot" in the center column mount that allows the center column to be positioned not just straight up, but also hanging out at any angle.

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Have you looked at manfrottos MG 468 hydrostatic ballhead? It's what I use ... A quarter turn locks it down solid... The tension is very adjustable. I bought mine a year or so ago ... I was going to sell it... (only because my needs changed) but then couldnt part with it.
    I think it's worth looking at. I had a Feisol... Ummm... Don't have it any longer... Enough said...

Though I would like to have their carbon gimble ...oh yeah
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Doug, my concern with Manfrotto is that all their plates and brackets are proprietary, and not A-S compatible. If I don't decide to go high-end, I want the freedom to move up later without having to ditch my QR plates, etc.

I'm trying to talk myself into going with the best first instead of a few years from now...RRS head and RRS or Gitzo legs... I just have to wrap my head around spending 4 figures on a tripod and head.
  • Options
    scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    You'll never regret buying a tripod/head combo that really suits your needs. Of course determining that last bit is the challenge, especially for those of us who no longer have a decent local brick and mortar store that allows us to handle different options before we commit. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    scottgee1 wrote: »
    You'll never regret buying a tripod/head combo that really suits your needs. Of course determining that last bit is the challenge, especially for those of us who no longer have a decent local brick and mortar store that allows us to handle different options before we commit. ne_nau.gif

I've never been to a legitimate brick and mortar store. I live halfway between Houston and Dallas, and Wolf Camera is the best I have access to. They're horrible.
  • Options
    scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    I've never been to a legitimate brick and mortar store. I live halfway between Houston and Dallas, and Wolf Camera is the best I have access to. They're horrible.

The demise of local professional photo gear stores is a sad consequence of so many of us going for the deals offered by on-line merchants. Well, that and the destruction of the overall economy over the past 30 years . . . but I digress.

Deciding which tripod to buy is particularly challenging to do in the abstract because they're very much about feel and fit, rather like clothing. All the measurements may be 'right' but it may, or may not, be the best choice for your needs. I remember spending about an hour in a local shop years ago, playing with a number of tripods. Even though the basic concept was the same -- three adjustable legs with a platform on top -- I rejected most because they didn't 'feel' right to me. Truly solid ones ain't cheap.

And don't even get me started on tripod heads . . . rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Doug, my concern with Manfrotto is that all their plates and brackets are proprietary, and not A-S compatible. If I don't decide to go high-end, I want the freedom to move up later without having to ditch my QR plates, etc.

I'm trying to talk myself into going with the best first instead of a few years from now...RRS head and RRS or Gitzo legs... I just have to wrap my head around spending 4 figures on a tripod and head.

The head I have has the round base and I just put my RRS clamp on it & viola... I hate their plates too... i think my model is the 468mg ... here's an ebay link... they have it priced a bit high...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-468MG-HYDROSTATIC-BALL-HEAD-/170808608454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c4fc86c6#ht_5343wt_907
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Ok, an update. I purchased a mint RRS BH-40 ballhead yesterday for $305 shipped. Now I just need a good solid lightweight set of legs that go at least to 70" max. I'd like to avoid a center column if possible. My budget is probably ~$600 max (maybe more if it's perfect...) ideas?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    Congrats on the BH-40. Love mine.

Save the extra $200 and get the TVC-23. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012

Ok, an update. I purchased a mint RRS BH-40 ballhead yesterday for $305 shipped. Now I just need a good solid lightweight set of legs that go at least to 70" max. I'd like to avoid a center column if possible. My budget is probably ~$600 max (maybe more if it's perfect...) ideas?

Good choice on the head... the question on the legs are... Carbon or maybe wood?
    Vanguard is actually making some real solid carbon stuff...
    Berlebach has some nice stix too... 2 section are the best & have the least transient vibration of anything out there... Personally i like wood... the extra few seconds to set-up or the extra pound isn't going to kill anyone.... The other feature i like about the Berlebach's ... their columns balls can allow tilting up to 30 degrees... (nice) ... with their collum ball you could probably do away with your new RRS...
    RRS are nice...but really... at about a grand...
    Just my 2 cents worth...

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    RRS are nice...but really... at about a grand...

TVC-23 is $830. It's a fantastic tripod.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Rrs
    DavidTO wrote: »
    TVC-23 is $830. It's a fantastic tripod.

Im REALLY digging the RRS 'pods, but a tough pill to swallow to drop $800 on a set of legs. My big question is, are they enough better than a well used Gitzo set that I can justify the extra $300 to the wife? Yeah, and NOBODY sells their RRS legs, I can't find them used anywhere. Been looking for quite a while. Maybe that should tell me something...haha

Edit:

I just looked at the Vanguard Auctus (thanks, Doug). Interesting design! I'm concerned that it's 8 lbs without the ballhead or camera or lens...that's really heavy. Has anybody had experience with Vanguard pods?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Carbon or maybe wood?

I'll never buy a wooden tripod. Call me an uppity tech snob, but I don't think this is 1924.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Im REALLY digging the RRS 'pods, but a tough pill to swallow to drop $800 on a set of legs. My big question is, are they enough better than a well used Gitzo set that I can justify the extra $300 to the wife? Yeah, and NOBODY sells their RRS legs, I can't find them used anywhere. Been looking for quite a while. Maybe that should tell me something...haha

Edit:

I just looked at the Vanguard Auctus (thanks, Doug). Interesting design! I'm concerned that it's 8 lbs without the ballhead or camera or lens...that's really heavy. Has anybody had experience with Vanguard pods?

I upgraded from a Gitzo to the RRS and think it's significantly better. I got a deal on the RRS, so it was an easy decision. But it's definitely without any doubt better than the Gitzo. For reference, I had the 2531.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    ...I got a deal on the RRS...

So how can I get a deal on the RRS??? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    So how can I get a deal on the RRS??? ear.gif

Honestly, I don't know. Call me lucky.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    I'll never buy a wooden tripod. Call me an uppity tech snob, but I don't think this is 1924.

Well you uppity little snob...lol wings.gif
    There is much merit to wood... If you ding it it doesn't fracture or splinter as is possible with carbon. And... If vibration is a huge concern... Nothing... I repeat, nothing... beats it for it's damping qualities...
    Oh and plus... Wood just looks & feels nice... But I like wooden boats too so what do I know...lol

I have a vanguard monopod... I love the quarter turn lock-unlock... Does RRS offer that?

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2012
    found
    Update:

After considerable thought, I finally purchased a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT. I don't do any hiking or backpacking, and the lightweight aspect of some of the gitzo or rrs choices aren't as important as stability and height.

Thanks Doug for reminding me about Vanguard! I never considered them until you mentioned them.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    Update:

After considerable thought, I finally purchased a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT. I don't do any hiking or backpacking, and the lightweight aspect of some of the gitzo or rrs choices aren't as important as stability and height.

Thanks Doug for reminding me about Vanguard! I never considered them until you mentioned them.

How are you liking your new pod?

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    Love it! It's a chunky little bugger, but it's rock solid. The RRS BH-40 is an absolute gem.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    The RRS BH-40 is an absolute gem.

Yep, it sure is! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus