Options

colors

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited March 28, 2012 in Technique
Hello, lately Ive noticed that my pink color from flower,sweater look like red????
NEVER REALLY NOTICED THAT BEFORE.
hOW DO i POST A PICTURE FOR YOU TO HELP ME OUT?

tHANKS
:photo

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    hOW DO i POST A PICTURE FOR YOU TO HELP ME OUT?
    tHANKS
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1620121#post1620121
    Since you're interested in color advise I do not recomment using attachement method, as it often introduces a lot of issues...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    Flower images in particular are influenced by the light source and light type. UV filtering the light from a flash and using a polarizing filter on the lens can help with colors, as can very careful white balance control.

As for posting images, it's best if you have an account with some photography hosting site. Then you can insert the image from that site.

It's also possible to attach images here, but you do lose some control over compression and there is a limit to the size you can post as well as a single image attachment per post.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Tutorials/Digital-Grin/Posting-a-Pic-on-Dgrin/1083138_j3zQcz

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62913
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Colors
    Im just trying to see what is looks like.
    The sweather is really pink. I had a similar problem with a flower a month ago even when using flash overxposing undexposing. 22075094_hvwMzD#%21i=1761722721&k=VTzVpHf
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I believe this is what you meant to post:

IMG1842-X2.jpg

If so, that looks pink on my monitor. I suggest that your monitor may need some attention.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Ok let me try this http://bph.smugmug.com/Clients/SOLEN-RAW/22075094_hvwMzD#!i=1761722721&k=VTzVpHf

SOOC of course I just want to understand the concept here.

The first one posing by the tree using the flash looks pretty much real pinkish
    The second one overexposed is getting pretty much the same color as the first one 9kind of)
    The third of is with no flash shooting with a 300 mm looking red
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif compare the one on my website please
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I believe this is what you meant to post:

IMG1842-X2.jpg

If so, that looks pink on my monitor. I suggest that your monitor may need some attention.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Ok let me try this http://bph.smugmug.com/Clients/SOLEN-RAW/22075094_hvwMzD#!i=1761722721&k=VTzVpHf

SOOC of course I just want to understand the concept here.

The first one posing by the tree using the flash looks pretty much real pinkish
    The second one overexposed is getting pretty much the same color as the first one 9kind of)
    The third of is with no flash shooting with a 300 mm looking red

The third image is both pink and red, the red being mostly shaded areas. There are ways of both preventing this and ways of correcting this in post. You should expect that colors in shade will have a different tint than the same colors in daylight, that's natural.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I moved this to the Technique forum, since it's not specific to any camera.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    This morning it was REALLY cloudy up here no sun at all.
    Only the sweater wasn t the right color, again last time I had a hard time taking pictures of a purple flower, even the flash didn t do a thing.
    You were saying using a polarizer. Do most people encounter this problem???
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    Were these three images shot as RAW files or jpgs?

If shot as jpgs,, what color balance setting was your camera set to. Sunlight, shade, AWB or what specifically?

To get correct color with jpgs, the exposure has to be quite precise, and I wonder if the redder sweater wasn't more under exposed than the brighter image in the bunch of kids on the floor, which looks over exposed.

If shooting jpgs in changing ambient light, and color rendering is critical, you should consider setting a custom white balance setting in your camera. This involves shooting a white or neutral grey target as a full frame image, and then using that image to set a custom white balance for your camera. Your camera manual will describe the specific steps for your camera .

If you shoot RAW, the color balance is set in the RAW converter software, and you can use the eyedropper to neutralize a known white target to color balance your image.

Some flowers, and some color dyes are quite "hot" in the red channel, and over expose there long before the blue and green channel overload.

I suggest setting up your histogram on your camera so that you can see each of the Red, Green and Blue channels, because it is very easy to over expose the red channel when shooting flowers.

And finally, some lens brands render images warmer, redder, than others. I think my Sigma lenses are warmer than my Canon ones, at times.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    It was RAW, color balance is always on AWB on my camera.
    Im aware of most of your replies but my question was more focused toward a specific color in this case the pink sweater.
    90 % of the time ALL the color are just fine ONLY the 10 % kills me as only a color out an entire outfit will not look right
    Ill play with the histogram and balance the white using a white card.