Options

Some Very Interesting Corvettes.

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 3, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
This 1954 was sold to a member of the General Motor's design team and used as a special project car. It has a host of features not found on any other '54 Vette. There are numerous interior details that are different. It has a prototype steering wheel, a second-generation soft top, and unique treatment to the headlight covers. This was the only Corvette of the times that left the factory painted any color other than white.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-057-X2.jpg

This is the infamous 1957 Corvette SS. Built specifically for the international sports car racing scene, this car, unfortunately, never realized its potential. The Automobile Manufacturers Association ( American ) withdrew from formalized racing in 1957. This car had already been completed and was sent to race at The Sebring event. There had been little time for practice to shake out the bugs. The car had problems with handling and braking and, after overheating issues, was retired from the race after 23 laps. Plans to develop it further and send it on to the Le Mans race were canceled.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-059-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-062-X2.jpg

This 1963 design exercise was built by Bill Mitchell ( GM's design chief ) specifically for Harley Earl and is known, thus, as the Harley Earl Corvette. This car has been invited to the Bloomington Gold Special Collection more than any other Corvette.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-063-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-066-X2.jpg

This 1976 model was built for Bill Mitchell for his personal use after he retired. He had it built to his own specs....special interior and exterior appointments, and, most importantly, a special drive train. When it was determined that the aluminum Can Am engine would not pass government regulations, Mitchell had it and the rest of the drive train replaced with stock items. Miraculously, at some later date, the special engine, transmission, and rear end were put back into this car by " Smoky " Yunick's " Best Damn Garage In Town " in Daytona Beach.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-067-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    I like the text information you supply with the images. It's interesting
    reading. The photos are, as usual, sharp and well done.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Great job on presenting some awesome cars of the past! bowdown.gif Would you happen to have any of the GTP cars from the 80's? My favorite back then was Al Holbert's Lowenbrau car. It was a shame that he died in a plane crash sometime in the late 80's. Anyway, keep posting those awesome pics!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I like the text information you supply with the images. It's interesting
    reading. The photos are, as usual, sharp and well done.

Thanks for looking in, Tony. I appreciate your support.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Great job on presenting some awesome cars of the past! bowdown.gif Would you happen to have any of the GTP cars from the 80's? My favorite back then was Al Holbert's Lowenbrau car. It was a shame that he died in a plane crash sometime in the late 80's. Anyway, keep posting those awesome pics!

GaryB

Thank you, Gary, for the kind words. I do have a bunch of stuff on GTP cars from the 80's, including the Lowenbrau car. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    I didn't know Corvettes went back to the 50s. When was the first one built?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    I didn't know Corvettes went back to the 50s. When was the first one built?

Hi Lauren,

The Corvette was first introduced in 1953. They were all painted white and they all had red interiors. I clearly remember the first one I saw. The local Chevy dealer that lived in our neighborhood brought one home and gave a bunch of us rides in it. That dealer must have had some real pull in Detroit because there were not many '53 models made....I believe the actual number is only 300.

Tom
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Not to mention that the 53's came with a 6 cylinder engine!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info, Tom and Gary! I am not a car gal but I sure do learn a lot from reading Tom's posts and the replies. FYI, Tom, I am still driving (and lovin') my Chevy truck. :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Not to mention that the 53's came with a 6 cylinder engine!

GaryB

And, on top of that, they all had a sorry-ass two-speed automatic transmission. It wasn't until 1955 when they stuffed the 265 C.I. V-8 into the Vette that the car began to have some real performance.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, Tom and Gary! I am not a car gal but I sure do learn a lot from reading Tom's posts and the replies. FYI, Tom, I am still driving (and lovin') my Chevy truck. :D

I sometimes wonder, Lauren, how it is that I've never owned a truck. I can yell you, though, when I make the full-time move to the mountains, one of the first things I buy will be a full-size truck.

Tom
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    I sometimes wonder, Lauren, how it is that I've never owned a truck. I can yell you, though, when I make the full-time move to the mountains, one of the first things I buy will be a full-size truck.

Tom

I have always said that as long as I own a house, I will own a truck; I figure there is always something to tote around. Of course, this is Texas so every other vehicle is a pick-up truck. You should get a classic truck whenever you buy one--I could definitely see you tooling around the mountains in a shiny old truck!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    Beautiful cars. I can definitely see myself in one of those. Doesn't even matter if they aren't red :D
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Beauties, and well photographed, thanks for sharing your shots.

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate the kind words.

Tom
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    Morning Tom,

Another wonderful series of images and history on some stunning Cars.

I have to say, I'd never heard of any of these, so the history and story's were
    doubly exciting.

Hope all is well with D and the Mouser's!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful cars. I can definitely see myself in one of those. Doesn't even matter if they aren't red :D

I can see you there too, Mary.

The last Corvette I owned was a 1967 427 big-block roadster that I bought new. I kept it about a year and one-half before getting rid of it. Some of the time I owned it, it was my only car and it could be a real pain in the butt ( no pun intended ) as a daily driver. It had no AC ( couldn't order it ) and it would literally cook you in the Florida summer heat. There was no room in the thing....had to carry my golf clubs in the passenger seat. On wet roads...keep in mind that the tires back then were nowhere near the performance tires we have today...that car was just plain frightening. No traction to match the prodigious power. It was rough riding and LOUD. Needless to say, I'd love to have it today....probably worth a couple of hundred thousand dollars, or more. Who knew?

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Panther wrote: »
    Morning Tom,

Another wonderful series of images and history on some stunning Cars.

I have to say, I'd never heard of any of these, so the history and story's were
    doubly exciting.

Hope all is well with D and the Mouser's!!

Hey Amigo,

I'm glad you enjoy seeing these cars. I'm telling you, when you're at a show of this caliber, you just don't know where to look next. Wait to you see a post I'll do soon about some very special Ferrari's.

Say hi to KK and take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Nice shots there! thumb.gif

If you come up to Auburn (down, over, yonder....) there was or use to be a corvette museum near Fort Wayne. The guy owns every model produced....... i think.headscratch.gif

Sorry, I've not been on the forums that much. My newest reason is we're adopting a baby. She's been keeping us pretty busy these past few months. And no car photos because... well, Indiana. Cars are all in storage and just coming out...
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    Nice shots there! thumb.gif

If you come up to Auburn (down, over, yonder....) there was or use to be a corvette museum near Fort Wayne. The guy owns every model produced....... i think.headscratch.gif

Sorry, I've not been on the forums that much. My newest reason is we're adopting a baby. She's been keeping us pretty busy these past few months. And no car photos because... well, Indiana. Cars are all in storage and just coming out...

Hi David,

Thanks for looking in. I've wondered where you've been. It's easy for us Florida boys to forget that Winters can slow some of you folks down.

Take care,

Tom