Busy Background

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited April 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Does this background work?

i-TnVrXFH-XL.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Striking Portrait, What Background :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Agree with Ben: it is a striking portrait. But if the question is whether the background improves or detracts, it detracts, but likely would not be noticed without your title and text.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    Agree that it's a nice portrait. The raised arms of the person in the background make the boy look a bit like he has horns, and yes, it's somewhat distracting. Still the look of the kid is so intense, I'm not sure it matters much. The rest of the stuff in the background doesn't bother me.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Thanks guys, the kid was actually part of intense labour activity filling bags with corn and load on truck it was peak summer. I had mixed feeling about distracting arm sometimes they look distraction and sometimes they transport me back in those intense moments. Thought to take your input!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Aside from the background. I'm slightly dissatisfied with the blacks in the image. They aren't that deep, nor are some of the other colours compared to other of your shots. It's as if they are faded or washed out. The reds in the headscarf excepted, which might be slightly overcooked. Did you play with the luminance or saturation at all?
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Great portrait. But agree with others that background is a bit distracting. Have you considered using PS to select the background only, and try teasing in a bit of Gaussian/Camera Blur to simulate a shallower depth of field.

With your permission (I can remove if you prefer), something like this:
    Awais-BoyPic2.jpg
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • The anxious oneThe anxious one Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    aj986s wrote: »
    Great portrait. But agree with others that background is a bit distracting. Have you considered using PS to select the background only, and try teasing in a bit of Gaussian/Camera Blur to simulate a shallower depth of field.

With your permission (I can remove if you prefer), something like this:
    Awais-BoyPic2.jpg

How should I select the background and apply the blur. I shot alot of sports and am dissatified with a lot of the background.
    James Lamb

J. Lamb Photo

www.jlambphoto.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    How should I select the background and apply the blur. I shot alot of sports and am dissatified with a lot of the background.

Try Alien Skin Bokeh. A photoshop (Elements) plug in with background blur presets. Emulates f2.8, f8, etc...

Works great for me shooting bullriding, those folks are right on top of the rider
    Rags
  • The anxious oneThe anxious one Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Try Alien Skin Bokeh. A photoshop (Elements) plug in with background blur presets. Emulates f2.8, f8, etc...

Works great for me shooting bullriding, those folks are right on top of the rider

Cool. I am going to the rodeo at the end of the month. I shoot MX and SX as well as moving sports. I am trying to get my depth of field right so my background is not so busy. I shoot from a distance so I am having a rough time with it. So maybe by blurring it myself, maybe that will work too.
    James Lamb

J. Lamb Photo

www.jlambphoto.com
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Striking Portrait, What Background :D

Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You have the market cornered on capturing the emotions of your subject through their eyes. bowdown.gif

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Personally, I like the image much better with the background as it was shot.
    It places the boy in context, and the context is appropriate.

If the shot was taken with a lower f/stop, and the background blurred somewhat,
    that could be better. But, given a choice of the original or the altered, I'll pick the
    original.

The only thing I'd do to the original is select that scarf-end at the right and
    lighten it up a bit so it is as red as the rest of the scarf. As is, it looks like
    a bone stuck in his headdress.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Original...
    +1 what Tony said.

The edited version looks.....edited. Pretty rare to see bokeh added after the fact that doesn't look like it. Love the original. Outstanding portrait telling a full story in one pic. thumb.gif
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    The guy directly behind him is a bit distracting, but it is a strong portrait. I think I'd agree with others here in saying there are a few items that could bring the image to the next level, but I would certainly steer clear of any drastic artificial bokeh as seen above. I realize that is probably just a "here let me show you" image, so I don't mean to cause offense.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    Cool. I am going to the rodeo at the end of the month. I shoot MX and SX as well as moving sports. I am trying to get my depth of field right so my background is not so busy. I shoot from a distance so I am having a rough time with it. So maybe by blurring it myself, maybe that will work too.

Try shooting with the right lens, and right aperture, rather than faking it in photoshop.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    Does this background work?

i-TnVrXFH-XL.jpg

The only distracting element here is that damn watermarkmwink.gif. Were the boy not wearing the red turban, the elements behind him might be distracting. But the red is hypnotic, and draws the eye right to the face, eliminating everything else in the photo. Powerful portrait, by the way. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I should not play in this league, but I'm compelled to say this:
    The eyes are the windows of the Soul and what you can see in the eyes of this boy is misery, pain and suffering, I believe that is all about this take.
    As bdColen wrote, it is a very powerful portrait.
    JMHO.
    Y.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 9, 2012
    I think the head dress keeps the eyes focused on the kid. I'm fine with the background as shot. Of course, if you could do it over again without, that would be better but as I say, it's fine as is.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Awais, I think this background is not the best. I have tried it darker but it doesn't look good.

I think the background in portraits assume a great importance and this one is a bit too strong mainly on the orange areas at far behind.

The arms of the man is not very important... Have you tried another crop ?

3/4 vertical ?

I have and it is a bit too tight however...

:D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks all for valuable input! i will work around with suggestions!

My Gallery