Just playing with Rockwell....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited April 2, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not that I could enter or anything, but I really like Norman Rockwell. He is one of my all time favorite artist/illustrator even when I was a kid. I have several of his works hanging in my house!

Anyway, here is a little play time I did today on an image I already had taken in Barcelona. What do you think? Do you think it has a Rockwell flavor??:dunno

i-d75LHhS-L.jpg

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Hi Joyce,

This is nice from you to try your hand in these challenges :)

I'm not sure if your image is in the Rockwell style... I'm also a fan of his work, but maybe I don't know it as much as to be able to answer your question...

However what you have done is a gorgeous work - very, very nice!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks Tatiana for responding. I know that Rockwell didn't get into a lot of detail in his backgrounds for illustrations. Thus I had added the mask to hide it somewhat here. I guess there is still too much. I do know that Rockwell did do some landscapes images as well as put in full scenes into some of his print work that was not for a magazine. Most of the stuff that is very minimalized is for magazines illustrations.

I think what I was playing with here is the 'effect' of trying to make it look somewhat illustrated without going overboard. If I get a break from work this weekend I might try a fresh shot just for fun!
  • sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    I love this photo and the effect and think it is very Rockwell inspired, without being imitations.
    JAG wrote: »
    Thanks Tatiana for responding. I know that Rockwell didn't get into a lot of detail in his backgrounds for illustrations. Thus I had added the mask to hide it somewhat here. I guess there is still too much. I do know that Rockwell did do some landscapes images as well as put in full scenes into some of his print work that was not for a magazine. Most of the stuff that is very minimalized is for magazines illustrations.

I think what I was playing with here is the 'effect' of trying to make it look somewhat illustrated without going overboard. If I get a break from work this weekend I might try a fresh shot just for fun!
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I love it~ regardless of the Rockwell debate!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Most of the stuff that is very minimalized is for magazines illustrations.
    This is a very good observation - something I hadn't realized before but is so obvious now. Thanks for mentioning it - I looked back at more Rockwell pictures & ended up modifying my processing to include more detail in the background & I think it improved the shot.

I like your shot - comp & lighting are both really nice, I like that you caught the kid in the air; the only thing that I see as not being very Rockwell is the motion blur - I don't recall seeing blurred motion in his art (doesn't mean he didn't do it - I just don't remember it); most of his action works look to me like stop-action. Otherwise I like the motion blur - the shot would have a completely different feel without it.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/