Adjusting Flash for on Location Portraits

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited March 27, 2012 in Technique
I have an opportunity to shoot first communion sessions one in late April and one in early May. I have two SB700 flashes with an umbrella and an Octodome.

I used them once as I noted for Girl Scout ball and it worked well, but setting the flash output was a lot of trial and error - mostly just guessing.

So, my question is how can I set both flashes close to, or if possible, exactly what I want, check it on my laptop and tweak it, instead of randomly setting the flash and tweaking many times?

I have an old hand held light meter but have not used it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    meter...
    You really need a flash meter if you don't have full TTL control of your flashes off camera. Or, you can do some math with the flash Guide Numbers and bring a tape measure to estimate and be pretty close. Other option is to set up a dry run at home, pre-set all the flashes and use a tape measure and diagram your set up, then replicate it on site. Balancing ambient will be a crap shoot, but your flash exposure should be good.

Guide number 160, 20' flash to subject = f 8. All goes out the window though when using any sort of modifier so again, buy a flash meter. I have a very basic Polaris meter that I think was $100 5 or 6 years ago.

Good luck.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    You really need a flash meter if you don't have full TTL control of your flashes off camera. Or, you can do some math with the flash Guide Numbers and bring a tape measure to estimate and be pretty close. Other option is to set up a dry run at home, pre-set all the flashes and use a tape measure and diagram your set up, then replicate it on site. Balancing ambient will be a crap shoot, but your flash exposure should be good.

Guide number 160, 20' flash to subject = f 8. All goes out the window though when using any sort of modifier so again, buy a flash meter. I have a very basic Polaris meter that I think was $100 5 or 6 years ago.

Good luck.

Thank you.
    Phil
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited March 24, 2012
    If you have access to the location beforehand, you can probably just set everything up and run some test images with a stand-in.

In one particular occasion I wanted to use studio strobes in a church that I had not set lighting in before. I went the day before, set the light locations, and took some sample captures with the help of a youngster who was happy to oblige.

In 3 exposures, I had my settings:

i-9HDpj75.jpg

The following day I just had to set everything in the same location and make sure that the flashes' power settings were correct, according to the previous day. Then I was good-to-go:

802303379_Gh58f-O.jpg

This was using 2 - studio monolights (key and secondary) and a Sunpak 383 Super compact flash (fill and catch light). All flashes were run as manual and all were on simple radio trigger/slaves.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Interestingly, The Lady and I are having JUST this kind of conversation at this very moment. One of The Lady's best friends (and a good friend of mine, too) is getting married in a month or two. I had offered to do some gratis engagement pics - when The Lady busticated her leg, which cancelled our trip. Now, our plans have morphed to me shooting the wedding, which will be a low-key, casual affair. Nonetheless, I want to see the venue ahead of time, see what my lights can do ... and I'll take light -test shots the day before, if possible, and at the same time of day ... so I know what I'm up against.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited March 25, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you have access to the location beforehand, you can probably just set everything up and run some test images with a stand-in.

In one particular occasion I wanted to use studio strobes in a church that I had not set lighting in before. I went the day before, set the light locations, and took some sample captures with the help of a youngster who was happy to oblige.

This was using 2 - studio monolights (key and secondary) and a Sunpak 383 Super compact flash (fill and catch light). All flashes were run as manual and all were on simple radio trigger/slaves.

I plan on testing in advance. I will also be using radio trigger and slaves, and setting the flashes on manual.

I wonder though about the previous response regarding the use of a flash meter. Can a flash meter assist when a modifier is used - umbrella for instance? If not, then would that mean that trial and error is the only way to lock it in?

Thank you,
    Phil
    Phil
    edited March 25, 2012

I plan on testing in advance. I will also be using radio trigger and slaves, and setting the flashes on manual.

I wonder though about the previous response regarding the use of a flash meter. Can a flash meter assist when a modifier is used - umbrella for instance? If not, then would that mean that trial and error is the only way to lock it in?

Just as a side note, the background will be beautiful stained glass window - floor to ceiling.

Thank you,
    Phil
    Phil
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    The flash meter simply sees the flash, records the information and translates that info into F stops, shutter speeds, ISO. What makes the flash, what it passes through (modifiers) is immaterial.

I can say it's dead accurate. Better than my trial and error method.

That said both methods work.

Sam
    edited March 25, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    The flash meter simply sees the flash, records the information and translates that info into F stops, shutter speeds, ISO. What makes the flash, what it passes through (modifiers) is immaterial.

I can say it's dead accurate. Better than my trial and error method.

That said both methods work.

Sam

Thanks much.

I have started to look at flash meters. Is there generally a preferred product and model to buy?
    Phil
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    I can only tell you I bought a Sekonic L-358. It will measure both incident and reflective light.

Sam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 25, 2012
    The Sekonic L-358 seems to be a pretty popular model. Although not the same model, I also have a Sekonic and have been very happy. I got the pocket wizard accessory since it's useful to fire the strobes using the PW's.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 25, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    The Sekonic L-358 seems to be a pretty popular model. Although not the same model, I also have a Sekonic and have been very happy. I got the pocket wizard accessory since it's useful to fire the strobes using the PW's.

Thanks. I saw that model searching the web, B&H and Amazon. It gets good reviews.

Phil
    Phil
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited March 25, 2012
    A meter that can read both flash and ambient is a very good idea, but it's not absolutely necessary. It is generally faster than using the camera alone, unless you have previously shot with the flashes and modifiers. Experience and a log book, showing settings, distances, etc. is extremely accurate too. You just need to translate the previous experience into the ambient at the event.

If you do get a meter, which I do recommend despite my comments above, be sure to test the meter with your flashes and your camera. It's rare that a flash meter will exactly match the sensitivity of all cameras. (It never happens.) Calibration through your testing is the best method.

BTW, I use a Gossen Luna Pro F, which is a null meter readout and extremely fast to use, ... once you figure it out. (They haven't been made in years.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 26, 2012
    A meter that can read both flash and ambient is a very good idea, but it's not absolutely necessary. It is generally faster than using the camera alone, unless you have previously shot with the flashes and modifiers. Experience and a log book, showing settings, distances, etc. is extremely accurate too. You just need to translate the previous experience into the ambient at the event.

If you do get a meter, which I do recommend despite my comments above, be sure to test the meter with your flashes and your camera. It's rare that a flash meter will exactly match the sensitivity of all cameras. (It never happens.) Calibration through your testing is the best method.

BTW, I use a Gossen Luna Pro F, which is a null meter readout and extremely fast to use, ... once you figure it out. (They haven't been made in years.)

Thanks very much again. BTW, I forgot to say before that photos you included in your first post are excellent.

Phil
    Phil
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    You mentioned shooting in front of a stained glass window... note the light changes coming through the window will effect your ambient light for certain & more than likely your flash output settings as well so be sure to meter again just before the event.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited March 27, 2012
    Cindy wrote: »
    You mentioned shooting in front of a stained glass window... note the light changes coming through the window will effect your ambient light for certain & more than likely your flash output settings as well so be sure to meter again just before the event.

Good points. I plan on testing on both a cloudy and sunny day if possible.

Phil
    Phil