Options

Girls Varsity Lacrosse

LINYBIMMERLINYBIMMER Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 1, 2012 in Sports
Hi all, my first post on DGrin. Three Lacrosse shots from my daughters first lacrosse game of the season:

7005712447_bc77693b60_z.jpg
DSC03649 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

7005710315_c491f2a1e0_z.jpg
DSC03626 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

6859589334_c9f2f00910_z.jpg
DSC03595 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Y'all get to play (and shoot) in DAYLIGHT!?!?! rolleyes1.gif
    PS: Welcome to the asylum!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Thanks Icebear - Yes, here on the Island, all the games are typically during the day. Makes it easier when you can select an ISO of 200, F/4 and 1/800 - 1/1250 SS.
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    thumb.gif
    Regards

Will
    edited March 27, 2012
    Overall these look quite nice. I might suggest that you shoot from an angle that does not have a lot of background clutter. For example, #1 would look much better if there were not people and bleachers in the background. This is hard to do--sometimes impossible--but it will really make the subject of the photo stand out much better.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Overall these look quite nice. I might suggest that you shoot from an angle that does not have a lot of background clutter. For example, #1 would look much better if there were not people and bleachers in the background. This is hard to do--sometimes impossible--but it will really make the subject of the photo stand out much better.

Thanks John, you're absolutely right. Composition is my weakest skill set when it comes to sports. It's foremost now, and I have a game I'm shooting this afternoon, so I'll hope to improve.
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Nice set. Love #2 !
  • Options
    phatmanphatman Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Liny,
    very nice set. the background thing, you will find, is just a positioning thing.
    show some more!
    thanks for sharing.
    B
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    more lax shots
    Thanks Phatman & Jacob,I appreciate the encouraging words. My daughters team played (and won!) yesterday. Afternoon sun at a very low angle, no clouds. Here are a few shots from the set. ISO 200, f4, 1/1000 ss

6881420388_bf4cd63504_z.jpg
    DSC04225 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

6881422276_63e92998f0_z.jpg
    DSC04246 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

7027514191_4d15aa8f09_z.jpg
    DSC04178 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

My daughter in #1 & #3. Heading to USC next year as a defender.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    LINYBIMMER wrote: »
    Thanks John, you're absolutely right. Composition is my weakest skill set when it comes to sports. It's foremost now, and I have a game I'm shooting this afternoon, so I'll hope to improve.

Just takes practice...My early sports shots had TONS of clutter! I was so enamored with the action that I didn't even notice at first.

It looks like it was overcast when you took the above shots. This makes life easier, as you can shoot from any angle. One of the pro teams that I regularly shoot requires the shooters to be on the unfavorable side of the field (i.e. shooting into the sun) for afternoon games, which is really annoying. In addition, one of the best angles (for night games anyway) has an advert for the local porta-potty in rather large letters. Really spoils a good shot!

p1029524096-4.jpg

Sometimes the total amount of clutter around the field, combined with the direction of the sun, just don't leave much choice aside from shooting with a large aperture lens and blurring out the background.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    Congrats on USC. Good to see all the schools adding programs. Looks like Long flights to see her play from NY.

Good work--couple of comments--# 1has the best action/moment. The third girl in the back/middle is so close even with a f2.8 she's probably not going to be fading into the back ground. Just not much you can do there. However, I would have cropped closer to help remove some more of the blue container. But often there is just a pile of junk around the field no matter what you do. Last year, my daughter played a tournament at the Naval Academy--right next to the Severn river. Sound picturesque, but between the field and the water were turned over soccer goals, a chainlink fence and cars--and the backgrounds in the other directions were even worse....

IMG3679a-XL.jpg

#2 isn't bad, the closeness to you at the moment helps to fad the background--however they are just a touch past you and you really can't see her eyes or face in the shot (even if the goggles weren't there...)

#3 also isn't bad, but would have been better a fraction of a second later to have her arms extended more. Hard to time--sometimes, especially when starting out, might be better to shoot a burst since a cradle across the face can ruin a what in another couple miliseconds would be a great shot. Also, was this shot during warmups? (I ask because the girl in the background is running in the other direction.) Warmups can be great to get good close shots of all the players on the team, but you just have to really think about the setup so that your not getting things (such as extra balls, equipment or girls standing around) in the shot which would give it away as non-game action.

Final question, during the game, where are positioning yourself?

Look forward to seeing more
    Regards

Will
    edited March 30, 2012
    Thanks Will. The 3rd shot was during the game. Since my daughter plays low D, one of the middies had to go back on defense since she got the ground ball and the green light to run it up the field. It's funny to see her on offense - I'm not used to seeing her in offensive posture. I think the coaches are trying to help her out for next year by getting her comfortable all over the field.

I stationed myself between the endline and the forty yardline with the sun at my back. I've been taking pictures for all my daughters HS teams since 8th grade (she's played varsity Lax/BBall and Volleyball since), so the coachs know I'm quiet, I don't interfere and they end up with some decent pictures for everyone. No pro's cover the games for the team, so I'm not taking a job away from anybody, and when the local papers or TV stations come by I help them with player identification and backgrounds so I feel like a benefit rather than a pain in the neck parent.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    Except for during a draw when I might try something else, I generally stay close on the sideline to being even with the goal and wandering behind endline, generally out near the 12 meter arc. Behind the endline, I try and stay at least about 10 feet away from the endline--and that generally keeps the ref's from getting upset. I also stay quiet--actually that's why I got into photography; I liked the (relative) peace and quiet away from the "pain in the neck parents."

I tend not get too near midfield (generally not past the restraining line), as I just don't find I get much worthwhile from there. However, there are exceptions to everything.
    Regards

Will
    edited March 30, 2012
    wmstumme wrote: »
    I also stay quiet--actually that's why I got into photography; I liked the (relative) peace and quiet away from the "pain in the neck parents."

Amen to that!! My daughter plays soccer (U15) and we've actually had several instances of parents being told to leave the field by the ref! One parent was told twice, at different games and by different refs. I like the quiet focus of shooting the game, and not hearing every parent's analysis of what the coach and players are doing wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Another cold, rainy March lacrosse game on Long Island. I've listened hard to you guys and here are my next few attempts.

6886679670_863a6b923b_z.jpg
    DSC04423 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

6886677016_f9db578bfe_z.jpg
    DSC04404 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

6886675940_0e6fc322d6_z.jpg
    DSC04399 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

And, I'm the worst Dad (and photographer) on the planet. My daughter, a defender, came over with a ground ball and scored a goal. Me? I was directly behing the goal and didn't catch the shot. I'm sad!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    I've never had much luck being right behind the goal. Always too many players between my viewpoint and the ball.
    I like the first two of the last set you posted.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    From behind the goal can work--but there is a lot of stuff that can get in the way. Basically, you'll just have to get lucky that the angles work out...

281792895_ju7sg-L-2.jpg

281795960_pjCU4-L-2.jpg

What I like about being over near the endline is the offense will be coming directly at you.

1233315233_uAnHv-L-1.jpg

1233315526_nsV99-L-1.jpg
    Regards

Will
    edited April 1, 2012
    Great stuff! Next Wednesday will be my next opportunity to shoot Lacrosse. I'm planning to plant myself at the endline and see what happens on both sides of the ball. Thanks for all the kind words guys.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I like the first two a lot. The third one has real potential but perhaps could use a different crop to limit the dead space on the left. Maybe a simple 3/2 aspect ratio on the two main players??