No Bugs Yet, Just Oil Drops

R. ScottR. Scott Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited March 24, 2012 in Holy Macro
I haven't seen too many bugs around the yard yet, and it's still too early for flowers up here in the Northeast, but that's OK . . . I think I'm hooked on oil drops. I decided to give it a try after viewing some recent postings here and the results are pretty fascinating. Some shots take on the appearance of space, others are simply abstract. Here are a few examples. Thanks for looking!

DSC5717-M.jpg

DSC7274-L.jpg

DSC6203-M.jpg

DSC4785-M.jpg

DSC5745-M.jpg

Comments

• JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Just fantastic. Beautiful images! I'm completely new to this style of photograph. How do you set it up and light it? Those colors are intense!
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Wonderful series of absracts !
    Brian v.
  • R. ScottR. Scott Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    How do you set it up and light it? Those colors are intense!

Set up is simply oil and water in a clear glass bowl placed on a compact disc, and the CD is lit from the side by a desk lamp. I do not take credit for that - I copied it from some postings here and on the web. There is a lot of trial and error involved, however, to get the right colors and "look". I just move the lamp and camera around until I like what I see and then start shooting, sometimes moving the lamp as I shoot to see what happens. I have tried different lamps (incandescent, halogen, clear bulb, frosted bulb), bowls, oils, focal lengths, apertures, etc.

The colors you see are pretty much SOOC. Post processing is mainly limited to adjusting levels to lighten/darken the shot, cropping, a little sharpening, and noise reduction.

I'll warn you . . . this can be addictive. Have fun.
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Beautiful, well done!