Options

Photo Pricing for T-Shirt Use

MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
edited March 26, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Some background:
Looks like I have landed one of the AMA Motorcycle Race teams merchandise companys as a future client. They are reviewing photos I took last week in Daytona and are going to use some for T-shirt images and on some hats for now. We have worked out a payment plan for me to give them first right to use the images. I will be payed for my time to shoot and edit on an hourly basis with a min. of 6 hours per race to shoot and edit. All my expensise will also be paid to go to the races. The photos will then be put up for there review for one week. They will pick out photos that they will use. At that time I will be able to post the remaining photos on my own site for sale as prints. The ones they pick will be able to be printed in Limited edition prints by me. They will be priced at a premium 20x30 Prints in the $300-$500 range, 12x18 in the $100 to $150 range.

We have discussed that there will be a fee for each photo used per item run.

They might run 3000 t-shirts per photo in the first run. There are (2) riders on the team so one photo of each.

Any pricing for the photo per run would be appreciated.
Not looking to discuss if my fee for shooting was enough to just give them the full rights. I am looking for anybody that has some insight for a per run price per photo. We have agreed on a one year use. I got paid a very far price for my time shooting and to do a first edit. This was not setup to be a shoot for hire and they get all the photos.

The additional fee would be for my final edit time and there use per a certain number of shirts.
I have only gone thru this once before with (5) photos for a calendar for a very well know singer.
I was paid $250 per image for the first run of 3000 calendars and was to get an additional $150 per image for each additional run of 3000. I was thinking of setting this up the same way.

You thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
www.mjrphoto.net
Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
(1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    I can't help you on the pricing issue, but just let me say congratulations! Sounds like a great opportunity!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    Some background:
    Looks like I have landed one of the AMA Motorcycle Race teams merchandise companys as a future client. They are reviewing photos I took last week in Daytona and are going to use some for T-shirt images and on some hats for now. We have worked out a payment plan for me to give them first right to use the images. I will be payed for my time to shoot and edit on an hourly basis with a min. of 6 hours per race to shoot and edit. All my expensise will also be paid to go to the races. The photos will then be put up for there review for one week. They will pick out photos that they will use. At that time I will be able to post the remaining photos on my own site for sale as prints. The ones they pick will be able to be printed in Limited edition prints by me. They will be priced at a premium 20x30 Prints in the $300-$500 range, 12x18 in the $100 to $150 range.

We have discussed that there will be a fee for each photo used per item run.

They might run 3000 t-shirts per photo in the first run. There are (2) riders on the team so one photo of each.

Any pricing for the photo per run would be appreciated.
    Not looking to discuss if my fee for shooting was enough to just give them the full rights. I am looking for anybody that has some insight for a per run price per photo. We have agreed on a one year use. I got paid a very far price for my time shooting and to do a first edit. This was not setup to be a shoot for hire and they get all the photos.

The additional fee would be for my final edit time and there use per a certain number of shirts.
    I have only gone thru this once before with (5) photos for a calendar for a very well know singer.
    I was paid $250 per image for the first run of 3000 calendars and was to get an additional $150 per image for each additional run of 3000. I was thinking of setting this up the same way.

You thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not sure I understand the pitch exactly, but seeing they are doing the marketing I would want to be sure my time and expenses are guaranteed. The 6 hours shooting and editing sounds a bit minimal, but I guess they want a fast operation. Glort would know better but I suspect 90% of these T-shirts should be sold on the day. Do you, or they, have the equipment for this?

My instinct would be for cash up front, and not some profit sharing down the line. These things are impulse buys. The "limited edition" fantasy is just that - at least in my opinion.