Options

#99 - C&C Please

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited March 25, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been a while since I've had a chance to enter a challenge and I thought I'd give this one a shot. Am looking for some C&C for these shots. Thanks!

i-M4Lm3fx-XL.jpg

i-hDCbg2F-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    These are to much of standard portraits in my opinion. I'd never even heard of norman rockwell till this challenge so I can't claim to be very familiar with the work so my thoughts are not 100% reliable. In your photos, you have people posing for the camera at a re-enactment. What could have turned out nice was a photo of a couple of these guys together in action that is highly expressed.

If you look at many of the rockwell illustrations, you should notice that each expression is very strong. A great example of this is "The Bully Before".
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    These are to much of standard portraits in my opinion. I'd never even heard of norman rockwell till this challenge so I can't claim to be very familiar with the work so my thoughts are not 100% reliable. In your photos, you have people posing for the camera at a re-enactment. What could have turned out nice was a photo of a couple of these guys together in action that is highly expressed.

If you look at many of the rockwell illustrations, you should notice that each expression is very strong. A great example of this is "The Bully Before".

Thanks Mike. Yes they are pretty much standard portraits. There was no re-enactment going on and these two fellows were standing around just talking to the public and answering questions. I hear what you're saying about these guys being in action or even portraying 19th century camp life. I'm not sure when the next encampment in this area will take place -- with my luck it'll be the weekend after the challenge ends. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    My sense of Norman Rockwell is that it's "slice of real life" stuff, like kids eating ice cream but slipping some to the dog, and stuff. Kids, IIRC, are in a lot of his paintings. That said, I've pondered shooting some elder gents that gather at the coffeeshop every morning.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    What I get from Norman Rockwell images is an interaction, usually between people or people & pets. I'm not getting that with these, but I do like the processing on the 2nd.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Actually, he did portraits too. Here are three of them: http://ritratti.wordpress.com/tag/norman-rockwell/ :D

What I get from his images is the processing and a sense of "Americana". But we're all different and I'm thoroughly enjoying the various takes I've seen on the theme so far.