Options

Looking for your honest feedback

LowTidePhotoLowTidePhoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 31, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Ok, I need some good feedback on my work. Here is a shot I took this summer in Ireland, what do you think?

ACS2770edited-1-L.jpg
Low Tide Photography
sports - urban - landscapes
www.lowtidephoto.com
andrew@lowtidephoto.com
connecticut - maine

Comments

• Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    Here's another from Dingle, IE

ACS3055edited-1-L.jpg
    Low Tide Photography
    www.lowtidephoto.com
    andrew@lowtidephoto.com
    connecticut - maine
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Ok, I need some good feedback on my work. Here is a shot I took this summer in Ireland, what do you think?

I think you've done yourself a bit of a disservice with the crop and size of this image. I looked at the X2 version in your gallery in which much of the upper portion of the wall was cropped by the size of my laptop screen. The beauty of this image is in the minute details of the bricks and stones and the peeling paint on the phone booth as well as the details inside the booth which are emphasized in this fashion. Most of this was not evident when looking at the smaller but taller image. I would crop to eliminate much of the top 1/3 of the image then the large size would show more detail.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    Thanks, I'll play around with the cropping and see what I can come up with.
    Low Tide Photography
    www.lowtidephoto.com
    andrew@lowtidephoto.com
    connecticut - maine
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 28, 2012
    I like both of them, especially the first for its color and textures. thumb.gif If it were mine, I would play with the rotation of the second one a bit to see whether I could get it to look less tilted--not easy with old buildings that may not have true right angles and on an inclined street as well. Still, I suspect that around a degree CC would help, dunno.

One other general comment, FWIW. While I think the first can stand on its own, I think it would be a stronger image if you had waited till something else had been in the scene in the lower left--a dog or pigeon would have been perfect, but an interesting looking person would also probably work. I look at that image and think, "what a great background." But then, I'm a street shooter, so that's just my bias.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    I think you've done yourself a bit of a disservice with the crop and size of this image. I looked at the X2 version in your gallery in which much of the upper portion of the wall was cropped by the size of my laptop screen. The beauty of this image is in the minute details of the bricks and stones and the peeling paint on the phone booth as well as the details inside the booth which are emphasized in this fashion. Most of this was not evident when looking at the smaller but taller image. I would crop to eliminate much of the top 1/3 of the image then the large size would show more detail.

+1 on the aspect ratio

additionally did you try to kick up the sat a notch?
    Rags
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    I like 1, needs more pop.
    2 is too busy, no clear subject, even if the subject is to be abstract.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    I agree with the comments above, I like them both, but as Richard said of 1, what a great background. But it is what it is, maybe a crop and some saturation/black tones would help. On 2 straightening and a tighter (square) crop?

Good shots!!
  • Options
    rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    I like #1. I think it works. I like the somewhat muted colors in combination with the rich texture. #2 seems awkward to me, the angles throw me off - especially the chair.