Options

#99 -An attempt

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited March 27, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been thinking this challenge isn't for me... but what's a challenge if not challenging. So, here's an attempt at evoking Rockwell. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Watching
20120325Seaport-Village003-L.jpg

Perhaps it's a bit more Rockwellian with some vignetting?
20120325Seaport-Village003-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Bill, I am SO struggling with this challenge, too!
    I think Norman Rockwell's main thing was facial expressions...they're what I always picture when I think of him.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Bill, I am SO struggling with this challenge, too!
    I think Norman Rockwell's main thing was facial expressions...they're what I always picture when I think of him.

Yeah... I really do know it's about faces and reactions and stories. I'm gonna keep looking, but my struggle with the content is crashing into my work life this time, too. I may end up sitting it out.
    Bill Banning

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    I disagree... I think this could really work with the right processing. Think along the lines of Rockwell's "First Love" print. I love the little boy's stance here... it tells the story. IMO... Rockwell wasn't just all about the facial expressions, even tho they do play a role in many of his prints. It was scenes from everyday life, story telling and americana ... and the style in which he did it.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I disagree... I think this could really work with the right processing. Think along the lines of Rockwell's "First Love" print. I love the little boy's stance here... it tells the story. IMO... Rockwell wasn't just all about the facial expressions, even tho they do play a role in many of his prints. It was scenes from everyday life, story telling and americana ... and the style in which he did it.

Thanks for the encouragement, Lisa... when you refer to the right processing, what do you have in mind?
    Bill Banning

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Rockwell produced his art using oil paints and were really more illustration than photo... so I would go for that effect. richtersl gave me this link to a thread that has some ideas for creating the look. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138604

I've been playing with the effects a bit myself... I need a better subject and still getting the effect perfect but it's getting there.

I would try and work in one of those effects and perhaps simplify the background. But, I think the kids are great. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com