Options

Agnes Headshot/MUA shoot

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited September 3, 2012 in People
This shoot was arranged by the gal who did the makeup. She needed the shots to submit as part of a portfolio for a school she's hoping to attend. The model was a cutey, I thought. Comments and critiques always welcome.

IMG9410-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

IMG9462-Edit-L.jpg

IMG9490-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9419-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9436-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9483-Edit-XL.jpg

You can see more shots from this shoot here: http://www.desertilluminations.com/People/Agnes-with-Tiffany-MUA/22148470_F2T9dv#!i=1769183957&k=qzck6L5

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    These are kinda freaky, but very VERY cool!!

Overall a great set, but some specifics:

-processing could use a little more punch, maybe even get a little funky with some of them for a more "fashion" vibe (if the MUA likes that, of course - she may want them more realistic to showcase her skills)

- I'd bump the eyes where possible - not too much, but enough to put some light into them, eg 2/3

- I'd ask the MUA if she wants the bobbypin in and exposed like that - easy enough to clone out if she doesn't. To me, visible bobby pins always look like a mistake; YMMV.

- Careful of chopped limbs. I absolutely LOVE the last one - but she's missing a hand... ne_nau.gif

I assume the model is wearing contact lenses for those plastic-doll eyes? She looks like she's a mannekin in #4!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    these are quite well done
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    These are kinda freaky, but very VERY cool!!

Overall a great set, but some specifics:

-processing could use a little more punch, maybe even get a little funky with some of them for a more "fashion" vibe (if the MUA likes that, of course - she may want them more realistic to showcase her skills)

- I'd bump the eyes where possible - not too much, but enough to put some light into them, eg 2/3

- I'd ask the MUA if she wants the bobbypin in and exposed like that - easy enough to clone out if she doesn't. To me, visible bobby pins always look like a mistake; YMMV.

- Careful of chopped limbs. I absolutely LOVE the last one - but she's missing a hand... ne_nau.gif

I assume the model is wearing contact lenses for those plastic-doll eyes? She looks like she's a mannekin in #4!
    Thanks, Diva! I love the idea about a punchier processing, maybe even surreal. I have a ton of other shots from this shoot that I may try it out on.

Yeah, I know about the chopped hand on the last one. I had her shift over right after I took that one, but that was one of the model's picks, so I went and processed anyway.

Yes, on the colorful contacts. Funny, I didn't even notice them until I was chimping between shots. I think they'd go well with some punchy processing. Thanks again for checking in. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    these are quite well done

Thanks, Daniel! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Jole,

Interesting, I just saw an add (with photos) by the model on Craigslist saying she was available and she did list your name as someone who photographer her.

The photos didn't look like yours but she had that same hair pin in her hair.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    Hey Sam, interesting. Maybe they were some of the other shots from my shoot with her? Link above. Shoot me a link if you run across her ad again. Now you've got me curious. Thanks.

-joel
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Fun makeup. Ditton on the bobby pin clone in 1, which is my favorite of these. Looks like a fun shoot.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    As a headshot devotee, I love this set and #3 is an absolute winner.

I would, however, deep six that bobby pin everywhere it shows up.

Nice job.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Great stuff, Joel! clap.gif
    Great light, awesome framing! thumb.gif
    The body curve on the last shot is superb! bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Thanks very much for the kind comments, Zoomer, JohnGalt, and Nikolai.

Believe me, I can't stand the hair-pin either and spent some time removing it from one photo. However, it's actually a harder clone job than it appears if you want to get it perfect. I tried a few approaches including content-aware delete. They're all close, but leave artifacts, the clean-up of which just seemed like too much bother.

Really appreciate you guys checking in. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    This is where I have seen this girl before. She replied to a casting call. I don't think she fits the bill for my particular project but I guess I'll give her a shot.

Anyways, I've been busy with this project combined with a four wk adventure in Asia, I haven't posted recently. I am still shooting.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    She's a very good model with a flawless face.

Funny story about her though. The shoot was for an MUA which I mentioned before. We all got copies of course and Agnes put them on her professional port and even used one for a modeling ad on Craigslist which Sam had caught and showed me. So I asked her if she'd like to do a TFCD shoot with me and she said no, she only does paid work. eek7.gif

So my work was good enough for her to use for her self-promotion but not good enough for her to want to get more free shots. headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    She bailed when I told her no to light makeup, and minimum PP.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    She bailed when I told her no to light makeup, and minimum PP.

The word "diva" comes to mind. :giggle
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    A big thumb.gif for the MUA and photographer, I do like the shallow sharpness.
    My favorite is the last one....
    Does the model ware fake lenses ?
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer